Reapercon 2022 excitement thread!

Corsair

Unfortunately, swag bags after 2019 have been pretty much exactly what was on the listing, there haven't been any vendor extras like there back when they were bags and not pre-packed boxes.  So long as the swag 'boxes' are pre-packed starting several weeks before the con and sold through the web store, I would be surprised to see that change.

I'm going to spoiler tag this because I get a little critical and rambly here breaking down my perceived value in the swag boxes, and reading over it after typing it, I think it still bears saying but is a little bit the opposite of hype...

Spoiler

A lot of the items in the swag box some of us old vets are 'meh' on because they've been in the base swag for years and we already have multiple copies.  I probably have a dozen different Reaper Paint Cups, multiple Reaper-U notepads, a Pen from every year, etc, so new copies of each of those just don't get us as excited, but they great for first time attendees to get.  And I know some people really get into collecting the cups too.  

I'ts been nagging me, so I had to go do some napkin math on what's been revealed here and force myself to take FOMO out of the equation, and just look at the stuff actually in the boxes.

the 79.99 swag box.  Listed value 'over $90' but $20 of that value is a gift card, so I always mentally subtract that from the price as not relevant to the value. 

So if we subtract that both from the price of the box and the 'value' we're now at $59.99 for 'over $70 value'.  Ok, still a savings.

Reapercon Sophie, the last few have retail prices now of $16-18

Reapercon Mousling (he's not funsized we've been told) puts him probably around $6-$7 (assuming metal)

Derrell Brumby - Most of the reapercon iconics and metal minis hit retal around $7-$9

Game Envy Hobby Holder - assuming the base one without the ergo grip $20

Reapercon paint triad - $10.99 is the going price for a triad.

Hard to put a price on the stickers so I'll leave it for now....

As someone with tons of brush cups, pens, notebooks, I'm going to skip over those as take it or leave it.  it's also hard to put a price on these so they're kinda part of the fomo equation.

I'm getting a retail price of $65 for all of those items, putting each item on the high end of the ranges and making assumptions that retail prices will be similar to last years.  So that is more the $59.99 that the bundle costs after removing the gift card savings, but only a little. you do still get the little extras on top, the cup, the notepad, and maybe most notably the stickers which have an indeterminate value.

All in all though, I'm most likely to try to buy the items a la carte, since I also already have 2 of the game envy holders and don't really need another.

Similar napkin math for the barrowgate bundle.  $189.99 for $205 value.  less the gift card, $169.99 for $185 value.

Resin Bust - Variable. This depends heavily on the size. as the price for the jumbo high roller and the angelica bust last year is a good guess.  $29.99

5 bones USA miniatures  Roughly $5.99 each with recent releases, so $29.95

12 Super Washes.  Fast palettes are $21.99, so I'll double that to $43.98

Exemplar Wet Palette - $34.98

Brush holder - $5.99

Pokey tool - $6.99

Velcro Patch - Hard to say.  I can make a guess but that's all it'd be right now.

Paint cup and card game pack - indeterminate.

so, without the card game pack and the patch, I come up to 157.88, so I'm stuck deciding if

a.) am I willing to risk not getting something because it sells out in the boxes, and

b.) are a velcro patch, a paint cup, and a card game pack worth a little over $12. 

That being said, the bust is described as being larger than the previous dragon bust, so I'm going to leave some error on that price until I see it.  It could be that I should value it more like the Grudge or other comparable resin busts from other companies, which would put it more like $50-$60, which easily covers that difference in value that  I'm currently seeing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Unfortunately, swag bags after 2019 have been pretty much exactly what was on the listing, there haven't been any vendor extras like there back when they were bags and not pre-packed boxes.  So long as the swag 'boxes' are pre-packed starting several weeks before the con and sold through the web store, I would be surprised to see that change.

I'm going to spoiler tag this because I get a little critical and rambly here breaking down my perceived value in the swag boxes, and reading over it after typing it, I think it still bears saying but is a little bit the opposite of hype...

Hide contents

A lot of the items in the swag box some of us old vets are 'meh' on because they've been in the base swag for years and we already have multiple copies.  I probably have a dozen different Reaper Paint Cups, multiple Reaper-U notepads, a Pen from every year, etc, so new copies of each of those just don't get us as excited, but they great for first time attendees to get.  And I know some people really get into collecting the cups too.  

I'ts been nagging me, so I had to go do some napkin math on what's been revealed here and force myself to take FOMO out of the equation, and just look at the stuff actually in the boxes.

the 79.99 swag box.  Listed value 'over $90' but $20 of that value is a gift card, so I always mentally subtract that from the price as not relevant to the value. 

So if we subtract that both from the price of the box and the 'value' we're now at $59.99 for 'over $70 value'.  Ok, still a savings.

Reapercon Sophie, the last few have retail prices now of $16-18

Reapercon Mousling (he's not funsized we've been told) puts him probably around $6-$7 (assuming metal)

Derrell Brumby - Most of the reapercon iconics and metal minis hit retal around $7-$9

Game Envy Hobby Holder - assuming the base one without the ergo grip $20

Reapercon paint triad - $10.99 is the going price for a triad.

Hard to put a price on the stickers so I'll leave it for now....

As someone with tons of brush cups, pens, notebooks, I'm going to skip over those as take it or leave it.  it's also hard to put a price on these so they're kinda part of the fomo equation.

I'm getting a retail price of $65 for all of those items, putting each item on the high end of the ranges and making assumptions that retail prices will be similar to last years.  So that is more the $59.99 that the bundle costs after removing the gift card savings, but only a little. you do still get the little extras on top, the cup, the notepad, and maybe most notably the stickers which have an indeterminate value.

All in all though, I'm most likely to try to buy the items a la carte, since I also already have 2 of the game envy holders and don't really need another.

Similar napkin math for the barrowgate bundle.  $189.99 for $205 value.  less the gift card, $169.99 for $185 value.

Resin Bust - Variable. This depends heavily on the size. as the price for the jumbo high roller and the angelica bust last year is a good guess.  $29.99

5 bones USA miniatures  Roughly $5.99 each with recent releases, so $29.95

12 Super Washes.  Fast palettes are $21.99, so I'll double that to $43.98

Exemplar Wet Palette - $34.98

Brush holder - $5.99

Pokey tool - $6.99

Velcro Patch - Hard to say.  I can make a guess but that's all it'd be right now.

Paint cup and card game pack - indeterminate.

so, without the card game pack and the patch, I come up to 157.88, so I'm stuck deciding if

a.) am I willing to risk not getting something because it sells out in the boxes, and

b.) are a velcro patch, a paint cup, and a card game pack worth a little over $12. 

That being said, the bust is described as being larger than the previous dragon bust, so I'm going to leave some error on that price until I see it.  It could be that I should value it more like the Grudge or other comparable resin busts from other companies, which would put it more like $50-$60, which easily covers that difference in value that  I'm currently seeing.

Perfectly explained post on how I'm feeling about the swag bags. To add to my dilemma, I know for a fact I don't want anther Hobby Holder. I have one already, it's still in the bag. I don't use that type of holder. Someday, I'll toss it into a Goodwill box here on the forum & some lucky person will get it. So there is a $20 dollar value that doesn't apply to me.

As far as the Barrowgate bundle goes, I'm curious about the Super Washes, I wish there was more info for these before just blindly buying them. Wet pallete, one of those things, I'm curious but I have one already & I barely use it. Brush Holder (I have last year's & don't use it). Pokey Tool, I have multiples, including one of the first ones Reaper offered. So, there is that. I need to add up stuff I know I want & that'll determine if I get any of the boxes this year.

TBH, I wish they would go back to the old way of doing swag with other vendor items in as well.

• Like 2

Yeah, I am on the fence in swag as well. But I think I have to follow the same philosophy as I have with my stl/3d printing. Just too much that I won’t use so I will wind up ala cart. Otherwise, there is just so much bulk that I have trouble finding that one figure I really need at the time.

• Like 4

Minis are packed up waiting for their road trip down to Texas! Very happy to have them ready to go now vs the weekend before Tuesday of Con week.

FLGS game tomorrow night,  so Thursday hopefully will draw out those maps I want drawn out before I go.

• Like 4

If anybody would like a 2 queen bed room at the convention center for Wednesday - Sunday, message me!

I originally had my own room booked, but I will now be rooming with another teacher instead, so I need to cancel my original booking. I'd prefer it went to a con-goer, so if anyone lets me know by the end of this Thursday, I will call the hotel and see if I can get the reservation transferred to another person. 🙂

EDIT: room has been taken

Huzzah!

--OneBoot 😄

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but here goes…Does anyone make a list of ribbons that people are bringing that are not related to reaper? For instance, this year my fiancé and I will be bringing some ribbons to promote a new podcast we are launching. Last year I thought I saw a list of ribbons that would be there but wasn’t sure if that was done by the same wonderful people who are helping to set up and organize the forum bingo stuff. If this is the wrong place to ask this question I apologize!

• Like 1

Ok, pretty much going to confirm that I want to do this if people are interested, sometime Friday evening, I want to run a little Scion:Hero one-shot, which I'm tentatively calling The Apple Heist, wherein the children of the gods must break into Iðunn and Braggi's vault (Hidden in their New Asguard skyscraper) to steal a golden apple...

Looking to grab a few forumites who might be interested but don't relaly want to put it into the organized play schedule as it'd be the first time I'd be trying to run a one-shot for this game.

36 minutes ago, Dre18c said:

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but here goes…Does anyone make a list of ribbons that people are bringing that are not related to reaper? For instance, this year my fiancé and I will be bringing some ribbons to promote a new podcast we are launching. Last year I thought I saw a list of ribbons that would be there but wasn’t sure if that was done by the same wonderful people who are helping to set up and organize the forum bingo stuff. If this is the wrong place to ask this question I apologize!

Lots of people do their own ribbons, and sometimes mention them in this thread but not always. Some are intended as Easter Eggs, you have to know what to do to get them. some you can't intentionally qualify for.
There's a small list of official ribbons, and many manufacturers have some (heck I think I saw bombshell has like 7, and each for different types of purchases)

Part of the fun of the Ribbon game is finding out who has what and how to get them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Ok, pretty much going to confirm that I want to do this if people are interested, sometime Friday evening, I want to run a little Scion:Hero one-shot, which I'm tentatively calling The Apple Heist, wherein the children of the gods must break into Iðunn and Braggi's vault (Hidden in their New Asguard skyscraper) to steal a golden apple...

Looking to grab a few forumites who might be interested but don't relaly want to put it into the organized play schedule as it'd be the first time I'd be trying to run a one-shot for this game.

I may be interested. Depends on if I'm meeting my friend from Dallas on Friday or Saturday night. 

5 hours ago, Dre18c said:

I'll have some that say Sky Pirate. 

Last time I just put one on my own badge, and then handed them out if anyone asked me about it.    

This time I'm thinking about making people tell me they want to be a Sky Pirate.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I would be interested. I played Scion years ago and really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

I finally painted my first Reaper Mini since 2021! HAHA. We tend to print a lot of our own minis, since we can customize them on Hero Forge, but I also have a ton of Reaper Minis sitting around, and I figured I should paint one to enter in to the MSP. Not that I think it is good, maybe honorable mention, if that, AND, I just realized I forgot to remove the mold line on the head. Well, its done. Now my hands will be sore tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's why I don't paint as much as I'd like. Freaking Arthritis. In fact, today is probably the first time I've painted a mini since February! Yikes!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finally got one of my MSP entries finished last night.  Well, maybe.  Trying to decide if I want to risk clear coating it. 

Hopefully I can get my diorama finished - I'm not even finished with the base coats on the figures on it, let alone highlighting, shading, etc. 

• Like 6