Do 3-D Printed Miniatures Need To Be Scrubbed Before Priming?

Title says it all; do 3-D printed miniatures need a scrubbing with dish soap before you prime them? What I normally do for miniatures in general is to soak them in Simple Green for a few minutes, then give them a good scrub with dish soap before priming; does this apply for 3-D prints as well as conventional miniatures? 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, MaskedRiderChris said:

Title says it all; do 3-D printed miniatures need a scrubbing with dish soap before you prime them? What I normally do for miniatures in general is to soak them in Simple Green for a few minutes, then give them a good scrub with dish soap before priming; does this apply for 3-D prints as well as conventional miniatures? 

If it's 3d printed and cured you don't need to.

Normally you scrub minis to remove any residue left from the molds.

In this case there are no molds.

Of course when it's freshly printed, clean it with alcohol, cure it, but that's it.

Ready for priming.

I have had good results with the Reaper liners and with Vallejo Surface primers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

If it's 3d printed and cured you don't need to.

Normally you scrub minis to remove any residue left from the molds.

In this case there are no molds.

Of course when it's freshly printed, clean it with alcohol, cure it, but that's it.

Ready for priming.

I have had good results with the Reaper liners and with Vallejo Surface primers.

Wonderful, thank you!

Glitterwolf is 100% correct on the mold release residue. For me though I always at a minimum give my minis a quick wash with soap and water before priming to ensure no dust, skin oils or such are on them. Prep is just as important as painting especially for gaming figs to have durable paint work.

• Like 5

To piggyback on what Marsya said, you will very likely end up getting something unwanted on your 3D printed mini during cleanup.  Personally I do my last bit of cleanup after the mini is cured, and if you purchase a 3D print from someone you don't know how they've handled it.  So while you shouldn't need to scrub scrub scrub a bit of soapy water is a good idea.

• Like 2