Getting To Know You, September

Crowley

5 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Bonus Question for September 30th:

Who is going to Origins?

Never went to it. Unsure if I would really want to or not.

Besides, with the ongoing travel restrictions, it would just be needlessly complicated.

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for September 30th:

If you could transport yourself to a fictional reality (from books, TV, movies, RPGs, whatever) which would you pick?

I want a nice quiet life. So Star Trek: TNG era (working replicators, holodecks, advanced medicine, etc.) would do just fine.

I'd just make sure to be off planet during the occasional invasion.

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could transport yourself to a fictional reality (from books, TV, movies, RPGs, whatever) which would you pick?

Most fictional settings I'm a fan of would probably be an absolutely terrifying place for the average person.

So, even though I'm not much of a Trekkie, but I'd probably have to go with the Star Trek universe, it seems like a decent place to live most of the time.

• Like 13

Star Trek 2nd Gen - seems like a generally nice place, with lots of choices. Most of why I read/watch etc is not a place that I really want to have to live....

• Like 11

On 9/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 29th

What is your favorite quote? What's it from? Why is it your favorite?

spoiler'd for a "bad" S-word. (thou if your offended by this word, well......) Back to the Future. One of my favorite movies as a kid & it's funny. Considering the movie is somewhat of a family adventure film, the Doc saying this is just out right funny to me.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNUeFQv1zPl82ErsFfiiD

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Tbh, I'd love to be transported into Eberron, or Greyhawk, etc, etc. I mean we play the games, why not actually live in it.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

I tend to insert myself into a lot of stories that I read, it helps me grow my imagination even further.

8 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Who is going to Origins?

Nope.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

I will join the club to live in a peaceful Star Trek Universe with a working Holodeck, Replicator, Transporter etc, ( I do want a Phaser just in case...)

• Like 11

11 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Who is going to Origins?

Not I.

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't know. Everyone's saying Star Trek/some future where we have super great medicine to alleviate/cure all of our accumulated illnesses and/or nagging injuries, and I can certainly see the appeal to that.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go for GreyHawk/The Forgotten Realms/Mystara or some other fantasy world. 

Why?

Whichever one it happens to be, the world is a lot more GREEN. There aren't gazillions of people everywhere, the world hasn't been turned into a giant city, and there's still freedom to travel and explore. There's still cool stuff to do and discover.

Also, MAGIC.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Pern ... because Dragons. I wouldn't want to be out in Threadfall, but then who in their right mind would... unless of course you have a dragon. 

• Like 12

On 9/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, Crowley said:

Question for Sept. 29th

What is your favorite quote? What's it from? Why is it your favorite?

Well, lately I’ve real felt the Princess Bride classic “Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.” Because life is painful in soooo so many ways.

But when I’m just feeling regularly cynical, my favorite is Ivan Illich’s “Corruptio optimi pessima” corruption of the best is the worst. The best things in life, (learning, faith, health, etc.) can create the most pain and unhappiness when they are corrupted (awful schools, religious extremism, the American healthcare system, etc.). It rings very true to me.

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Some Ghibli world, most likely either Kiki’s world or Sophie’s. Like, they still have problems, but they’re so bright and friendly and cozy. And they have magic.

• Like 13

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Anywhere I could have an awesome (possibly telepathic) creature companion. So somewhere like Pandora, Berk, Valdemar or Pern. 

Also, a massive thank you to @Crowley for all the awesome questions this month! 

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Some Ghibli world, most likely either Kiki’s world or Sophie’s. Like, they still have problems, but they’re so bright and friendly and cozy. And they have magic.

Seems like an appropriate time to post pictures of the Japanese grandparents who built a life sized Totoro for their grandkids :wub:

6_23.thumb.jpg.dc263ecf66b4ee3541e82a139b5c869a.jpg

19.jpg.8ec279069ed6bb4e55d7a69c351ab741.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Bonus Question for October 1

If money, time, skill, etc. we're not an issue, what would your Ultimate Halloween CostumeTM be?

So many things to choose from if all of that weren't an issue. I'd have to go with some sort of movie monster. Pumpkinhead would be pretty cool. But so would the xenomorph from the Alien franchise. Maybe a Pumpkinhead xenomorph. that would be awfully creepy. But then again, having a rubber Godzilla costume would also be pretty great, and not just for Halloween. Grocery runs, shoveling snow, outdoing the kid down the street with the dinosaur PJ's - I can think of so many rubber Godzilla suit uses.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Bonus Question for October 1

If money, time, skill, etc. we're not an issue, what would your Ultimate Halloween CostumeTM be?

Quite probably a 40K Grey Knight, I like their aesthetic. Though there's already some good cosplay with space marine terminators out there.

image.thumb.png.100c639e0b89ab5bf2d4250e83d7ef25.png

(Courtesy of Becosplay)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1