This is the second miniature I've ever painted, and the first with Reaper paints. I figured that a brush holder would come in handy for the all the Bones V painting in my future! The only Reaper paints I own are the Bones V paints (Learn to Paint kit and the two collections), plus two bottles of Reaper MSP 9038 Rainy Gray.

Overall I'm really pleased with the way this first attempt worked out! I primed everything with 9038 Rainy Gray, then put on the base coats. The wings and ears gave me the most trouble as I had generously overpainted with 9410 Dragon Green, and was attempting a wet blend with 09468 Brilliant Red and 09218 Lava Orange. They required seven or eight coats before I got solid coverage over the green. Once everything was painted and cleaned up, I did a dry brush highlight pass, and then sealed it with two coats of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and one coat of Testors Dullcote. I waited 24 hours between each coat to give it plenty of time to dry. I also masked off the gold pile prior to the Dullcote to make sure it would stay shiny.

Some things that could have been better:

1. The eyes should have been a different color to make them pop, instead of disappearing in the face. Additionally the right eye is quite muddy and the pupil gets lost amidst all the black veins. I was getting tired of working on Rocky at this point and wanted to get it finished. Ideally the eye would have been repainted. The left eye is better, but still gets lost in all the green.
  2. I forgot that my wash darkens the mini, and didn't paint in brighter colors to compensate, which means overall it's quite muted and dark.

IMG_6391 - Web.JPG

IMG_6393 - web.JPG

IMG_6394 - web.JPG

Edited by veoviscool12
  • Like 19
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work especially on your 2nd mini. The red wings contrast the green nicely. You can always wait sometime and revisit his eye if you like later especially since I imagine he'll be central on your desk for holding your brushes.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By monoRAIL
      Painted with acrylics and oil paints.
      Work-in-progress photos and videos on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cokane/

• By Zloyduh
      Just in time for the season!
      I happened to be going through some sort of a creativity crisis.  I would start on a figure and almost right away stop feeling it.
      This guy seemed to shake me up quiet nicely.  Although, I did get tired at the end and rushed a few things.  But, as I remember, the profys recommend "paint more minis" as oppose to sitting over one for eternity trying to get it to perfection.

• By Samedi
      I love doing WIPs. And I've got a lot projects I should finish 😊. And since there is still no progress with Barros and Tempest (this time because I'm still waiting for a new base to be shipped), why not start something new?

I've yet to paint my first dragon, so I'll use this opportunity to do it. I confess, I'm cheating a bit here, since I'm going to paint the white dragon by Dark Sword Minis - that's a very small dragon. But still, he's got wings and teeth and claws and scales, so definitely a dragon, yessir!

I absolutely love this mini. I bought it many years ago, but the horns went missing. Fortunately, when I ordered some more minis from Dark Sword a while ago, I was able to order some spare horns, so now I'm good to go.

Here he is, assembled and prepped:

Now I have to decide on a paint scheme, which I can't bring myself to do. There are three ideas I have at the moment:

paint him up as an ice dragon. I'm thinking white with pinkish/greenish undertones and a base made with transparent crackle paint. There was a very cool version of an Ice Dragon a while ago on this forum, but I can't seem to find it any more.  paint him up as a star dragon using the technique I learned at RVE in Kevin Holderny's class. I used it on a coat so far, maybe it looks very cool on the dragon's wings. paint him up as a real world snake. Now there are so many possibilities...  
      Decisions, decisions...

Some more work on the base.
    • By Iridil
      So I needed an NPC - and this Bones V townsfolk called to me as a low level mage. He is supposed to be a ship's mage, helping dvinine weather and sea creatures, so I choose blue and then tried freehand silver symbols. My lack of freehand skill and patience quickly showed up! But he's good for the table and was done in time to use. He looks a bit worried - which fits the character

• By Iridil
      Here is the Zombie Giant from Bones V - he's a little bit less washed out in person. Pretty satisfied, but I see that I should have done more lining/contrast with the bandages and lining for the armor - again, more contrast! I never seem to quite get it! At first I thought the face was a bit goofy, but then I was sparked by the idea that this guy was animated by three junior necromancers and the vultures are their familiars trying to get the zombie to follow the three necromancers' conflicting orders....

• Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)