I was draggin' on this dragon

R2ED

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I see this model painted I wish we had gotten it. Yours looks great. 

I think the plastic base could be set on a round or oval, then some forest floor (or watery pond) added to it.  Don't make it too large, you don't want to overwhelm the dragon.  Some greens on the base would tie in nicely with the color on the dragon's head and tail.  The stone seems a little one dimensional.  Look at the lichen and moss on this stone head: https://www.alamy.com/south-american-ancient-or-historic-statue-of-god-image153528355.html   or this ancient wall: https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-tropical-figure-in-forrest-168868710.html?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful. The green/yellow beard, gray head, purple tongue, orange body, and those beautiful antlers. very nice. For the base, I would avoid too much color as it could distract from the dragon. I could see amping up the bases contrast though. Darker shadows and a very light gray highlight to add some umph without overwhelming the piece. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@KruleBear I did end up adding a little bit of highlight to it before submitting for that competition, but I still think it needs to be more punchy, as you said.  I'll try a little of what Inarah mentioned, but also rather than toning up the statue head too much, I'll rely on the terrain to help and MAKE SURE not to take away from the dragon.  

Thanks for noting the color selection.  I was having fun picking them.  I laid them out all before starting and it was a darn good thing I did.  It made it way more of a fun process than a struggle.

• Like 2

Absolutely beautiful!

To your questions:

Right now, the dragon draws all the attention. The base is kind of boring, just there to complement. If you want the base to draw some attention too, then add to it. But that could result in attention taken away from the dragon as oppose to adding more to the whole piece. So kind of depends on what you want to accomplish.

Hope this helps 🙂

~Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a striking colour scheme and I really enjoy that lovely contrast you have going on this piece. Really satisifying to look at. Also a very autumnal colour scheme, with works well for such a nature spirit /dragon. All in all it makes me really happy to look at, just so much to enjoy. 

I would add soem green enamel wash to the base to simulate light moss growth. AK Interactive has a great range. Otherwise leave it as is. maybe add a circular base and add soemwater effect around the stone. Mayhaps a few fallen leaves on the water surface. Don't overdo it. The dragon is quite busy and the face right now the focal point. I don't think it would help if the base distracts the beholder from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Got another one in this week.  I'm on a roll!

Still doing my work on these marines looking for a color combo I really like.  I completed Red, Blue, Green, and Black.  I've got 2 more color schemes to test, which are Grey and White.  We'll see in the coming days how much energy I've got for them.

This one came out pretty good. 

I still need to base and touch up his sword with more color, but he's pretty much done outside of that.  Enough for me to post in WIP.

The process was pretty good and I'm learning that these sub-assemblies help a TON in getting to those insanely hard to reach spots.  I took pictures of what the sub assembly looks like just to what my method was and hopefully helps others struggling.  

• By R2ED
      Finished the Paint job on another marine.  I'll need to come up with a cool base.  I planned out this time black, red, yellow, blue colors. 

Here's the first one of this set up. 

Here's the purebred. 

Give me feedback.  If you'd like this black background let me know.

• By R2ED
      Just keep on plugging away at these bones 5 set.  So so so much to paint still. 

Here we go.  The necromancer.

I am going to say i hate bone white from vallejo.  That stuff has terrible coverage.  Chalky.   And thinning it makes it take forever to dry.  Not a fan.  Every time i is it i think, "i should mark this bottle with an x."  

I wanted the cape to be darker red, but it still works.  I was nearly going to paint it purple and make her clothes red, but didn't.  She looks way way way too colorful for a necromancer, but it's what it is now.  

• By R2ED
      Got the first set of 5 done.  I bought 5 Santas (one was in my bones 5), 4 Mrs. Claus, 4 Christmas mouselings.   I'm preparing a holiday ornament and diorama for friends to give them. 

Santa is now complete, but still need to get him on his base with Mrs. Claus.

Battle Report! 

I painted my first santa with a black primer.   It took about 4 or 5 layers to get red to actually show and not look washed out.  I just happened across a youtube video where Paintman Journeying was talking about how laying pink under red will help coverage and saturation.   Was worth a try for how many red clothes characters i was about to do. 

WORKS AMAZING.  

I then took all of them to base coat with airbrush. And not only that, it gave me a great way to go through more of the BCA pink i have 5 bottles of.   Finally i can use it on more things!   Warning for others: BCA pink has weird coverage. It's very very very very chalky. I hadn't noticed it on my small parts i use to paint it on like tongues or trinkets, but on big areas i really noticed.  

The assembly like setup on these worked great. Painted in this order:
      Coat, pants, hat first. 
      Santa's gift bag (different red)  next. 
      Cream trims next. 
      Face.
      Teddy bear.
      Washes on face and bear. 
      Gloves, boots, and belt. 
      Packages and trim. 

So far so good. 

• By R2ED
      So, i don't know if this is okay or not, but i wanted to share them.  I had never painted any warhammer stuff.  Both because of the cost and the fear of getting caught up in that universe.  Well... it started. 

I bought my first set of intercessors back in January, but never touched them because i just didn't feel able to take them on.  There's some amazing painters who do these and i always felt inadequate.  Gotta start somewhere though.  I started watching a ton of videos on them and put some ideas together. 

Here's my first ever 5 painted.  I tried to test two paint schemes green and blue. I think they both came out great. 

having never got into these before, i now see the reason people like these so much.  Very fun but very time consuming.  

Would love your feedback. 
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)