Dozus

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Welcome to the forum!

Looking good! I especially like the red cloak.

An odd, but effective tip for painting yellow is to use a pink basecoat. It's an odd suggestion, but it actually works

I've heard this! I'm going to try it out the next time I paint yellow.

• Like 1

Finished painting up the fifth in the pack, labeled as "Bandit." I painted the desert version first some time ago.
20210913_162911.thumb.jpg.9bad1ab6106c91c85bd40d74ecf24ddc.jpg20210913_162929.thumb.jpg.de013258e441820c805a3d9742a9b6ed.jpg20210913_162936.thumb.jpg.e254a524692d404f13cf95235c587bac.jpg

There was a lot of experimentation here. I tried to use straight yellow for the first time, applying Marigold Yellow over the gray I primed her in. Bad move, it took 7 coats to cover up the gray. I also tried to make my own brown wash by heavily watering down Ebony Flesh. It ended up somehow sitting more on top of the folds in the clothing rather than in them, and gave the whole figure a muddy appearance. At least the desert base looks okay.

20210913_162949.thumb.jpg.77e0649a5edb2b310f10272f1b314fce.jpg20210913_163005.thumb.jpg.d81d0c1a4f50655bb1a391ba5c04ccf9.jpg20210913_162958.thumb.jpg.15b8c96fb9e102a261a5296bad1740e7.jpg

I feel better about her autumn forest counterpart. I mixed a green out of combinations of Marigold Yellow and Heather Blue, with added browns for shadows and tans for highlights. I used Daler & Rowney sepia ink as a glaze on the leather, though it came out unevenly. Also used Flesh Wash for the first time. The brown part of the base is tea leaves sealed with PVA, with some painted dried parsley for the red leaves.

• Like 6

Welcome…some great minis here. I particularly like your kobolds as well as your archers. I think your being harder on the yellow or desert version then you should the piece has a desert vibe and the skirt does have depth to it. 

Gray will influence your yellow and make the end result more dull unless you use enough coats to obtain full coverage. White would help it be brighter with fewer coats. Typically yellow is know for poor coverage in all types of paint not just our miniature paint. I had worked in the auto body industry and yellow was one of the hardest to obtain good coverage with on a car as well. For miniature painting I have more luck with using an ochre or gold color as my base coat and then you can work it up to a true yellow. Depending on what feel you are looking to achieve with yellow I find an earthy red works great in the shadows rather then brown and gives a similar effect just with a bit more color interest.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the figures and how you vary the schemes. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marsya said:

Welcome…some great minis here. I particularly like your kobolds as well as your archers. I think your being harder on the yellow or desert version then you should the piece has a desert vibe and the skirt does have depth to it. 

Gray will influence your yellow and make the end result more dull unless you use enough coats to obtain full coverage. White would help it be brighter with fewer coats. Typically yellow is know for poor coverage in all types of paint not just our miniature paint. I had worked in the auto body industry and yellow was one of the hardest to obtain good coverage with on a car as well. For miniature painting I have more luck with using an ochre or gold color as my base coat and then you can work it up to a true yellow. Depending on what feel you are looking to achieve with yellow I find an earthy red works great in the shadows rather then brown and gives a similar effect just with a bit more color interest.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the figures and how you vary the schemes. Thank you for sharing. 

Yeah, after I had trouble with coverage, I read a few articles about painting with yellow. I'm working on some desert bases right now that I wanted to have a warm yellow color, so I primed with white and underpainted with some thinned out red before putting down a yellow base color. Definitely helped with the coverage. I'll keep in mind about using red for shadows.

• Like 1