Stynlrez - seriously smelly?

I thought it was just when pushed through an airbrush, Stynlrez primer got that smell.  I use a mask when using it through an airbrush, so i tend not to think to much of it.  Today i was brush priming a bunch of dungeon tiles and noticed how much that smell was affecting me. 

Am i the only one who gets a little fuzzy when using this stuff? 

Is this stuff okay to use without a mask?  Peeew!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should still wear a mask for the particulates.  you don't want to breathe in paint.

to set the stage though, i've never had a great sense of smell.  that said, i've never noticed a smell of stynylrez.  does it go bad?

• Like 1

I've never noticed a smell to it, but I only hand-brush prime with it. I've also worked around several strong solvents for years, so it's possible I might not be very sensitive to it if it's subtle. I don't prime more than 2-3 figures by brush at a time.

It says it's an acrylic polyurethane, so it wouldn't surprise me if it had a slight smell with the polyurethane component. It shouldn't smell anywhere as much as a can of polyurethane sealer for wood though. Being water-based should also tone it down.

• Like 2

Just to be clear, I'm hand brushing out this time, where normally i airbrush it.  The angel from it, just hand brushing it on,  is still giving off a really bad funk.  I doubt it's gone bad, but curious if anyone else had this issue with it. 

If i airbrush it's respirator mask all the way. 

• Like 1

I just went down and sniffed each of my bottles (solid scientific technique, I assure you) of white/grey/black, and might have got a hint of something off of the white. I don't think I've used that color yet, just the grey and black. What color were you using, and how long were you using it for? It's possible you are just more sensitive to it, like some people are sensitive to the smell of superglue?

I wonder if the smell might be more noticeable depending on how much is out in the open. You said you were doing dungeon tiles, so I am imagining you had a decent amount on your palette, instead of the 2-3 drops when I brush prime (again, I only do small quantities at a time)? Food for thought.

You could always email Badger and make an inquiry. I'm told they are quite helpful.

• Thanks 1

It was the black color.  I was using about 1/4 oz out to paint over about 20 tiles. 

I may just swap back to vallejo as I'm not really seeing a huge boost to stynylrz vs vallejo.  

I use Stynylrez and have Black, Gray, and White.  I've never had a smell from any of them.  Then again, my sniffer isn't exactly the greatest but if it's strong enough to make you ligh headed I imagine I'd be able to smell it to?  As suggested, a call to Badger may be a good next move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@AuberonI've noticed it from the day i got it, but it didn't seem to be an issue, but the more i use it, the less i like it.  I like the smell, kind of like that weird smell you associate to something you like.  Just that this one starts to give me a bit of sniffles and feel fuzzy after using it.  

Vallejo finishes more matte, so I'll just use the rest on airbrush and not buy again.  Also i hate cleaning it out of my airbrush.  Goes on smooth though, so that is to be said. 

I'm coming to the conclusion i either have a super sniffer or my bottle of stynlrez is the most potent version of their primer ever made. 

Either way, i really, really appreciate all of your input.  It's hard to know without more people giving me some guidance on what they experience too. Thank you, all. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you are a super smeller.  This morning before work I opened up two of my bottles and put my nose right up to the bottle.  Any closer and I would have gotten paint on my nose.   Only then could I smell something, there is absolutely something there.  However, I've never smelled it before either brushing it on or through the airbrush.  So, you aren't going mad (well, maybe you are but at least this isn't the reason). 

• Thanks 1