Getting To Know You, September

Crowley

On 9/25/2021 at 9:35 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

Pretty much same as Glitterwolf, loved painting the larger scale WWII and Napoleonic plastic figures from Airfix and Italeri when I was a teenager in Switzerland, then moved to the states and discovered D&D/Chivalry & Sorcery. My first ones were some crappy metal ones, no idea who made them. Then the local hobby store got in Ral Partha fantasy and historics and I've been hooked since then (1978). I still have most of them.

DSC_0001.jpeg

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0003.jpeg

Edited by Poilu_1914
spelling
  • Like 12

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

The first minis that really grabbed my attention ( and let me know mini painting was a thing) was a box of my mom's old D&D minis she had painted. I found them when I was about 10. So while they didn't make me fall in love with the hobby they were the first I was interested in.

The ones that made me fall in love was a GW learn to paint kit. It was a set of Lothern Sea Guards iirc. I started and then never looked back. I do still have them. They are shoved away in a box somewhere but I do love them.

seaguard1.thumb.JPG.9305d878f129d2da0585c9867ed8d3e9.JPG

• Like 11

On 9/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

I think it was Onyx from Rackham. I did buy it. I've started painting him multiple times,  but have never finished him. I still want to paint him..

onyx.jpeg

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Dragoneye said:

I think it was Onyx from Rackham. I did buy it. I've started painting him multiple times,  but have never finished him. I still want to paint him..

onyx.jpeg

I have that guy too, he came as part of a starter kit. Excellent choice. There used to be a vendor from Michigan at one of the bigger game conventions who would show up with a wall full of the old metals. Wonder if he is still in business.

• Like 11

Weekend Quest!

For me, it all started with HeroQuest, and 3 minis from the set in particular. The elf, the chaos sorcerer, and the gargoyle.

I do still have them, though they're in storage at the moment. And this is the only pic I can find.
image.png.0276da4050b3155ab9bd5fd08fe808fc.png

Sadly the elf's sword snapped. But yes, I still love them!

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, Sept 27th:

What's the rarest mini in your collection?

I do not really know. 

I have more than one box of 

Al Muktar’s Desert Dogs

I have a handful of metal WotC miniatures from their 2nd Chainmail period. 

But IDK about the rarity. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I dunno, I've got a lot of weird stuff. Small artist-produced things, out-of-prints, production samples, and of course old crap. No idea which is considered rare or if any of it is worth anything (I've had close to zero interest when trying to sell stuff in the past and I'm not much of a capitalist).

• Like 9

Hmmn, I have a few convention specials that were limited release, but hard to say how many are out there and what constitutes "rare".   I have some unreleased Reaper models I got off ebay many years ago, and a few of those tokens like Crowley's bottle cap (but not that one).   I have yet to have any custom figure sculpts done. 

• Like 10

I genuinely don't know.

I have some "old" stuff from the early 90s, mostly Ral Partha, but no clue of their overall rarity. I have a Ral Partha "Dragon of the Month", 10-370 Cyborg Dragon, that "feels" a little bit exclusive. And knowing of the existence of ReaperCon's melt table, some pieces have become rarer.

I guess the ReaperCon resin minis are also somewhat rare.

• Like 11

Weekend Quest!

Honestly couldn't say. I do remember a little hobby/train store in my area back in the late 70's/early 80's that had a shelf of what were likely Ral Partha figures as that company wasn't located too far away. It was absolutely fascinating to child Thoramel. My dad would let me stand there and stare at them forever. Whether or not I ever bought or painted one I honestly cannot remember. And if I did I certainly don't have it now. But it's one of those things that stuck in my memory and probably influenced my hobby pursuits as an adult.

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I've got a few of those GF9 "limited edition" miniatures like the Zombie T-rex and the Demogorgon figure. But I have no idea if those are actually rare or really that limited. Despite the boxes saying only 1500 made, I still manage to find an awful lot of them for sale.

• Like 10