Cave Troll - #77704

Pochi

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Metalchaos said:

You did some very smooth blends of colors, it created a beautiful dark osl effect. I especially like the transition area showing the dark blue and the purple on the last picture.

7 minutes ago, Painting Dog said:

The luminous OSL is really effective! Well done!

Thank you! I wanted to use similar colors that I used on my Fungal Queen. I also painted a glowy mushroom but did not affix it to the base because it blocked too much of the troll. So, you just have to imagine the light source.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

Fantastic OSL. Maybe have the mushroom on its own base?

Yeah, I just have the mushroom separate. If I use any of it for games, I have crystals and mushrooms and stuff to add to the caves. It would have been nice to have the source of the light on the base but it looked better without. I didn't want to make a huge base just to add a mushroom to it!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Inarah
      This is the bones version of 3761, and I think it has not made it into the store yet.  I painted it like a big orc, or like the title says, half-ogre/half-orc.  I don't normally paint blood, but this guy needed a little extra to emphasize how mean he is. 

• By planetmut
      I really like this chap's air of melancholy as he trudges through a cold, damp marsh.

• By Inarah
      Black on black, your standard sci-fi street-runner.  Gave his coat a touch of purple just to give the eye something to look at.  

• By R2ED
      Took a shot at the ol OSL. 

This model is from my youth that I'd always been afraid to paint because i didn't want to mess it up.  Years later, now I feel like my skills are better and it was worth a shot.  Not only did I take a shot, I did it with a real challenge applied to it.  I was either going to mess it up - or REALLY mess it up.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Using the colors red and purple seem very wizardly.  Felt like a strong combo and happy with it.
      *  The OSL I did was using a dry brush and sweeping it from the main source and only moving in that direction.  
      *  After the initial area had been 'zoned' I went in and brought up the colors further.  I had a difficult time identifying what would be lit or not.

Misses:
      *  The highlight on the face is way too much.  I wanted a light cast to it, but Iwasn't thinking like sitting in front of the sun.  Help.
      *  What colors to use for bringing up a light source?  I was thinking some kind of fire getting cast away.  I went Orange, Yellow, White, but only hitting white up close and fading to deeper colors farther from the source.
      *  The shading in the cape and undercape - I didn't do anything but feel it does need something.  Does it look strange without it?

If I were to base this one, I'm wondering how I can really knock this light effect out on the base, too.  I may end up just leaving this as is and thinking fondly of it as a first attempt at OSL.  I also think having taken a challenge piece from my childhood and honoring it with something fun to do in my adulthood felt...redeeming.  
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)