Palette paper? Such a thing?

R2ED

I use the Masterson's Sta-Wet Palette.  It's a modest size, but fits perfectly on my little work space.  

What I'm looking for are pre cut palette paper for that size.  I've been cutting my own sheets from parchment paper, but it makes a lot of wasted scrap i can't use.  Also it's time consuming (yes, i even use a template to save time).  I HATE the paper that comes with the Masterson palette.  Garbage for our needs in hobby paint.  I recently picked up 50 sheets of the Army Painter palette paper, but it's about an inch short and isn't my fav. 

Does such a paper exist that fits this palette that anyone has used successfully? 

Otherwise I'm going to be cutting and wasting more parchment when it comes time. 

• Like 1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd just say to use the parchment. It's a far cheaper option compared to the pre-cut. Yeah, it's a little bit more work, but a roll you get from the grocery section will last forever there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The only pre-cut papers that will fit the Masterson exactly will be their papers which, as you know already, are not cost effective and not preferable for our kind of paints.

You can buy specialty wet palettes like the Redgrass Games one that make their own papers that fit that palette, but both the palette and papers are pricey and you may not like their specific papers (I don't) or you might not like the palette itself (I do, but I know a lot of people don't.)

However, I feel the same way as you - I don't like cutting the parchment paper rolls and I end up with a lot of wasted little awkward cut off pieces. What I ended up doing was ordering from Amazon a box of pre-cut parchment paper that is meant to be used to separate burger patties. The ones that I bought came in a box of 1,000 for around $14.00. You can find smaller packs for less - I'm seeing a lot of boxes of 300 for around $7.00. Bear in mind that they are squares and will not fit the palette exactly. You can get them in a range of sizes though. Looking back at my Amazon orders it looks like I got the 5"x5" ones. I find them perfect for me for a single session of painting (I do not try to reuse paint the next day) but they do not provide a lot of room if you like to do big mixes or use lots of different paints in a long session of painting and they are not small enough to fit more than one in the Masterson palette. Still, for my needs, I find it easy enough to just toss and replace if needed. The little re-closable box that they come in is also very convenient for throwing in a bag when going to paint elsewhere, which I haven't done a lot of in the past couple of years, but I used to pack a bag for a monthly visit with family where I set up a little mobile painting station and bringing the roll or trying not to crumple pre-cut pieces was a pain.

There are also pre-cut parchment papers that are made for cake baking that will be round, but you definitely do need to watch the sizing on those. And then there are pre-cut parchment papers that are made to go in the bottom of air fryers that will be a rounded square, but most of those are perforated for their specific use. 

Also there are flat sheets made for baking that may come in more convenient sizes for cutting them - it looks like 12"x16" is a common size, which would cut neatly in half down to 6"x8" - so probably comparable to the Army Painter size.

You do need to read the description carefully to be sure that you are not buying something that is coated in anything out of the ordinary and don't accidentally buy wax paper instead of parchment paper. Also be aware that you may spend $7.00 or so and wind up with 300 little squares of parchment that you do not like and/or end up not working for your actual needs.

TLDR: No, there's not an easy perfect replacement for the Masterson, you're either going to end up cutting paper or dealing with paper not being the exact right size, but there are at least options if you're willing to look around and put up with sizing issues if cutting and having awkward discarded pieces are the biggest problems for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, junkbarbarian said:

What size is the Masterson box?

Masterson makes a few different palettes that are different sizes and styles. The "handy" palette is the one that most people use and the inside is 8.5"x7". 

• Like 1

@GuindylooWOW!  Thank you for that awesome response.  I'll look into some of the custom stuff, but it's hard to know if that parchment paper is like the stuff I use currently that I like (Kirkland from Costco - the bomb diggity!).  I tried these Army Painter ones, but they don't work like I prefer.  Once you find one you love, it's hard to change to something else.  I dig your suggestion though and finding the pre-cut versions that are for baking.  I'll look into it.  

If nothing else, there's always the cutting my own, but having waste.  In some ways, there's just no way around it.  

Great reply!  Thank you.

• Like 2

The amount of parchment paper that gets wasted is trivial compared to the cost of precut paper. However if you really don't want scraps just plan your cuts out better. With the small palette you just need to 8.25x6.75 pieces from the standard 15" wide roll and your only waste will the the small scrap at the end of the roll.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, R2ED said:

I use the Masterson's Sta-Wet Palette.  It's a modest size, but fits perfectly on my little work space.  

What I'm looking for are pre cut palette paper for that size.  I've been cutting my own sheets from parchment paper, but it makes a lot of wasted scrap i can't use.  Also it's time consuming (yes, i even use a template to save time).  I HATE the paper that comes with the Masterson palette.  Garbage for our needs in hobby paint.  I recently picked up 50 sheets of the Army Painter palette paper, but it's about an inch short and isn't my fav. 

Does such a paper exist that fits this palette that anyone has used successfully? 

Otherwise I'm going to be cutting and wasting more parchment when it comes time. 

Reynolds makes parchment paper sheets that are pre-cut to fit cookie sheets. These are folded into fourths in the box. If you cut along the fold lines of these one of the small pieces fit perfectly in the Sta-Wet. If it is the Handy size that is.

ETA: This is a picture of the box.

image.png.549c8226545e14a5c3484431d5e70969.png

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could try my "hybrid" wet palette solution that uses both the original paper *and* the parchment paper on top.

Maybe it's all in my mind, but it gives me good results with the Masterson's sponge. Not too wet, not too dry.

• Like 2

I bought a huge pack of flat parchment sheets on Amazon a while ago for IMO a really good price. And I was doing what you are doing - measuring them out to perfectly fit my palette (I have the RGG one) and wasting a ton of paper. Then, I realized that I can just cut these pages into 4 pieces - center long side, center short side - and they fit into my palette. Sure there don't stretch from corner to corner but who cares? I use it, I toss it, I get a new piece. I have a ruled cutting mat and a long ruler on my bench 24/7 so I just grab them and cut a sheet in 30 seconds when I need one.

• Like 2