Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Just in time for the season!
I happened to be going through some sort of a creativity crisis. I would start on a figure and almost right away stop feeling it.
This guy seemed to shake me up quiet nicely. Although, I did get tired at the end and rushed a few things. But, as I remember, the profys recommend "paint more minis" as oppose to sitting over one for eternity trying to get it to perfection.
So I needed an NPC - and this Bones V townsfolk called to me as a low level mage. He is supposed to be a ship's mage, helping dvinine weather and sea creatures, so I choose blue and then tried freehand silver symbols. My lack of freehand skill and patience quickly showed up! But he's good for the table and was done in time to use. He looks a bit worried - which fits the character
Here is the Zombie Giant from Bones V - he's a little bit less washed out in person. Pretty satisfied, but I see that I should have done more lining/contrast with the bandages and lining for the armor - again, more contrast! I never seem to quite get it! At first I thought the face was a bit goofy, but then I was sparked by the idea that this guy was animated by three junior necromancers and the vultures are their familiars trying to get the zombie to follow the three necromancers' conflicting orders....
So Finally my little Reaperhovians, my first two Bones V figures painted, the Satyr and Faun from the Greek Odyssey Expansion, sculpted by Rainbow Sculptor (sorry I don't know her real name to credit her here, somebody surely will). I think for my first two figures, I picked my favorite one of all the Kickstarter, the faun, and painted the Satyr to make a nice pair of figures.
In case interested here is part of the sculpting process for the figures:
Satyr and Faun sculpting WIP
and then here are my renditions. Sorry so many pictures but these are figures with some different angles that seemly want to be photographed:
I think my biggest lesson learned from painting these figures was mold lines, I really need to be more cognizant of my mold lines with Reaper Bones. I can notice them in quite a many places.
Otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with how they came out. I wanted earthy tones mostly with a few pops of colors. The hardest choice was the fabric around the narwhal horn spear. I had to actually see the WIP for these minis to figure out that the spear was supposed to be made out of narwhal horn, but once I knew that at least it was a bit easier to paint it as bone. And of course I can see all kinds of little errors I've made but what's painted is painted. I'd love to see these two come out in metal. I'd buy them up right away and paint them again with a bit more crisp detail, but in all actually I think the detail on these were pretty good and altogether paintable.
I like to usually do some makeup or eye shadow on my ladies, but with this one, just did lips as I figured she's out and about prancing around in the forest, not too worried about fashion. One thing I also did was for her fingernails, basically painted them the same color as her hooves, without doing any fancy nail colors.
Anyhoos, hope you enjoy!
This is the second miniature I've ever painted, and the first with Reaper paints. I figured that a brush holder would come in handy for the all the Bones V painting in my future! The only Reaper paints I own are the Bones V paints (Learn to Paint kit and the two collections), plus two bottles of Reaper MSP 9038 Rainy Gray.
Overall I'm really pleased with the way this first attempt worked out! I primed everything with 9038 Rainy Gray, then put on the base coats. The wings and ears gave me the most trouble as I had generously overpainted with 9410 Dragon Green, and was attempting a wet blend with 09468 Brilliant Red and 09218 Lava Orange. They required seven or eight coats before I got solid coverage over the green. Once everything was painted and cleaned up, I did a dry brush highlight pass, and then sealed it with two coats of Rust-oleum Crystal Clear Enamel and one coat of Testors Dullcote. I waited 24 hours between each coat to give it plenty of time to dry. I also masked off the gold pile prior to the Dullcote to make sure it would stay shiny.
Some things that could have been better:
The eyes should have been a different color to make them pop, instead of disappearing in the face. Additionally the right eye is quite muddy and the pupil gets lost amidst all the black veins. I was getting tired of working on Rocky at this point and wanted to get it finished. Ideally the eye would have been repainted. The left eye is better, but still gets lost in all the green. I forgot that my wash darkens the mini, and didn't paint in brighter colors to compensate, which means overall it's quite muted and dark.
Who's Online 14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)