The Mighty Hercules! WIP

aku-chan

Considering this is a Reaper forum, I don't post nearly enough Reaper stuff!

Going to try remedying that by slowly going through that big box of Bones V I've got perched on top of my stack of unpainted things.

I'm starting with Hercules (Didn't expect him to be my first choice, but I have been watching a lot of Greek Myth stuff on Youtube lately):-

2sMvmf9.jpg

This is after I've prepped him, primed him, had a second go at the mold-lines (I'm trying to get better at this), re-primed and finally given a Brown Wash.

Got a little problem going on with his right arm, from the back it's all bulging muscle, but from the front the gap between his bicep and club is filled in with something. Not sure how to fix this, so I decided to paint it as part of his lion cape (And hope no one notices the two halves don't line up).

Ry5sCb5.jpgzYHi82d.jpg

Huh, mystery solved. Looking at it now in these piccys, I can see that weird bit of arm is actually his thumb.

Painted his lion cape first (I'm a messy drybrusher).

This was a base of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow, then a Brown Wash, then drybrushes of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow and Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Bonewhite. 

While the mane and tail end were a base of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown, Brown Wash and drybrushes of Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown and Iraqi Sand/Ochre Yellow/Leather Brown/Bonewhite.

Finally, it got Bonewhite claws, Dwarf Skin paw pads and then everything got Sepia Wash.

While I'm on the computer I need to see if lions have special noses, if not then tomorrow I start on the skin of Hercules!

• Like 11

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

On 10/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, mousekiller said:

Seems to be never ending, those piles of miniatures!!!

It doesn't help that I keep adding to them!

F1Rskcu.jpg

It's hard to concentrate on painting at the moment, but I'm trying to do a little bit every day so I make steady (if incredibly slow) progress.

Turns out lions do have special noses (they start off pink and get blacker as they get older), so I painted the lions nose with Pure Black.

Then I did Hercules skin (Dwarf Skin > Flesh Wash > Dwarf Skin > Dwarf Skin/Light Flesh), with some Brown Wash in his eyes.

Keep finding mold-lines I've missed, but I'm leaving them alone now, I made quite the mess of some of his muscle definition removing the one on his chest.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nice skin!

Thanks!

S0EpOW3.jpg

His dot eyes were looking a little stark, so I did my best to give him proper eyes.

I also did his hair and beard (Leather Brown/Scarlett Red > Leather Brown/Scarlett Red/Ochre Yellow > Brown Wash) and made a start on his club (Parasite Brown with a Ochre Yellow drybrush, Bronze studs and then a Brown Wash over everything).

Gotta finish his club, then it's toga time!

• Like 6

XIS4S9t.jpg

Continuing to do little bits of painting as life allows me and I've finally finished his toga.

The toga itself is Ghost Grey/Off-white > Grey Wash > Ghost Grey/Off-white > Off-white, while the trim is Steel Grey with the pattern picked out with Black Wash.

Not the neatest of jobs but it looks okay.

Leathery bits next. 

• Like 8

zaWSgyr.jpg

Painted up his archery equipment.

The middle bits of the quivers are Magic Blue, the arrows are Magic Blue/Off-white with a Brown Wash, and the bow is Parasite Brown/Off-white with a Brown Wash and a highlight of Parasite Brown/Off-white with Bonewhite straps.

Definitely painting his leathery bits next, they're the only bits left!

• Like 6