Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
By Chris Palmer
One the past few weeks I have been working on the Zombie Dwarf Thanes from the Bones 5 "The Dwarf King's Crypt" Encounter set. I ordered two of these Encounter sets, as I wanted doubles of some of the scenario pieces, as well as double the 3 zombie figures that came with the Encounter.
To help make their appearance seem more varied, I swapped a hand between Thane #1 and Thane #2. I also trimmed the circlets off some of their heads to try and make them look more like average Dwarves.
(Edit: For some reason he photos uploaded out of order, so the backs of Thane #2 are shown after Thane #3 fronts, and the backs of Thane #3 are shown after Thane 2's fronts.)
The whole shambling gang
I was focused on speed, not detail. This was trying to work them with as few colors as possible. The more I look at them, the more they look lik ea value sketch more than a painted model, but I'm looking for where to go with them.
Another thing I need to know, is what do you all do with eye sockets? How do you paint them or what do you do with them?
For the woman zombie, I used an ink pen and am kind of miffed that it turned out than other eyes I put way more time into. I know I can use this in conjunction with painting, but just dotting it came out pretty believable. I think some of that is the fact it's a dead stare, so of course, just a wash and a dot does fine. I would be curious to know how any one else uses the pens and paint in combo.
It's the weekend and that means it's time to paint!
Got two zombies up for some WIP.
I'll just start by saying - leave me any feedback you've got. I'm open to hearing and improving from it.
#1 - Buster Jaws
* Really taking to this whole wet blending thing. I used two colors further apart from each other in value and tried to test myself to push them together. There's two different sets of this in both the pants and the shirt.
* I am trying to keep the 'mother color' as I've heard it called in mind. Since it's Halloween month, I figured orange would be a good one. It was hard to add it in to nearly all the colors, but it did come out well.
* Trying to push the bloody look on his shirt with some Magenta ink looks nice and fun (and gross). My daughter was not fond of these two, which tells me I'm on the right path.
* Setting a goal of about 30 minutes for this was a tough one, but I think given the time I tried to do it in, limiting my palette, and pushing the colors worked great.
* Skin color. It's just not dead enough. Need suggestions on your favorite zombie and ghoul skin recipe.
* Hair. What the hell does dead hair look like? How can I make it look more "fresh out of the grave" and less "fresh out of the salon"?
* I attempted value sketching with ink and then overlaying a really lite wash of paint. Not sure I dig it, but it worked. Barely. No pun intended. You can see the value sketch below.
Mr. I Suck At Dabbing
* This was actually the first of the wet blends so it didnt' get pushed as far, but the blending still worked great. Speed, speed, speed!
* Knowing I have to give up a little of my detail to get a faster result is a good balance.
* I learned that this was where I could watch where the folds in the clothing were and step up the highlights in those area, which I applied to my following model.
* Eyes, hair, and skin again. Not sure what I should have done different, but I know I should have done something.
Here's the progress pictures (numbered)