Inktober 2021, prompts, pictures and the usual shenanigans.

Sylverthorne

Once again, the pen ink calls, inviting one and all to participate.

That's right, it's Inktober time, and the prompts are flying thick and furious.

Lessee; I've got seven prompt lists handy, and if anyone's got more, feel free to post 'em.

2021promptlist.thumb.jpg.7d84efc5f69e225940f2658a1c68f86b.jpgDrawlloween2021-Calendar.thumb.png.5e1127953df58d1f8aa5f106f621eb20.png

Drawtober2021.thumb.jpg.7dfe63f0ef665fe0c34b87055a780ed2.jpgDNDPrompts.thumb.jpg.4e3eb8d6443f969d1ce254fcb47425d5.jpg

Birdtober.jpg.b092866a5abd15e15cd5076dd6fe5f93.jpgOctoberEmbersPrompts.thumb.jpg.b62692d887041984a31c7358d9f3bb1e.jpg

CottageCharmsPrompt2021.thumb.png.57ae227d215d7d5d0386f3d23737ac47.png SCBWIArtober.thumb.jpg.b4ba05c8945ccd619d0b93d15541ed3a.jpg

... I got two of these from Twitter, the rest from either googling or following links. 

The general rule from the Official Prompt List is 'pen and ink, one drawing a day', but I am certainly not holding anybody to that if they don't feel like they can do it.

I also bravely ignore the 'pen and ink' rule, but I don't necessarily suggest my slapdash 'pick something from a list and go after it with whatever media amuses me' method, either... ^_^

Edited by Sylverthorne
Found another one!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just coming to see if this was posted. 💜 Thank you @Sylverthorne for collating all the goodness into one place! I wasn't even aware of such a thing before last year; the spawn and I had a great time with the daily inspiration to draw. (Although, since school's back to in-person, she may prefer the less-than-daily option.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Watch this space for an

InkReaperTober

list. (Not to be confused with #Reaptober, which is officially being used by Reaper, and which has to do with painting figures.)

I’ve been working on it, I have worked out a way to roll 4d10 to randomly choose a model from the online store. 

9B71D1E3-54EF-490B-8A50-D5B295F1992A.thumb.jpeg.a93bbbce9f356b76d4cefdfe9f707470.jpeg

That raw roll translates to SKU 14714, which hopefully exists. Stay tuned. 

Edit: but it doesn’t. Looks like the numerically closest number is 14614.

Edit 2: Renamed it INK RANDOMLY; INK OFTEN. Between my random diceroll producing lots of invalid results and the kludge factor of trying to create it, and capture the graphic on my phone,  I only have about a week’s worth. But it is enough to start with. 

See next post for the image. 

There are three ways to use the IRIO Reaper Figures list. [1] Draw something inspired by the description without looking up the number, [2] lookup the number then  try to draw that figure as if it is sitting for a portrait, or [3] third use any of the other tags on the figure as prompt words. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cool! Incidentally, for anyone else who can't get the search function to recognise an SKU, that first one is Erebus Nalas. Kind of a dead ringer for the Sorcerer in the Sorcerer's Apprentice, if you don't look too closely. >.>

ERhem.

After an argument with Corel, MS paint and.. all of that stuff, I finally got this uploaded:

Inktober01Familiar.thumb.jpg.8028b1116b45608740c42a2d018880d8.jpg

Prompts: Familiar, Swift

Media: Ink! Markers, specifically, on .. paper. No, I don't know what kind. 

• Like 12

Today's Rock Troll is the Bones Black promo troll, in all his irregularly faceted glory.

(Yes, damnit, I am going to look all of them up. I'm curious).

Anyway, today I actually went for the official prompt list. 

20211003_111326.thumb.jpg.ed5074c718ea676e6b5060b96d7401a2.jpg

Day 3, Quality Assurance

Prompts: Vessel, Honey

Ink on paper (Copics, some abuse of microns). 

Have I mentioned recently that you can BLEND copics? You can blend copics. 

Does anyone still cover the tops of their honey jars with fabric? @Pegazus? Anybody?

• Like 11

Today's Mini is Ariel the dryad. I'm late...

Inktober, day 4. Gaze Upon My Masterpiece!

Inktober04Bread.thumb.jpg.31f9dfa8d52af51f438df0e0718b0809.jpg

Prompts: Knot, Bread, Critter

Watercolour! on 140lb Hot Press.

Don't look at me like that, I'm sure you've all had the urge to run around the house with a freshly baked loaf yelling at people to admire it. 

Ideally, before the starving horde decends and devours said loaf, dripping with butter and honey or jam.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

579082156_ScreenShot2021-10-04at3_23_42PM.thumb.png.0ade296d32ddefb227ab50870f26c9d3.png

Day One :: Crystals #Inktober 

Day Two :: Elusive Creature #10Embers

A Longclawed Pillurtle, inked up as part of #DrawtheExtinct, 1st Friday of each month, during David Petersen's art stream. A Longclawed Pillurtle is a combination of Box Turtle, Crab, and Pill Bug. Colored with Sketchbook after being inked with Micron and Sharpie pens.

Edited by TGP
made the font even smaller
  • Like 14

Oh, hey! It's the crazy-eyed Owlbear today. 

I had a Judgy Kitty overseeing my art today; Enigma elected to be parked in the cavenest while I worked.

Inktober, Day 5. Are You Sure About This?

Inktober05RAven.thumb.jpg.6b03dc1e89d0abbe51e93c52180c5012.jpg

Prompts: Raven, Mouse, Arcana, Lavender

Media: Pens (Sakuras, sharpies, copics, whatever was in the bin..), on 100lb Bristol.

I... don't know what's going on here, and, honestly, I don't think I want to. If a bunch of squirrels blow up like furry little balloons, I had nothing to do with it....

• Like 11

Yesterday's Ink Often mini was Lathula, Female Barbarian; who promptly went into my wishlist.

Today's is the Bones Clay Golem.

Um. If you're arachnophobic, maybe don't actually click the spoiler to look at the picture. >.>

Inktober, day 7. This Is As Prone As I Get.

Spoiler

Inktober07Prone.thumb.jpg.ec6d8cc8b596e25f042d94768f7cd2c6.jpg

Prompts: Living Curiousities, Prone

Media: Watercolour and ink on 140lb hot press

In the long-ago before times, when I was a lot younger and a lot more prone to saying things like,  'well, if they're capable of thinking for ten cents, they're not automatically going to be EVIL just because this book says so!' I created a lot of characters that GMs flat out refused to touch. Xanannae here is one of those characters. 

• Like 7

Surprising no one, there are about a million Hooded Rogues in Reaper's catalogue. It's like none of them want to be recognised or something!

The one on the list though, is Tierce, Male Rogue.   

Inktober: Day 8. No, It's MY Bag.

Inktober08Watch.thumb.jpg.828a8e5230a3403dd9ceff70d3dc077f.jpg

Prompts: Watch, Bag of Holding, Cozy.

The concept of the Familiar Pocket is one I really like for small familiars. But I can see a larger one forgetting they're not that small anymore, too .... >.>

• Like 9

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By TripleH
      New books be Dave Taylor, one of which features Aaron Lovejoy, Matt Dipietro, and Elizabeth Beckley of Miniature Monthly and others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1560579763/the-art-of-volumes-1-3?ref=user_menu

If you would like to just get two of the three books, the best way to do so is to pledge for one of the books, then increase your pledge total to include the Add-on price for the second book below. 

We will be using BackerKit as our pledge manager and that's where you'll have the opportunity to make those specific choices. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments or by messaging me here on Kickstarter.

THE ART OF…
      For more than 30 years I have spent a great deal of time talking with hundreds of artists who paint miniatures – for fun, for a living, for relaxation – and I am always intrigued to learn more about their philosophies, approaches, and processes. Some of these artists have spent decades refining their technical skills, while others bring their “traditional” art training to the miniatures world. Some draw inspiration from the most unusual of places, while others find it in popular culture turned on its head.

THE ART OF… series of books will highlight fantastic miniatures artists from around the world, bringing their thoughts and passions to stand alongside their magnificent and inspirational work. We’ll be featuring both individuals and groups in this series, as we explore innovative approaches, studied refinements, and even tangential influences.
      These books will be both a celebration of the artist and their art, as well as an opportunity for them to present their thoughts on particular topics and let the world know why they approach their art the way they do. These will not be “How To” books, but rather complements to their existing outlets work that the artists are already doing.
      This is just the beginning of THE ART OF… series. With so many wonderful miniatures artists, there is so much potential to explore.

Volume 1 – THE ART OF... Miniature Monthly
      Miniature Monthly is a collective of three professional painters from the US – Aaron Lovejoy, Elizabeth Beckley, and Matt DiPietro – who have a Patreon (Miniature Monthly) producing painting tutorial videos. All three are (or have been) studio painters for a number of different companies and they each bring something different to the table. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 128 pages.
      Aaron will cover:
      • Creating a team/collective – looking at The Painters’ Guild and Miniature Monthly
      • Striking a balance between Speed and High-end painting
      • Freehand – Adding depth and texture
      Elizabeth will cover:
      • Smooth Skin – featuring work on the Kingdom Death minis
      • Chibi Art – how painting chibis differs from “standard” miniatures
      Matt will cover:
           • Ancient methods with infinite possibilities.
      • The Art of miniatures, – Finding your voice and engaging with the audience.
      https://www.patreon.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.facebook.com/miniaturemonthly
      https://www.instagram.com/artoflovejoy/
      https://www.instagram.com/miniature_mistress/
      https://www.instagram.com/mattdipietroart/

Volume 2 – THE ART OF... Christof Keil
      Christof Keil (aka k03rnl) is an artist from Germany who has made a name for himself with his incredible kitbashes and conversions and his work to turn 2D artwork into 3D pieces. Christof’s day job as a blacksmith working on enormous metal sculptures has given him a precise eye for balance and motion. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • Kitbashing – a focus on anatomy, balance, silhouette
      • The Black Phalanx – a kitbashed project
      • Sculpting – creating reliefs and busts
      • Painting Black – an exercise in mimicking the masters
      • Black Templars – recreating the John Blanche art of 3rd Edition
      https://www.instagram.com/k03rnl/
      https://www.instagram.com/black.phallanx.sculpts/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsw4HOpTJ2MWvSbiBCT7-g

Volume 3 – THE ART OF... Ana Polanšćak
      Ana is a professional miniatures painter from Croatia who is widely regarded for her world-building miniatures art. Her converted and sculpted miniatures blend seamlessly with her terrain work to create dark corners of worlds that beg to be explored – at your peril. This book will be a high-quality, softback artbook of 96 pages.
      • World Building – a focus on selecting a starting point and key developments. Working on your own worlds and collaborating with others
      • Gardens of Hecate – a world created by Ana
      • AoS28 – Hosting the LEGEN and the Sunhold campaigns
      • Sculpting – What it’s like to turn concepts into physical sculpts for the miniatures market, and the reliquary/artifact creations
      https://www.instagram.com/gardensofhecate/
      http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com
      https://gardensofhecate.com
    • By Iron
      Hello friends
      We want to show you our next Kickstarter Exclusive campaign on October 13, with 5 models of hygienic and reusable masks with up to 85 washes, with exclusive illustrations by David Daza
      Rising Creature model:

This is the link to the Kickstarter campaign
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/juegorama/juegorama-board-game-masks

Soon more news
    • By TGP
      INKTOBER

Last year quite a few of us had a some fun doing this Inktober event. The idea is to draw something each day, inspired by a list of words; there is a word for each day.

— @Pingo

This was The thread from Last Year:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88233-inktoberdrawlloween/

There are official rules. We broke most of them. There is more than one person making lists (apart from the guy that started it 11 years back), the lists have different themes…. Last year anything that could leave a mark on paper counted as Ink, some people found ways to combine words from multiple lists, it was fair game to jump from one list to another and back, some only ever posted their pieces here but not on fb, twitler, instychat, (or any of the popular social media pages), skipping days was a thing, gradually catching up was a thing, using two prompt words in one drawing to count-as-2-days was a thing…

THE ONLY REAL RULE WAS TO HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT

I have stumbled on three other lists in addition to the original Inktober2020 list. Images of them all follow. I will cheerfully add some others if someone suggests any.

InktoberLite2020: One possibility if One-A-Day just seems too much, too fast, is to do one every 48 hours. We have here four lists, that yields 2 words per list for a total of 8 word choices, from 2 days. Pick one word (out of 8) for a drawing to be completed sometime on Oct 1st or 2nd. Rinse repeat for 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, and so on.

NB: Rolling 5D6 will mostly result in a lot of Owlbears and Beholders and Bulettes...no idea how you’d roll choices 1-5 (blame whoever did the graphic #totalartmajor #notagamer).

The Official ^ Original Rules and Prompt Words

Added per Guindy’s suggestion. 

MOAR LISTS

@Sylverthorne found ^ this.

@Reaper_Jon suggested ^ this one.

@Crowley found this one ^ on tumblr

Suggested by @Sylverthorne; graphic ^ by @TGP; list by "eloveart" found on Reaper's Discord.

Ultimately found by @Sylverthorne the Adventurneer list from smalltownspells. [ @pcktlnt's usual list.]

Collected Hashtag List
      #INKtober #DRAWlloween #Drawtober #DrawnToFantober #eletober #INKTOBER2020
      #adventurneer #hauntober #follygon #sculptober #sculptober2020 #eloveartinktober

TGPTGP
    • By TGP
      Some of us on the Forums participated in an event called Inktober. One of the Prompt Words was Dragon. So for the 12th  of October I did a Dragon. I took Work in Progress pictures, so I thought it might be fun to post them in the WIP section. (Finally getting around to posting them three months on.)

I posted some free advice about using ink markers in the Inktober thread and I followed some of my own advice to draw this. Trying to figure out how to quote that post...but it is not allowing it for unknown reasons. (First save)

Edit:
      There it is ^ I had to save; do a second post; which merged with the first post; and then edit. 

Right then, on with it, following my own advice... 

Step 1
      Grab a mechanical pencil and outline the basic area where the Dragon is going to be. Mostly, this step is to make sure that the drawing doesn't run off the edge of the paper. But, there are a few key details like the eye location... the jaw...

There is no pic for this step. Sorry. It didn’t occur to me to do a step-by-step and the pencil lines were so faint because I used such a hard grade of lead it probably wouldn’t have shown up in the photo. 

# TGPTGP
    • By SamuraiJack
      they had this under 'Illustrations' and not gaming so I dont think a many people saw it..  get your Latorre busts while you can..  3 days left

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heramodels/the-sketchbook-of-blocsanchez-wasteland/description

About
      Hello everybody,
      We want to introduce you to Iván Sánchez, aka “Blocsanchez”, one of the members of HeraModels. We are thrilled to share with you his first sketchbook “Wasteland”. Within the last year, Iván has been working in the content of this book what wasn't easy to combine with his daily work of miniature concept artist in our small study. Iván is very passionate about traditional drawing, that is the reason why every design in this book is a pencil sketch except for the cover that is digital.
      With this and our future projects, our objective is to create an editorial line of fantastic art. We decided we didn't want a typical sketchbook, collecting drawings from forgotten notebooks where you can find all types of characters; we wanted to make something personal and with an argumental line.
      Then, after a lot of thinking, we decided to make a book collection of different races. “Wastelands” is the first chapter of the collection and embodies illustrations and sketches of barbaric warriors of the barren lands.
      Original Art of "Wastelands" example for pledges #5 & #6  The original book contains 48 pages but with your help we hope this number keeps increasing. We have selected the best designs with more than 50 characters and we hope all of them can be published in the book. We want the book to be handy and user friendly that is why its size is 17x24cm (6,7”x9,5”). Through the campaign, we will unlock different rewards that will make possible to increase the number of pages of this book and will vive you the possibility to get exclusive products only in Kickstarters. In this campaign, you´ll not only get our sketchbook “Wastelands”, it will be possible to choose the option to get an original sketch made by Ivan inside your book or to get one of the original illustrations printed on it. Later we will explain the campaign more widely.
      Original Sketch example for pledges #3 & #4  Later on we will explain every detail of the content in each pledge to make sure that you get what you really want. Besides, while the campaign goes on and we unlock other products we will update the content of each pledge.
        For those who have chosen pledge #5 or #6 you could choose between one of the following original illustrations, you just need to send us an email echen you make the reservation with the number of the illustration that you prefer. You can see the images in a bigger size in our website .
      Original Art of "Wastelands" for pledges #5 & #6