Getting To Know You, September

Crowley

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

What was the most recent pleasant surprise you had?

11 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I spotted one of these in my garden yesterday.

European Green Woodpecker.

A small surprise maybe, but I love these kind of things.

gw.JPG

I would be absolutely ecstatic of I saw one of those anywhere! They're really scarce here.

Pity that it didn't have a weasel buddy though...

_81366899_woodpeckerweasel.jpg.f5c1ca35dac2e505fbc8caec168350aa.jpg

My pleasant surprise is also ornithologically related, as we got a fly-by from a Great White Egret at a nearby reserve. They're really rare here, but can get blown up from down south by the autumnal winds. Absolutely stunning birdies :wub:

newFile-6.thumb.jpg.342901367ef8892f740026dc43281818.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

Our printer still had enough ink in the cartridge to print off a legible shipping label. It's about 15 years old, finding ink cartridges is becoming difficult. Will be one of the first luxury items bought for the household once new employment is established.

• Like 13

On 9/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

A14YEuXWhuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TSR's Huma's Silver Dragon. I was with a friend who was into car models and I happened to see that and thought it might be fun to try.  Assembling it wasn't fun so it say for years.  Was likely most of a decade later before I returned to minis, and I did try assembling it, but it still isn't done, But one of these days....

On 9/27/2021 at 9:59 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, Sept 27th:

What's the rarest mini in your collection?

Quite possibly that Huma's Silver Dragon.
I also have some older stuff that could be rare, but I don't know.

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

I got the notification last week that I'd been accepted into a clinical study about pre-rehabilitating back surgery patients (basically they are trying to gather actual data that an exercise and education regime before having back surgery helps with recovery).

Being in the study means my back surgery should get sped up a bit as well.  But there was a 50/50 chance that I could be in the control group, which doesn't get the 10+ week education and exercise plan.  Yesterday I got the email that I will actually be in the group that gets the educating and exercise.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 28th

Finding a store in Toronto that actually had a Grey Knights codex in stock and with a small discount, and they're on my list of stores to keep an eye on since they have hobby supplies that you can't get anywhere else for a decent price. And of course, yesterday Games Workshop notified me that the codex is back in stock. <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Being in the study means my back surgery should get sped up a bit as well.  But there was a 50/50 chance that I could be in the control group, which doesn't get the 10+ week education and exercise plan.  Yesterday I got the email that I will actually be in the group that gets the educating and exercise.

So the control group still gets the back surgery they need, just no exercise/PT beforehand? Doesn't seem like there is a loser in this study, which is good. Hopefully the 10 week pre-rehabilitation (prehabilitation?) before surgery helps to improve the outcome.

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

TSR's Huma's Silver Dragon.

That is a pretty mini.

• Like 7

On 9/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, Crowley said:

Weekend Quest!

What was the first miniature to really grab your attention. The one that made you fall in love with the hobby. Did you ever actually buy and paint it? Do you still have it? Do you still love it?

The first minis I bought were the Grenedier boxed set "females" 

image.png.9121a9066f97f5f5fb10f8741f83a9f6.pngThe hobby store also had a set of acrylic paints in little pots and I bought those too. I started with the ranger. 40yrs later the bard is still unpainted!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

So the control group still gets the back surgery they need, just no exercise/PT beforehand? Doesn't seem like there is a loser in this study, which is good. Hopefully the 10 week pre-rehabilitation (prehabilitation?) before surgery helps to improve the outcome.

That is a pretty mini.

Yep, the worse case is you do what you would normally do before your surgery.
I'm happy to get the extra coaching/motivating before hand, and hopefully it will help with my recovery...whenever I get to having the surgery.  So much waiting.....

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 29th

What is your favorite quote? What's it from? Why is it your favorite?

Pick a favorite?  Inconceivable! 

Lately, I've particularly fond of this one:
Only_two_things_are_infinite_the_grande.

Not sure if it has ever been confirmed if Einstein ever actually said it, but it is a very good quote regardless.....

• Like 11
  • Haha 3