Nightmare Black Uses?

So, I'm intrigued by Nightmare Black.  I love the blue undertone it has but am wondering how I can put it to use?  I don't want to just use it as just a very dark blue black.  How are you all using it?

• Like 1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While not Nightmare Black, I have used Nightshade Purple (black w/purple) as the base for a hat on a female pirate I had painted up in purples & lavender colors. It worked well, I'm sure you could do something similar with NB.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rignes said:

So, I'm intrigued by Nightmare Black.  I love the blue undertone it has but am wondering how I can put it to use?  I don't want to just use it as just a very dark blue black.  How are you all using it?

mix a tiny amount with some gloss varnish, and some wash medium. put it over silver/grey metal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sounds like a great idea.  One of the games I have coming up to paint is Nemesis.  It's heavily influenced by the Alien movies and the core game intruders borrow heavily from that look.   I've attached a picture of the kind of look I want to achieve.  And your idea sounds like it might do just that.   I'll have to experiment with it.  Thanks..

alien-1_1_orig.thumb.jpg.33da434bd3e8686605dd7391119f4bbd.jpg

Edited by Rignes
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rignes said:

That sounds like a great idea.  One of the games I have coming up to paint is Nemesis.  It's heavily influenced by the Alien movies and the core game intruders borrow heavily from that look.   I've attached a picture of the kind of look I want to achieve.  And your idea sounds like it might do just that.   I'll have to experiment with it.  Thanks..

alien-1_1_orig.thumb.jpg.33da434bd3e8686605dd7391119f4bbd.jpg

Well, if you want to base with a carbon grey, dry brush a little cloudy grey, highlight misty grey, and then put the nightmare + wash + gloss over the top of it all you'd probably get fairly close. 

Might want a more blue highlight. Not sure. 

That sound close to what I was mulling over in my mind.  This project is a fair way off, want to finish Zombicide and the expansions I have first.  I was toying with the idea of dry brushing a darker steel metallic on the high points and then glaze it over with something blue/black in order to get a little bit of that shimmering insect carapace sort of look.  Not sure how well that would work out in practice, but just one of the ideas bouncing around the inside of my skull.

All of this is all in the speculation phase right now.  I'll have to dig out a test model and do some experimenting once I get closer.