"OSL Confuddlement": WIP of Bones version of Luwin Phost

Hi there all, I've decided to dive into the deep end with finally trying the scary world of OSL. 😄

Feel I've lost the plot on this ... so any advice on how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated! (Having fun, though, despite not knowing what the hell I'm doing. 😁)

I'm including a "top down" view, which is where I'm most confuddled. That dark line down his arm which represents the shadow from the staff which sits between the source of light ... it just doesn't look right to me.  🤔

So, I'm all ears for suggestions on improvements!

PSX_20210915_092258.jpg

PSX_20210915_092437.jpg

• Like 12
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice:  don’t bother with the effort it takes to put in that shadow.  Is it a little more realistic?  Yes.  But light photons bend around hard corners anyway, so it will soften/blur that shadow anyway…So, I think for the sake of sanity, just do the OSL like there is no obstruction.  It is magic, after all.

As an example: when Gandalf has the lit crystal in his staff in the Fellowship of the Rings movie, there are roots covering the crystal in places.  They don’t show up as shadows when he’s defending himself against the balrog or running through Moria.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First of all, congratulations on diving into the scary world of OSL. It is not an easy technique so good on you for giving it a go. While this figure is a great candidate for OSL, it does throw that pretty big curve ball of the staff throwing that shadow, so don't be hard on yourself over it.

I agree with Darcstaar about the shadow. I'd paint it as though no interruption in the light exists and see how that looks, if it still looks wrong to you, then you can gradually shade a less harsh shadow in.

As far as the OSL itself is concerned, first I want to start with where you're going right - you're doing a great job of keeping the rest of the figure dark, which is where it's easy to mess up if you don't plan your OSL out. You also have properly placed the lighting which is extremely important. It's clear that it's radiating out from that source and dims out at a realistic distance. Those are huge, and if you just left it as it is now, job well done, that would look really cool on the table and it's genuinely an impressive first attempt at OSL.

Now if you want to go deeper, where you're going wrong is that the colours that you're using for the light are all around the same value. Value is one of those colour theory words that describes the intensity of how light or dark a colour is. To our eyes, yellow may always seem like a lighter colour than blue, but it actually depends on the value of the two colours. So you can put a yellow and a blue next to each other that have the same value and it may seem at first that the yellow is more luminous, but the eye will perceive that there's something not right about it. So value is just something that you have to study and practice at to train your eye to perceive the value of colours more accurately.

The easiest way to check the values on your mini is to take your picture and throw it into grayscale. So if I take your guy here and put him in black & white:

bwwizard.jpg.f2c9dce0e4c167ae4abcb76e2e3c68e5.jpg

You can see that all of the colours that you used for the light are around the same value and in fact, the yellow that you used on the crystal ball appears to be darker than the value of the light that you put on the brim of the hat. Whereas you want your lightsource to always be the lightest value object with the brightness dimming as you get further away from the lightsource.

I think that anyone who wants to make art with their miniatures (which is not everyone's goal and there's nothing wrong with that!) should consider keeping an artist's sketchbook. I know that you do traditional art forms so I think you probably have a sketchbook already, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this, people look at me funny when I talk about sketchbooks because they're like no, lady, I don't sketch, why would I have a sketchbook? But that's the thing about a "sketchbook" is that a lot of people perceive them to be like an artist's portfolio but they're not, there's no rules so it doesn't have to contain a single sketch, it's really more of an artist's diary where you can swatch paints and try out different colour combinations and write out ideas and plans and notes about different techniques, etc. It's not something that you ever have to show to anyone and none if it has to be insta-worthy to be valuable to you as an artist. I personally keep a sketchbook for traditional art and a separate one just for mini endeavours because I've found that to be valuable to me. Not everyone would find it valuable and it's just as valid to use scrap paper or Bones figures or whatever method works for you personally when it comes to testing out things.

But anyway, the reason that I'm babbling about sketchbooks is that if you're planning out some technique like OSL, you can take the paints that you plan on using, swatch them next to each other, take a quick pic, throw it into grayscale and test out the value of your planned colours long before getting them on the figure and if keeping a sketchbook would be valuable to you overall, that's the perfect place to run tests like that so that you have them to refer back to in the future any time that you tackle the beast that is OSL. They also make artist's tools for checking value, which I think are a little bit easier to use with swatches on a flat surface than they are with a 3D surface because there's less information for your brain to have to process.

Anyway, like I said, I think this is a great first attempt and I think it went better than you think it did so just keep working on it, you're definitely on the right track!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@Guindyloo

Guinnnndy! You're back. 💜 🫂  (Sent all the good juju I could muster your way and was so relieved to get an update from Lord Dave at the Con. And, I remembered all the Buc-ee's advice from long ago when the family and I went around for the first time, all in wide-eyed wonder. 😲

Thank you so much for posting all that OSL goodness...

I went back and fixed that shadowed arm last night based off @Darcstaar 's suggestion and I feel much better about it. (Thanks again!) Also, darkened some of the lower-down hints of light. Now, to put your advice to work and fix that globe (and/or that hat). That yellow on the globe was irking me and I now know why! 

The grey scale idea for value is making me smack my forehead because I've seen it done so many times but never thought to do it for my *own* minis. (Major duh moment.) Thank you for making me realise that I should actually be utilising this  technique, as well. 

(Wish I'd started him properly, and primed in black. I decided after the grey went on -- and watching the beginning of David Diamondstone's class -- that I'd have a go at OSL. I'm a "just enough half-assed knowledge to be dangerous" type, so I did myself no favours. It inevitably leads to many, many bad attempts at pretty much everything. 😄)

The swatching along with checking for values is such a brilliant idea. Definitely have a tiny, paint-friendly sketchbook that I now have in mind which can sit next to my painting spot.

Greatly appreciate all your help! I was initially quite hesitant about posting for help -- mostly because I oft-times feel like I don't have enough of a solid foundation of skills to make good on the advice -- but I'm so glad I did. 🍻🍻

• Like 4
On 9/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Coffee Nerdery Beer said:

@Guindyloo

Guinnnndy! You're back. 💜 🫂  (Sent all the good juju I could muster your way and was so relieved to get an update from Lord Dave at the Con. And, I remembered all the Buc-ee's advice from long ago when the family and I went around for the first time, all in wide-eyed wonder. 😲

Thank you so much for posting all that OSL goodness...

I went back and fixed that shadowed arm last night based off @Darcstaar 's suggestion and I feel much better about it. (Thanks again!) Also, darkened some of the lower-down hints of light. Now, to put your advice to work and fix that globe (and/or that hat). That yellow on the globe was irking me and I now know why! 

The grey scale idea for value is making me smack my forehead because I've seen it done so many times but never thought to do it for my *own* minis. (Major duh moment.) Thank you for making me realise that I should actually be utilising this  technique, as well. 

(Wish I'd started him properly, and primed in black. I decided after the grey went on -- and watching the beginning of David Diamondstone's class -- that I'd have a go at OSL. I'm a "just enough half-assed knowledge to be dangerous" type, so I did myself no favours. It inevitably leads to many, many bad attempts at pretty much everything. 😄)

The swatching along with checking for values is such a brilliant idea. Definitely have a tiny, paint-friendly sketchbook that I now have in mind which can sit next to my painting spot.

Greatly appreciate all your help! I was initially quite hesitant about posting for help -- mostly because I oft-times feel like I don't have enough of a solid foundation of skills to make good on the advice -- but I'm so glad I did. 🍻🍻

If by back you mean I am lurking around like a spooky ghost, then yes, I am doing that. :lol:

I am so happy that you got to go to Reapercon and Buc-ee's! I hope you had the best time! I hope that the stars align properly so I'll get to meet you there next year!

I'm more of a learn by doing type person myself, so trust me, I have done plenty of diving in with half-assed attempts. I think it's important to be brave and try stuff even if you don't feel like you have a firm grasp on it. Much of getting better at painting is just building your confidence level and you can do that very effectively by making mistakes and learning from them so you know better what to do the next time that you make the same or a similar mistake.

Always ask for help if you need it, it helps sometimes just to get a second pair of eyes on something and even if you get advice that goes over your head at the time, it can help you in the future as part of that foundation that you're looking to build.

• Like 5

Really appreciate that encouragement and all the words of wisdom...

On 9/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, Guindyloo said:

Much of getting better at painting is just building your confidence level and you can do that very effectively by making mistakes and learning from them so you know better what to do the next time that you make the same or a similar mistake.

☝️ The mister and I were discussing this very thing over the weekend. How our mindsets have greatly changed from the very first minis we had painted and everything was either an irreparable mistake or just a total disaster. With some "arse-in-chair" time under our belts, the mistakes are finally something we can either correct or, at least, attempt to fix. Having that ever-so-slightly improved foundation of skills has made a marked improvement in our confidence levels as painters. ("I can full-on f* this up and finally trust that it might not wind up sitting there for months unfinished or suddenly turn into a projectile." 😅)

All appendages crossed for the stars aligning for 2022. 🤞 💜 (Spooky ghost lurking is the best lurking.)

• Like 5

I have been remiss in not posting a follow-up. ☝️

After reading and re-reading all the advice, I started in on trying to give Luwin a makeover. Messed with the orb (again and again and s'more). Darkened the glow everywhere to help with the orb. (Not sure that was entirely successful but I feel much better about it, overall.) With my new-found knowledge, I'm going to give fire OSL a go for my next experiment. 😅

Thanks again, all of you. 💜🍻

(I stupidly changed out my backdrop before taking a picture of his back -- so that's against black velvet instead. 🙄)

PXL_20210923_003015133 (1).jpg

PXL_20210923_003710418 (1).jpg

• Like 12