Dwarf Queen's Tomb Conversion for the Bones 5 "Dwarf King's Crypt" Encounter

I purchased a pair of the Bones 5 The Dwarf King's Crypt Encounter set as I wanted pairs of a number of the set's scenery items, as well as double the number of the Dwarf Zombies and Dwarf Fighters.

One of the scenery items from the set that I was most looking forward to having a pair of, was the tomb; as I wanted to convert one to be the tombs to be for a Dwarf Queen, to go along with the Dwarf King's tomb.

First thing I would need was a suitable Bones Female Dwarf figure to use as the tomb cover's carving; as I did not trust my ability to sculpt one from scratch.   I was not sure what figure to use, as so many of the ones I had, or looked at in the online store, were posed somewhat dynamically.  Then, as fate would have it, I came across one of the Gwyddis, Dwarf Valkyrie figures, and realized it was perfect.

While I was doing the conversion, I also took the time to drill and magnetize the lid of the tomb, so it will stay in place during storage and transport.

For step by step post on how I did the convserion, please see my blog: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2021/10/dwarf-queen-and-king-crypts-bones-5.html

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and looking forward to painting it up.

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2477.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 21

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing that I would suggest is to take some plasticard and cut it to the shape of the kings boots soles and put them on the underside of the skirt. At the moment, that part looks a bit flat and missing detail compared to the rest. Just the slight work would add a lot there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone!

10 hours ago, SotF said:

Only thing that I would suggest is to take some plasticard and cut it to the shape of the kings boots soles and put them on the underside of the skirt. At the moment, that part looks a bit flat and missing detail compared to the rest. Just the slight work would add a lot there.

This a good idea!  I might be able to salvage the boot soles off of the King that I removed from the conversion tomb. 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 3

I finally got to paint my King's and Queen's tomb this past week.  I used @SotF's suggestion before I did, and cut some shoe soles from a bit of Bones sprue to glue to the bottom of the Queen.  I agree that it helped the appearance.  

I decided to go with blue marble for the tombs.  I also decided not to get involved with converting the interior corpse figure to match the queen, as the play value vs time investment  did not make it seem worth it. 

Full painting blog post: http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2021/11/durmans-tomb-and-queens-tomb-bones-5.html

IMG_2823.jpeg

IMG_2829.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 19

7 hours ago, Pochi said:

Gorgeous! They look so good!

I didn't pick up two but I do have a couple other sarcophagi. I wonder if I can convert one of them. I hope you don't mind if I blatantly steal your idea!

Thank you!

And no worries about idea theft. I do it all the time myself! ::):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1