Pathfinder MK1 PbP Game

Hello, all!

I'm wanting to begin a Pathfinder PbP (play by post) game using the MK1 rule set, since I prefer that one better.

The setting will be the Dragon Empires, the continent of Tian Xia, specifically in the city of Kasai, in Minkai--rough real world equivalent is Tokugawa-era Tokyo when it was known as Edo. There will be equal parts roleplaying, action, intrigue, and comedy if I can help it, as my inspiration is more anime & tokusatsu than actual history, I'll freely admit. If you don't have the books or access to them, feel free to use this site for all you need:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Feel free to play what you like, as I'm pretty open to most anything within reason. Any character concept is subject to DM approval, as usual. I will require a good couple of pages of background story and biography, minimum, for all players' characters involved, so as to allow me to mess with you--I mean, create plot for you. Characters will begin at 3rd level, and standard character generation rules apply (as in roll 4d6, reroll 1s, and drop the lowest number for Attributes). Any questions, feel free to ask away, and I can be contacted outside here at: [email protected] for most anything. 

PREMISE:

The players in one way or another have been contacted by an emissary of a mysterious individual who is only known as Hwang Iscariot. Little is known of this one, but much is bandied about and presumed about him, as well as outright rumored--that he is a foreigner from parts unknown, that he is a powerful wizard with many enemies, that he is a dragon hiding behind a human alias, or even that he is the emissary using a pseudonym. Whatever the case, it's said that on the rare occasions he lends his ear and influence to the city's affairs, it's momentous since he doesn't pick just anything to throw his weight behind. According to this emissary, Master Hwang has need of agents who will work his will in a variety of ways against the powerful, well connected, and (it is said anyway) intensely corrupt Higashiyama Clan of Kasai. That latter clan is well known for their doings in a variety of circles, most notably in their capturing and imprisoning Emperor Shigure of the Sakura Throne, and replacing him with their puppet the Jade Regent, who seems content to lie about drunk and allow the Higashiyama Clan to have their way on everything. This has, of course, caused rather a lot of strife in the city by and large, and the emissary has made it clear to those he has spoken to that Master Hwang is willing to make things well worth their while if they are interested in working for him and assisting with matters that will be detailed in future meetings. It's even rumored that emissaries from the West, the far away continent of Golarion, may be showing up to assist, depending on how things are--yes, foreigners! 

Do feel free to mail me at <[email protected]> for any and all questions, and let me know if you're interested as well, since the site isn't always good about letting me know such things! Thank you all in advance, and let us have some fun with this!

Edited by MaskedRiderChris
Adding pertinent information
  • Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ADDENDUM:

For all interested parties, I'd like to have characters ready to go in the next 2 weeks, because we all have lives outside of here and life happens. I intend on updating an average of 2-3 times a week if all goes well, for those wondering (and thank you to @Kangaroorex for prodding my memory about posting that information). Hop on board, and welcome!

• Like 1

Oh, and I may as well list my house rules I go by when running on here, while I'm at it....

--Thou Shalt Observe The Rule Of Cool

--Thou Shalt Homebrew, And Homebrew Often

--Thou Shalt Acknowledge That The Rules Are Only Guidelines (ties in with #1)

Rules are there for a reason, but when it's time to bend them for storytelling purposes, I will gladly do so. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm sorely tempted because I've had a weird (stupid?) character concept lying in a mental drawer for years: a slightly mischievous fellow trying to play a mostly well-meaning trick on the world: creating not one, but two legends, that of a heroic, inspirational priest of the Goddess of the North Star and that of a roguish anti-hero. Hey, it's not that outlandish a dream for a Kitsune: he can be the hero in his fox form, and give shape to a human anti-hero, too. He can even go in as the persona that better fits a task!

I do have an idea how to build the character (no cleric or rogue levels involved, that would be too easy), but my issue is that I'm not all that familiar with Tian Xia, and particularly not Minkai/Kasai. So I'm not entirely sure I can pull off multiple pages of background/biography that actually agree with lore. Would you be okay with helping flesh out a rougher draft?

• Like 1

Quick newbie question guys. I am trying to figure up my hit points, my PC uses a d10 for calculations and has a +2 modifier from Con. So, do I use 10 points per level like Starfinder, or do I roll for each level, or do I use the 10 for the 1st level and then roll for the other 2 levels?

15 hours ago, Arkady said:

Hmm, I'm sorely tempted because I've had a weird (stupid?) character concept lying in a mental drawer for years: a slightly mischievous fellow trying to play a mostly well-meaning trick on the world: creating not one, but two legends, that of a heroic, inspirational priest of the Goddess of the North Star and that of a roguish anti-hero. Hey, it's not that outlandish a dream for a Kitsune: he can be the hero in his fox form, and give shape to a human anti-hero, too. He can even go in as the persona that better fits a task!

I do have an idea how to build the character (no cleric or rogue levels involved, that would be too easy), but my issue is that I'm not all that familiar with Tian Xia, and particularly not Minkai/Kasai. So I'm not entirely sure I can pull off multiple pages of background/biography that actually agree with lore. Would you be okay with helping flesh out a rougher draft?

Give me your email address and I'll shoot a few PDF files your way that may be helpful, and I'll do the same for all y'all who need source information. 

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Quick newbie question guys. I am trying to figure up my hit points, my PC uses a d10 for calculations and has a +2 modifier from Con. So, do I use 10 points per level like Starfinder, or do I roll for each level, or do I use the 10 for the 1st level and then roll for the other 2 levels?

I generally just let my players allot maximum HP per level along with CON bonus. Makes it easier on everybody.

• Thanks 1

that works.  Anyone have a problem with froggies (Grippli)  he started in another campaign that died and he never got below first level.  I would really like to give Arune Loghopper, cousin of BoDeep Swamphopper a new chance.  He's a graduate of the legendary hollow world school of magic as a magus.

let me know if that doesn't work and I will come up with something else!

• Like 1

Well, if I do run with that Kitsune, he might be mildly prejudiced against anything that looks monstrous, well, an unusual kind of monstrous for Minkai, anyways, in a pragmatic Desna (Goddess of the North Star) hates Lamashtu kind of way.

While I suspect you'd have to modify the background a little to fit Tian Xia, imo a wandering grippli magus from the Valashmai Jungle winding up in Kasai sounds plausible.

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

that works.  Anyone have a problem with froggies (Grippli)  he started in another campaign that died and he never got below first level.  I would really like to give Arune Loghopper, cousin of BoDeep Swamphopper a new chance.  He's a graduate of the legendary hollow world school of magic as a magus.

let me know if that doesn't work and I will come up with something else!

Interesting idea, but I'd prefer you stick with one of the races listed in the Tian Xia books along with any of the standard Pathfinder races, myself. There's a possiblity that you'd be assumed to be a Yokai of some kind, and that would be a pretty serious sticking point with a lot of, if not most, Minkaian folks. As it happens, there's an area of Minkai called Jinin that is mostly populated by Elves that are descendants of a shipwrecked Western Elf crew that settled in that region, so Elves are not unheard of in Minkai, for example.

Edited by MaskedRiderChris
Clarification