Need a sealant.

Hi.

I'm looking for a sealant to use on my painted minis only. (not any sorts of terrain)

I paint for fun and personal enjoyment only. I'm working on some diorama like shelves to put my minis on display at home.

But if one day my minis do end up on a gaming table, I'm all for that, too.

Thanks!

~Z

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel (it's actually acrylic, like the paints) followed by  Testor's Dullcote. 

It's not glossy, is it? I need like matte, satin. Should've mentioned it

35 minutes ago, Zloyduh said:

It's not glossy, is it? I need like matte, satin. Should've mentioned it

The crystal clear is glossy but it is the hard coat that protects your paint job. The Dullcote is as flat as you're going to get with a spray product, one of if not THE best matte/flat spray products.  It can rub off with handling, but can be easily reapplied.  

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a topic that will get you many differing answers.  For my part I like to use a gloss first.  Any brand is fine as far as I'm concerned.  Then follow with a matt.  I have used both Testors Dullcote and like it but it can be hard to get sometimes.  Krylon 1311 from the art store is almost just as matt in my tests, cheaper by volume, and easy to get if you have a nearby art supply store.

If you are sealing bones models just be aware some people have had issues with the model never fully drying when sprayed by a rattle can and remaining tacky to the touch.  I've not personally had this issue but use at your own risk.  For Bones models Reapers official recommendation is to use brush on products.  If you brush something on brand doesn't matter.  I think many of us use Vallejo or Liquitex for this.

You can also use the brush on sealers in an airbrush if thinned correctly.

Bottom line I think is to pick up a small bottle of something and experiment with it to see what you like.  Reapers Brush on Sealer(which is a mat finish) and Gloss Sealers are also an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are just painting for display you really don't need a sealant on the minis. They don't suffer the handling that gaming miniatures suffer thru gameplay.

Like @Inarah says go with a glosscoat then a dullcoat afterwards. Glosscoats are stronger & more resistant to damage then dullcoats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plus if you have Gloss under Matt you can see more easily if you need to reapply.  If you play with a certain model alot and start to see glossy spots you know the matt is wearing off and can toss another coat on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:50 PM, haldir said:

If you are just painting for display you really don't need a sealant on the minis. They don't suffer the handling that gaming miniatures suffer thru gameplay.

Building further on the above, if you've put a lot of work into painting great details/transitions, sealer can sometimes obscure those, especially with multiples coats of sealer. A gloss coat and a matte coat have made some details work I've done indiscernible and I'm not even a display painter. Do either no sealer or one very light coat of a high-quality matte (like Testors dullcote) if it's just going to sit on a shelf.

If you might handle it later, I'd just do a single, light matte coat. If you know you are definitely going to handle it, I'd say skip going for really high quality painting, and use one or two coats of gloss and then a coat of matte. Too many coats of matte (or too heavy of a single coat), be it spray or brush-on, can lead to frosting.

• Like 3