Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
I personally find the blended fibers medium by Liquitex to be a highly versatile medium. It can be added to any ground mixture to add the appearance of natural roots and similar debris. In this tutorial I will be looking at how to make an ice base using it. It is important to remember that in most cases the ice is hardly crystal clear and instead it generally appears cloudy white. The blended fibbers have a slight translucency which allows for the illusion of depth, while each fiber acts like a crack in the ice.
Step 1: Base colour
Use a dark base. Then tint it with the colour you want. In this case I used Cerulean Blue. This step can be skipped if you are going to be tinting the medium instead (thought a darker base colour is still advised)
Step 2: Apply Fiber Medium
Slather on a large dollop of medium. You can add some colour to tint it, but the colour will change significantly as it dries so be carful to not overpower it (you don't even need to mix it well as streaking colours may be desired). Transparent colours work better for tinting if you still want to retain the depth. In this case I did not tint it.
Step 3: Smooth the Medium
I did this by wetting a pallet knife and running it over the surface, followed by cleaning up the edges. The Fiber medium is extremely easy to smooth with a wet pallet knife. The thickness decides how much translucency the final product has.
Step 4: Let it Dry
In this case I liked how it looked so I decided not to dry brush it with white. Drybrushing with white would make it look more frosty. This took a couple hours for me, mostly due to the thickness I chose. You can see how the blue is showing in the photo, that is the undercoat peaking through.
Step 1: Snow
Mix some medium with Titanium white. This will make a nice snow texture
Step 2: Applying Snow
Apply the snow and feather it out with a brush, the feathering out makes it look more realistic. If you don't want peaks use water to smooth the snow (unless you want peaks to represent sticks in the snow.)
Step 3: Let it Dry
The base is now finished.
Put a miniature on it. Thats what a base is for. Unless you want to use it as a trap in DnD or some terrain.
Time for the next in line for Bones I.
Aina, Female Valkyrie. I will paint the metal version concurrently. I already pinned the weapon hand on the metal version, and pinned the arm for the shield. I’ll apply the shield later. The Bones version still has a ton of detail, so I suspect these will take a while. Planning Red/Gold for metal version (her shield is a little Romanesque), and Blue/White for the Bones version.
Next in line: 77049, Bones Arthrand Nightblade, Elf Ranger.
I tried priming with a 1:1 mix of Blue Liner:White Brush On Primer. There were a few mold lines and casting valleys that showed up. I put a layer of Brush On Sealer on them. We’ll see how that worked.
Taking a hiatus on the Mocking Beast.
Trying to gain some victory in numbers on my Bonesium Horde. I have completed the beetle swarms, spider swarms, and skeletons without WIP.
I’m going to do the goblins now. I plan two batches: one yellow/ochre, and the other tangerine. Some nice “non-Greenskins.”
Several of these required boiling. Some are still leaning. The spears are straighter. One of these was the beneficiary of a weapon swap. I had given Danar, Male Assassin 77030 his shield for a spiked shield. In return, we have a dual wielding goblin!
This one is next in line. He needs a better base.
This is a standard Reaper 1 inch base. And a sheet of embossed styrene cobblestone, for model railroading. I superglued it on, trimmed around it with an X-Acto, then sanded it down to 800 grit. Any gap left is going to get the Brush On Sealer treatment to deal with the seam. After this I just superglued the Mocking Beast on. No pin.