Cura Profiles specific for 3D Printing Models?

Just got my first 3D printer a few weeks back.  A Creality Ender 3 Pro.  Been enjoying it.

I'm using Cura for my slicer.  I've found a couple of premade profiles specifically for printing models but I don't know if it's the best one.  Does anyone have a suggestions for a profile they like?  

Thanks,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fat dragon's profiles are an excellent starting point but don't be afraid to tweak things, any printing profile should be considered a 'starting point' that needs to be tweaked for your printer's own quirks.

FDG's profiles are easiest found on his website which I can't link because of e-commerce rules but can be found by googling "fat dragon games"

As an alternative, 3d printed tabletop has a slightly modified version in this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaE7YPvh4E8&t=84s . He in particular uses some very different support settings.  I've printed several things with those support settings just as a test and while it can be a little bit of time to get the supports out, the quality of the print is excellent.

• Like 2

@Cygnwulf, I use those support settings too. Danny has a lot of good videos about printing minis with an fdm printer. My default starting point was the FDG_46_Mini_4mmNozzle_V1-11 profile with Danny's supports.

Here's a link to CHEP's latest Cura profiles. https://www.chepclub.com/cura-profiles.html His channel has a ton of info often dealing with Creality printers. While not specifically orientated for minis his profiles work. Today I'm fooling around a bit comparing several difference profiles and combining/tweaking them to see if I can shave some time off my prints while keeping decent quality. Having a bit of trouble finding the right temp setting and some of my minis have had terrible delamination so working on that too. If I get something working well I could post my settings for you.

• Like 1

Yeah, I already have CHEPs latest profiles for Cura 4.11.  Also got FDG ones too.  I need to explore the supports in that other video though.  

This is probably a loaded question as it probably depends in part on the quirks of each printer, but what filament do you like for model printing?  And does it even matter if you have it dialed in?  I've been using Hatchbox PLA and Inland from Microcenter for general purpose printing with some nice results.  Printed a Tricorder from Star Trek for a friend that turned out pretty nice with Inland.

I haven't tried many filaments and most of what I've used have been whatever was cheapest and available to order from Canada so can't help a lot there. All I can say is it does make a difference and even different colours of the same filament may need adjusting to get the best prints.

Just finished a test print and seem to have my temp right to get solid models again. Printing a Battlemech now to see if my new profile works more than once. I watched this video yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erIFwVcSpRo. He claimed to have tweaked the FDG profile to get way faster prints. After close comparison it seems like the major time saver is to turn off enable acceleration control and enable jerk control. Other than that the only setting he adjusted that really affected print time was upping the print speed to 60mm/s. That saves a few minutes but the acceleration and jerk save a lot time. Need to print more things to see how the quality compares. I'm always trying to find the sweet spot between good minis and fast minis. 

Yeah, acceleration and jerk are VERY situational settings.  one printer to the next, even same models, will have different necessary settings for those to prevent harmonics and wobbles and stuff.  The table/cabinent/concrete slab your printer is setting on could influnce the optimal settings here.  I think most of the 'off the shelf' profiles hit a conservatively high number here and a lot of people could speed them up some. I'd be hesitant to take them off completely unless your printer is rock solid in both assembly and platform.

Just finished my mech. It printed out pretty respectable. Using my older setting it would have taken about 3 hours. With the jerk and acceleration off it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes. My printer's pretty solid and the counter it's on won't move for anything less than an earthquake. I'll have to find more minis I want multiples of and try an exact comparison. The space dwarf I did this morning needs a bit of stringing removed but looks as good as one I printed last winter. Going to try a few more things with this profile.

• Like 2