For those of y'all who have Badger 105 Patriot airbrushes, maybe you could give me some advice?

The trigger is only spraying air and the tiny bit (it's always the tiny bits, now isn't it?) directly behind it is all of a sudden loose and moving freely, and I can't spray paint at all with it. How to fix this, please? I tried loosening and re-seating the needle and it made no difference. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary isn't it?  I had the same thing.  What you'll need to do is remove the front assembly (where the needle tip is).  There's 3 pieces up there - soak them in alcohol to get any paint out.  The one piece you'll really need to check is that one that is shaped like a bullet. That one is usually the culprit and had gunk in it.  Start by using a toothpick once the alcohol has had a little time.  Then try get a fine needle and use it to dig CAREFULLY in the bullet shaped piece to get the excess out.  

If the needle was stuck, which has also happened to me, you may have some paint that blew back in the housing and it's in the trigger assembly.  Pull the needle out, pull the needle guard off, then the trigger and trigger guide will come free.  They're going to be confusing putting back in the same way, so TAKE NOTE OF HOW THEY LOOK BEFORE removing.  Now, with the trigger out, look in the opening of the trigger base (where the needle goes through it) and look for gunky paint.  I usually soak those pieces with the other three parts from the tip.  Just don't let them mash together in there, as you do not want a bent bullet piece.   

Reassemble and you should be good with paint and air going through.  

Note that if you use primer, make damn sure to clean the hell out of it after using each time.  I also refrain from doing that holding the tip to back flow the mix in the cup.   Mix in the cup, but i recommend not holding the tip and reversing air back in method. 

Good luck! 

Screenshot_20210923-210901_Gallery.jpg

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 1

I haven't used any simple green in the airbrush or on it's parts.  I'd stick to alcohol, but not to say SG wouldn't work. 

Airbrush cleaner works well and you can easily try the same as mentioned with the alcohol.  I stock the parts in a small shot glass to help as little wasted as possible.  

Let me know if it fixes the issue. 

Soaking in Simple Green can etch into the surface of the airbrush's nickel plating — at least, it has on mine. However, that hasn't seemed to affect the operation of the brush at all.

Vallejo airbrush cleaner does a decent job, but if you need larger quantities of cleaner relatively cheaply, you could try a mix of one part isopropyl, one part ammonia-based windscreen wash detergent (I use Armorall blue), and two parts water. 

You can safely soak everything EXCEPT the valve assembly. There are components in there that risk being compromised by being soaked in solvents.

Edited by MojoBob

Thanks for the input, fellows, but what percentage of isopropyl is ideal, here? I've used my sonic jewelry cleaner to deep clean my old airbrush in the past, filled with SG, and it seemed to do the job nicely within a couple cleaning cycles, it appeared. 

Oh, and R2ED, I soaked the bits you mentioned in the airbrush cleaner for a good hour or two and it still didn't appear to make a difference--still only air spraying, even at 30 PSI. I may need to do a deep clean, you think? Or at least try cleaning the needle more thoroughly?

@MaskedRiderChrisMaskedRiderChrisi used 70% and 91%. Honestly, either is good.  I like my solvents like my whisky, though - strong.

As for the cleaning and only air? 

* are you getting any friction when putting the needle in place? 

*  is the needle moving back and forth freely when pulling the trigger back and forth? 

*  if you pull the needle out, tip the airbrush point down, and put a little water in the paint cup, does the water drip out the tip?  

*  on the bullet shaped piece, did you scrape anything out of there when you cleaned?

I'm not sure, if all things were done, why you wouldn't be getting paint, unless there's a blockage preventing gravity to feed the paint down from the cup or there's a bit of paint left over preventing the air to push paint through. 

Without being able to see it, I'd say try holding parts up to a light and see if you can view all the way through to identify the cause.  I'm betting it's in that little bullet piece if you're sure the needle isn't hung up and freely moving. 

Keep me posted.  Just know you can soak those pieces for an hour to make sure. 

Edited by R2ED

alcohol is a good cleaner for pretty much anything on an airbrush.  that knurled bit on the back part of the airbrush that the needle goes through and you can see through the side cutouts needs to be snug - that grips down on the needle so when the trigger is moved back, it takes the needle with it.  If that bit isn't moving when you move the trigger back, there could be a problem with the trigger setup.  the trigger moves a flat curved sort of "H" shaped piece (except two crossbars with the needle passing through) that pushes on a cylinder that is threaded that the knurled bit attaches to.  make sure when you move the trigger that all of that moves.

in addition to all of the above checking the needle bits up front.

it's really difficult to diagnose airbrush stuff over text.  video or in person would be so much easier 🙂

if you do block the head of the airbrush to clear a clog or to mix paint in the cup, accept that you're going to need to clean and take apart everything.  it does work for clearing and mixing, but makes a mess of the inside of the brush.