• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

burns.jpg

I agree!

Excellent work bringing that miniature to life. Also excellent work on the printing process as well. 3d printers are great addition to the hobby. Also, thanks for the scale size. I'll have to try it out on a upcoming devil figure that I need to print off. Scaling always gives me fits when it comes to printing correctly. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, haldir said:

I agree!

Excellent work bringing that miniature to life. Also excellent work on the printing process as well. 3d printers are great addition to the hobby. Also, thanks for the scale size. I'll have to try it out on a upcoming devil figure that I need to print off. Scaling always gives me fits when it comes to printing correctly. 

I'm quite enjoying my 3D printer so far...even though so much I print will likely not see paint. So far I've been lucky with scaling but I haven't done anything too drastic. From what I read most that state 32-35mm sculpts need to be printed at 87.5%-90% to be closer to the 28-30mm scale which I prefer. I printed a fairy from a different sculptor at 50% which still printed fine, but I wasn't careful with removing the supports and took a piece of her wing with it. That's my biggest problem so far not taking my time removing supports and breaking fine parts of the mini.

10 hours ago, Zloyduh said:

Great job!

What resin did you use?

I use Elegoo Standard Photopolymer Resin in gray. So far it has done a nice job for most things.

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's a fantastic paint job!!

Welcome back to the hobby, by the way.

And thank you for noting what size you used to print her; that'll be useful.

Thanks Chaoswolf....to be fair I took a bigger break from social platforms, but still a good year break from painting. Happy to be back and finally have my hobby space set up in my new place...so no excuse. Still need to tweak the camera setup and lightbox but I'll get there (some of that is I'm out of practice at photographing minis too).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zloyduh said:

ABS-Like or regular?

So I’m going to say regular…. I’m still new to the world of resin. Pic below of the box. I think the clear blue I picked up is ABS like. Is there much difference in how they print? 
42757D78-F20C-46A8-ACF2-A805FFF0CA47.thumb.jpeg.e3942573ac58b72983770088b1a3f655.jpeg

Edited by Marsya
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Marsya said:

So I’m going to say regular…. I’m still new to the world of resin. Pic below of the box. I think the clear blue I picked up is ABS like. Is there much difference in how they print? 

Yes, this looks like some kind of regular to me.  I've had my printer for a little over a year now, but I've only tried 2 different resins.  I don't print all the time.  The first one came with the printer, Monochrome-something - total crap.  The second one I bought from Amazon since it had good reviews:  Anycubic - 3D Printing UV sensitive resin Basic in grey.  This one overall is better than the Monochrome.  But the biggest problem is that the prints are super brittle.  I figured out so far that I shouldn't cure the print.  Just let it sit in the alcohol for some time and then prime ASAP so that no sunshine gets on it at all.  This way they're kind of soft and bendy and thin pieces don't just snap off that easily. 

I have a bottle of Eelegoo ABS-Like sitting in my drawer.  I'm going to try that out probably with my next print.  But interestingly enough, you're the second person who tells me about the Eeelegoo "regular" in the past couple of days.  I guess after I try the ABS-Like (since I already have it), I'll give the "regular" a try, too. 

There isn't much reference I could find on resin printing.  Seems like most of the 3D printing hobbyists are into the fillament printers.  Even the tabletop miniature gamers.  Which I guess is fine as long as you don't care for fine details on your prints.  Anyhow!  I'm very glad to have a conversation about this topic 🙂 There should be more knowledge sharing in my opinion.

~Z