Reapercon 2022 excitement thread!

Corsair

FWIW  I've yet to be able to bring myself to stay at the con hotel because I can spend half as much and stay at the Best Western that is almost across the street. Since I drive in anyway, it's not like I have to walk that mile in Texas September still hot. 

I'd love to stay at the con  hotel and be able to just stagger upstairs and collapse when lack of sleep catches up with me, but for now, ah well.

• Like 4

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Kinda curious to see if I could drudge up numbers on how many are in each hobby (comics vs minis) so I could see that in terms of percentages. For a mini convention, I believe RC is fairly large. But no data. 

I've a few general comparisons. 

Adepticon boasted 6500 attendees in 2019.

Nova had "Over 3000" in 2019, and happens the same weekend as Reapercon up in washington.

LVO in 2020 claimed over 1000 players in 2020 in the champs event alone, but I'm having trouble finding a total attendance number.  I've yet to see the breakdowns from LVO 22 yet, still early I guess.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I've a few general comparisons. 

Adepticon boasted 6500 attendees in 2019.

Nova had "Over 3000" in 2019, and happens the same weekend as Reapercon up in washington.

LVO in 2020 claimed over 1000 players in 2020 in the champs event alone, but I'm having trouble finding a total attendance number.  I've yet to see the breakdowns from LVO 22 yet, still early I guess.

Hey I can claim to be part of that number!! ::D:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

FWIW  I've yet to be able to bring myself to stay at the con hotel because I can spend half as much and stay at the Best Western that is almost across the street. Since I drive in anyway, it's not like I have to walk that mile in Texas September still hot. 

I'd love to stay at the con  hotel and be able to just stagger upstairs and collapse when lack of sleep catches up with me, but for now, ah well.

the sad part is that this issue is due in part (my opinion) to Reaper.  Either they haven't been able to negotiate a proper block for the hotel because the hotel is not willing to provide a good block of rooms and/or the hotel knows it's a holiday weekend and wants to price hike for football and other guests.

We drive in from Denver.   We can easily stay a mile or more away.   Yet, the experience of being in the hotel, to which a "hotel con" is being held in, is just much more satisfying than being down the road.   I finally found ReaperCon in 2017.   Before the new location, they were holding the convention in strip mall exhibition space.  Our hotel was a ways away but we managed.   When I returned in 2018 to the new hotel, ReaperCon became my Graceland of getaway cons.   I jump at going again in 2019.    When I booked rooms for 2020 (con cancelled), it was already getting crazy to get a room.  Rates quickly doubled and felt the allocated room block was much smaller.  I missed the booking in 2021, but after hearing the stories I was kinda of happy I decided to do a skip year.

In 2018, my room rate was $94.  In 2019 it was $99.  By 2020 I think it was definitely $129 or higher.  I think it was still the con rate.   Yet, 2022, I'm paying $254 - non con rate.  I just checked today, one-day after going up, and the room rates are now $419.   Definitely a situation where the hotel wants to get a cash grab.   I doubt they will provide more rooms.   And those that might open up from the reaper block may just get magically lost to the big money machine.   

My suggestion is:   Reaper should move the con to either the weekend before or after Labor Day.  Would it really stop anyone from going?  Or, now that the 5 year contract deal ends this year(?) maybe find a new location or press the hotel to contract the entire 300+ rooms at the con rate*.   They are guaranteed a sold out booking either way.  Just my 2cents.   Better for ReaperCon, Better for Us.

😎

* off site hotels are currently $109 and $114.   Embassy was $129.  $15-20 is not that big of issue and I'm sure Cygnwulf you'd be happy to be in the Con Hotel!!!

Thankfully my roommate was able to secure a room for us.  He has a much better track rate of getting in during the rush. 

I reorganized my basing supplies today and created a bag of surplus materials to give away at the con.  It’s even packed into my mini travel case.  I have gotten a lot of values from this tradition in previous years.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2022 at 3:17 PM, Pegazus said:

I’m not sure that staying at the main hotel degrades much from the overall experience. 

I think it's an inverse relationship between distance, with variables thrown in for your transportation & parking options and whom you're attending with. 

In the 90s, my friends and I used to attend Pacificon at the Dunfey, and we would stay at my best friend's Grandma's house about 20 miles away across the San Mateo bridge. When she moved, we were "forced" to stay in a hotel, and we figured it might as well be the Dunfey.  That was great, until one year we couldn't get in there, and we wound up at a cheaper nearby hotel. the biggest factor I found that staying at the Dunfey made was parking. It was a hotel that had insufficient parking for the size of the con. 

Second biggest factor was having to leave/arrive when the group did, since the 5-9 of us would car pool down from Sacramento and Fairfield in 2-3 cars. 

Similar experience when I used to drive across the Denver metro area to attend GhengisCon - finding parking could be a challenge, though not as bad I as remember the Dunfey being.  Likewise for Adepticon - I stay at my cousins house about 10 miles away. 

From what I saw in 2018 at ReaperCon, I don't think parking is a challenge (yet), and there are several hotels within 5 minute drive/20 minute walk.  

• Like 2

Remember that hotels are struggling right now too and in many ways are offering fewer discounts and fewer perks. It is fortunate that Reaper was able to negotiate as much of a discount as they did. I managed to book my room and am super stoked to return to con in person! Now, if only September wasn't quite so far away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 9:27 PM, Knighthart said:

and the room rates are now $419.   Definitely a situation where the hotel wants to get a cash grab.  

But if you look, you'll note that the only rooms available are the big corner and premium suites, not the normal suites.  I think they've sold out all the normal rooms and only HAVE the spendy ones left.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

But if you look, you'll note that the only rooms available are the big corner and premium suites, not the normal suites.  I think they've sold out all the normal rooms and only HAVE the spendy ones left.

Even those are overpriced.  Any other weekend of the year you can stay in a corner suite for less than $200 per night. Week days even less.  And the corner suite is not that much more than a double queen.  I realize that demand drives prices, but dang, it sure feels like we're being taken advantage of. 

9 hours ago, Keianna said:

Remember that hotels are struggling right now too and in many ways are offering fewer discounts and fewer perks. It is fortunate that Reaper was able to negotiate as much of a discount as they did. I managed to book my room and am super stoked to return to con in person! Now, if only September wasn't quite so far away. 

Sorry to be a sourpuss but I disagree with this entire statement.   "fortunate" that Reaper got what they got?   Thats like saying I was fortunate to get the last roll in the bakery and it was only slightly dirty since I found it on the floor".   

It's obvious this hotel has over many rooms still waiting to be reserved.   The new rate is $418+.    Thats what the hotel business calls price hiking for holiday weekends and knowing there's an event bringing people in -  and news flash.... its not the con down in the convention space.   Thats a slap in the convention host's face. Sorry.  

If the Embassy had provided a honest amount of rooms, more of the con goers would have been able to get a room. - maybe everyone so far.   Perhaps rooms would still be up for grabs.  The partnered hotels still have rooms at con rates.  So this is evidence this is not a person vs number of rooms issue. 

Am I excited for ReaperCon?   Yes.  Am I completely satisfied as a customer? No.  I like being at the Embassy.  I got in 2018 and 2019.  My experience will now be different.  Now, many are now facing a decision to pay $250-$420 a room if they want to be in the "con hotel" and that could be interpreted as elitist ... those with faster modems, quicker mouse clicks or just who's willing to pay the higher dollar.  I just feel Reaper is a better company than this, they are either shrugging it off,  and/or feel sorry for them as they got bullied  by Hilton/Embassy .  Also, this is usually settled in the contracts.  If memory serves, Ron told me it was for 5 years.   Well, 2020 was a bust but 2022 is year FIVE.  Maybe time to renegotiate or relocate.  

Again, if this con was one week earlier.   I could predict the hotel would have agreed block out the entire hotel at $129 a night.   We'd be happy and they'd be happy with a full house....

I want to be excited, I do....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Knighthart said:

It's obvious this hotel has over many rooms still waiting to be reserved.   The new rate is $418+.    Thats what the hotel business calls price hiking for holiday weekends and knowing there's an event bringing people in -  and news flash.... its not the con down in the convention space.   Thats a slap in the convention host's face. Sorry. 

I was curious about the rates *and* the dates.

If I want to book only September 1-3 (Thursday-Saturday), or Sept 4-5 (Sunday-Monday), I get the $129 price. It's the Saturday-Sunday period that killed the overall availability, and *that* price is through the roof.

7 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I was curious about the rates *and* the dates.

If I want to book only September 1-3 (Thursday-Saturday), or Sept 4-5 (Sunday-Monday), I get the $129 price. It's the Saturday-Sunday period that killed the overall availability, and *that* price is through the roof.

That makes no sense.  If you can get a room the 1st-3rd, and a room the 4th-5th,  how can there be no rooms for the 1st-5th?  Would you have to make two reservations and change rooms Sunday? 

42 minutes ago, Inarah said:

That makes no sense.  If you can get a room the 1st-3rd, and a room the 4th-5th,  how can there be no rooms for the 1st-5th?  Would you have to make two reservations and change rooms Sunday? 

I'm guessing that the biggest demand for RCon is for a single night on the 3rd-4th Sat-Sun. The rooms are still available before that date, and after it.

I'm seriously considering splitting my stay between the Hilton and the Best Western/Fairfield.

• Like 1