Getting To Know You, September

Crowley

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, Sept 27th:

What's the rarest mini in your collection?

I have some old AD&D miniatures from Ral Partha that are still in the blister, some are so delicate that I don't want to take them out right now. One of my rarest that I was proud to get is the old White Dwarf Skulz Promo Ultramarines Standard Bearer, it was a limited release that could only be gotten with Skulz Points. Still working on him so far, he's one of the only minis I've seen with a separate solid metal base.

20210927_103518.thumb.jpg.c78add6898d9a8005b2bbd5260ef116c.jpg

• Like 13

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Hard to say, because I don't have a lot of the older stuff (wasn't a Warhammer or 40k player, Ral Partha was BC = Before Collecting).

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's probably another Rackham figure, most likely the Archon of the Faathi:

archonoffaathi.thumb.jpg.fe27eef4223ecb56f9e98b41c6b62a0a.jpg

I'm not sure when he was released, but I think he was towards the end of the metal production days, so maybe 2006 to 2007? He's still shrink-wrapped in the box. Unfortunately, you can still get him from recasters, so that probably affects the rarity... or enhances it, I dunno which.

Apart from that, I've got one or two limited CMON figures back from when they had their own store.

In twenty more years all my original Red Box Games minis will be rare, so check back with me then.

• Like 10

I’ve got no idea either.  For something from a major manufacturer, I don’t think I’ve ever seen another early Grenadier wyvern (W-59, with separate extended wings) for sale on ebay (or maybe once…) in 5 years of watching:

76E7EDF2-152A-4155-A831-B132DB984673.jpeg.4988345cf0dedbc0b7edbbb4ff7c4a45.jpeg

Just in general, my brother and I contributed a lot of the pictures to the Lost Minis Wiki page on those earliest Grenadiers:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Wizzards_and_Warriors#Single

Most of those are ones we’ve owned since BITD.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

I'm also in the 'I have no idea' crowd. I've got a lot of old lead from "Grenadier and Ral Partha, a few old Rackham wolfen models, 1 or 2 limited edition CMoN figures, and various Reapercon limited editions.

I think I'll go with the resin master of Nyarlathotep from Bones 4. I won it in the auction at Reapercon a few years ago. 

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

What was the most recent pleasant surprise you had?

Literally, this morning: my wife received notification that one of her papers was accepted for publication.  Now she's just waiting on acceptance from one more journal; then she can schedule her defense. ::D:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

We received a message yesterday at work that if at least 85% of my coworkers get vaccinated our employer will give everyone $1000 (whether or not we get there is another story). And five minutes later we got a call that our application to get my mother in law into an income adjusted apartment at a seniors only complex was accepted, that was a huge relief. 

5 minutes ago, VitM said:

Literally, this morning: my wife received notification that one of her papers was accepted for publication.  Now she's just waiting on acceptance from one more journal; then she can schedule her defense. ::D:

That's awesome, congrats to your wife and fingers crossed for her defense!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 9/27/2021 at 6:59 AM, Crowley said:

No idea, so I'll go with my Wyrmgear, since he's eventually going to see the end of all that greenstuff work and will be different than how most take a go at that dragon... 

38 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

I'll go with yesterday.  Was sad boss wasn't riding with me (exhausted due to a month of loooong shifts) and that I'd be riding solo, but...  My wish did come true. 

I wished "please don't let there be a full skid of paper on my truck".  There wasn't, it was short a few cases to be a full skid :p  good enough in my eyes. 

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

I spotted one of these in my garden yesterday.

European Green Woodpecker.

A small surprise maybe, but I love these kind of things.

gw.JPG

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

Confirming that I *do* fit in size 34 pants!

Considering I was 40+ size for decades (even wore size 46 at one time), the weight loss paid off as this size is easy to find in stores.

Finding the right inseam is still an annoyance (~30 inches). My legs don't magically grow or shrink in length with my body weight.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

The OOP book I want is in stock at Sentry Box, for 1/3 the price online sellers want for it. I also put some minis on the order (of course!) and am going to pick it up next monday. 

• Like 12