I'm trying to figure out shade colors

R2ED

I noticed when I'm painting red i have a hard time shading it.  I mean, do i just add black to the paint and to deepen the tone?  Is there another color like purple that works better? 

This brought up something i hit a lot - what colors complement for shadow/shade?

I'm not a fan of using washes if i can avoid it.  I am hoping someone has some kind of recipe for ideal shades. 

Green?  Use Indigo. 

Brown?  Use black

Red? Use...

And on and on.   I know this is too simple of a formula given all the variety of color, but I'm really hoping someone has this in their arsenal they can share if give me good guidance on. 

• Like 1

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As @Glitterwolf already said you may use green, but be aware that it will also de-saturate your red.
For me the best is a very dark, warm, transparent purple (not Violet, don't know why but people tend to confuse this two colors).  If you need a reference look for "Vallejo Nocturna Chalice Red".
I don't have them so I can't compare, but probably Reaper Nightshade Purple or Burgundy Wine should work good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Easy mode - buy Reaper triads

Slightly harder - buy paint sets such as Scale75's Sky & Ice.  In this example you would get a range of blues that would play well together.

Hardest - study a bit of color theory.  You don't need to be an expert to start making use of it.  The main downside here is that mini paints are frequently mixed pigments.  This can cause unexpected results so even knowing what you are doing you will still need to experiment.  If you like books Figopedia by Jeremie Bonamant Teboul (Figone) is not a bad starting point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1