Favorite Metallic Paints

So, I know this has been asked somewhere on the forum but I can't find it.  It seems my search-fu isn't strong today...

I really love Reaper paints in general, but find the metallics to be not as nice as the rest of their paints.  What are some of your favorite metallic paints (Reaper or otherwise)?

Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, crowsandbones said:

Vallejo's Model Air Chrome is excellent.

I've been meaning to try the VMA metallics for years; I'd read that they use powdered aluminum instead of crushed mica flakes to avoid chunkiness, which makes sense for something that is designed to go through an airbrush.

I personally use the black label/second generation Formula P3 metallics (and entire paint range). I like them, the silvers go on very smooth and aren't too thick. Some of the bronze and golds get a bit thick and hard to mix up without considerable effort even with my vortex mixer (I'm looking at you, Brass Balls). Blighted Gold is a wonderful gold color that has a hint of green to it; I use it all the time. They've added some new colors over the past few years to shore up some holes in the range. If you want a "silver" metal that really looks like black metal, Boiler Black is nice to have.

I don't have any experience with the Reaper metallics. Maybe one day.

• Like 1

My favorite are the Scale75 metallics.  I’ve also been happy with the few AK Interactive Gen 3 metallics that I’ve tried.  Both go on very smoothly.

The Scale75 paints do need an agitator and considerable shaking.

Ron

• Like 1

I have yet to find a metallic paint line that I love.

I bought a lot of the Vallejo Metal Colors because I heard so many good things about them, but I always seem to struggle with them (should have tried one colour first before pulling the trigger on half of the range 🙄). Also not a fan of the Reaper Metals, although I use the non metal MSPs almost exclusively.

Oddly enough the only metal paint I really love Is an old Reaper Pro Paint copper that I still have. It's long been out of production and the day I finish the pot is going to be a very sad day.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like the topic of metallics is a personal preference one, like most things art related. 🙂  

I have one Vallejo metallic that I haven't started yet.  I want to use up the Reaper ones I already have.  But that will likely take a long while since I don't need or use much for most things I've been painting.  Unless I start painting an army of Knights and a bunch of barded horses.  I've also heard excellent things about Vallejo and Scale 75 just at random places.  That trick of GSW metal pigments and Vallejo Metal Medium sound very interesting.  

I also see GSW has a line of metallic paints, has anyone tried those?

Edited by Rignes
  • Like 1

I have a couple of the GSW color shifting metallics and a couple Turbo Dork color shifting metallics. I prefer GSW but the turbo dork has worked out on a few models so far.

I don't use an airbrush(which is where these paints really shine) but with a brush, the GSW is easier to work with and has better coverage by far. Turbo Dork took me like 8 or 9 layers to get where I wanted it.

I should say, the very first metallic mini paints that I bought were Citadel: Runefang Steel, Auric Armor Gold and Sycorax Bronze, probably 3 or 4 years ago and the Runefang Steel is only now beginning to run out. While I liked the colors, the Auric Armor gold and Sycorax bronze have dried up after only using them a couple times... Once that Runefang steel is done, I'll probably never buy Citadel metallics ever again when there are so many better options available now.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I haven't tried Color Shifting paints.  Are those analogous to typical metallics?  Or are they a different animal all together?

They are a different animal than typical metallics. The brands usually recommend applying over a glossy black base coat, but I've found that you can undercoat with different colors to achieve different effects.

I've had really good luck with the Reaper Pathfinder metallics. There's a good color selection and they're extremely shiny. Play with the undercoat color and blend by "thinning" them with brush on sealer (that's from One Boots Reapercon classes) and you can make some lovely TMM bits.

• Thanks 1
  • Members
On 9/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, Rignes said:

I also see GSW has a line of metallic paints, has anyone tried those

Vince Venturella loves the GSW metallic pigments.. mixes them with medium and they look fantastic..

Golds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_1W7zR-cA

I love the Vallejo metal color paints, but if you are only using a brush, mixing them with some gloss medium helps them self level a bit better  if you airbrush (and even if you don't) Barbatos Rex is a great channel for comparisons

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_66OBQNO8jXkHjlxnnxT-A

My preference is for Vallejo ModelAir metallics, both for brush-brushing and airbrushing; they go on very smooth and dry to a fantastic metallic sheen. Being so thin, when laid down with a brush they may need a couple of coats, but I find that depends more on the underpaint colour than anything else.

Their ModelColor metallics I don't like nearly as much, but I do use them for dry-brushing.