Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
By Great Khan Artist
First of all, I have lots of people to thank for inspiration. This particular piece, the dilapidated fort, was directly taken from a project at Onyx Workshop. My other major inspiration is Le Golem Qui Reve, a French fellow who has been doing Sandgrave for a number of years. Check out his amazing blog. (If you're going to cite sources, it's not plagerism, right?)
This one was done using Hirst Arts Egyptian moulds: Floor tiles, sandblasted pyramid and regular walls. My go-to colours are P3 Rucksack Tan for the base, washed with GW Seraphim sepia. The bricks are done using a variety of tan and off whites available at the dollar store. The whole thing is drybrushed a cream, then flocked. I use regular plaster of paris and wood glue, with Aileen's tacky craft glue for the flocking. I use so much of the sand base I had it custom mixed at the hardware as a gallon. House paint stinks for minis, but it covers sand really well. The sand is locally collected from my yard.
To create the chipped look, I used a dull hobby knife blade and hacked at the wall. I'm very happy with how this looks and it has become my new way of making convincing ruins. The ladder is a leftover piece from an MDF kitbash. Each of the straight blocks is 1" long. The base is a piece from Charlie Foxtrot out of the UK. He's an amazing guy to purchase from. I believe it is from bases set one. I will admit I screwed up when I made it, it should be 5 inches long to accomodate a full unit for Wargods, which brings us to...
The minis are Crocodile Games. They have shields, and as part of my spring cleaning of the paint desk, they will soon receive them. The metal (or bones) mummy warriors complement this range very nicely, being comparable in size and asthetic. If you aren't fussy about duplicates, choose the bones version. The metal version seems to me like it could use a new mould --some of the detail seems shallow.
"The deep underground ocean known as the Shadow Sea has held mysteries for thousands of years, remains of ruined civilizations that built advanced cities and technological wonders in the abyssal depths. As the world of Theira falls into chaos, small bands of adventurers and mercenaries dive into the waters of the underground sea to hunt for the legendary ruins of Darkstar Rift for treasures and artifacts that can help their forces survive the cataclysm of war."
Somewhere along the line, I stopped picking up the brush. It's been about two months and it's taken me a couple weeks of going, "I should really..." to finally actually do something. It just kind of hit me one day that I needed to paint this. So I went out to the garage and dug through my Bones 3 and Bones 4 stash until I found one (I originally had plans for two). I washed it up a few days ago and it sat on the kitchen peninsula waiting for me to get back around to it.
I finally gave in last night instead of watching reruns. I didn't do a whole lot: just filled a well in my pallet with water and mixed in some Grey Liner and Wash Medium, and got cracking with a brush! In a freak occurrence that should send me scrambling for a stack of lottery tickets, I made almost the exact perfect amount of slop to cover the entire set! There was just a smidge left over.
After that I started pondering color options. I knew I was going to be using my craft paints for this, so I'm pretty limited at the moment with only a couple handfuls of options (most of which are some shade of brown or grey). A few minutes later I decided that my love for Reaper's Redstone Triad by my guide. There are plenty of grey stones out there, and I like to do things a little differently from time to time. Even though my colors aren't quite good matches for the Redstone, I can get the same feel: Chocolate Cherry, Burnt Sienna, and Terra Cotta (I think). So the Chocolate Cherry base coat went down on the stones.
I finished the night about two hours in, with all the standing stones (and most of the detritus) coated and the rest given something for a primer coat. I'm calling it a win.
With nothing but "The Curse of Oak Island" on tonight, I managed to make it "two in a row!"
Nothing much to say. I just grabbed my drybrushes and got to it. Burnt Sienna serves as the midtone and Terra Cotta is the highlight. I'm a little heavy on the highlight, and a little light on the midtone. After that it was Medium Foliage Green for the base. I really need to get the "Dark" and "Light" shades for that.
Another couple hours and I'm over halfway to the finish line.
I think I'll mix some blue into the Foliage Green to darken it up and use that as a wash on the base, and try some yellow or one of the lighter browns to do a drybrush.
Less than five hours in, and nearly finished. It's nothing special, but it works.
Thanks for stopping by!