A video that compares different paint times to the same miniature

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the 10 hour figure was purely for the sake of experiment/comparison. Miniac often does busts and 75mm display pieces, so spending hours on a single figure is within his wheelhouse (though I think even he acknowledged the ridiculousness of spending 10 hours on a 28mm figure).

I want to try something like this. But instead of 10 mins 1 hour and 10 hours. I am thinking 15 mins, 1 hour and as long as I want.

But maybe painting the as long as I want figure first. The logic being that you can fuss around with different colors, and it will inform your choices for the speed paints.

buckyball

• Like 3

So when I have competed in speed painting events at Gencon, the qualifying rounds are 45 minutes of painting time, with two brushes and 12 colors of paint, and no tools other than a cup of water and a sheet of wax paper to use for a palette.  If one is in a final round, they give a tougher figure and 60 minutes.  

As a wargame army painter, this isn’t usually too bad. 

I’d be curious to try this some time, but, as you say, go as long as you want, down to the 10-15 minutes.  He did have his paint laid out on his wet palette and wasn’t trying to mix it on the spot for the 10 minute one, I think.

• Like 5

This was a great video and I'm so glad to see Scott go back to this kind of content. What I found interesting and have experienced taking on commissions was this sense that even when you think you know what you're going to do on a piece (he points out he's already done models for that faction at the start). The scheme evolves as he goes. Like he said, I think the reverse might have been a bit more interesting but one key thing for a lot of painters is how effective leaving parts of the model black can be. Scott is not a fast painter as he's said before but for many folks that first model is already a great result for the table top. Going back down the ladder, I'm sure he'll produce a stunning ten minute model

• Like 1