Getting to know You, November 2021

Inarah

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nov. 20 - 21 weekend question: 

How would you describe your dream hobby/game room? 

Well, start with something about this size....
5760.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Half would be for minis storage, the rest would be divided into: a minis painting desk, an airbrushing station, an assembly area, a terrain building area, a 3D printing farm, a luxurious RPG area with supper comfy chairs and an amazing table, a bunch of minis playing tables with some awesome boards to use,  a minis display area, and a food area, preferably with Star Trek replicator tech. A washroom should probably be on the list too, and a small apartment, since I'd never leave......

More realistically, if my office was about twice the size it is it would be an awesome hobby room, but not a play area. It's just a little cramped and cluttered as it is, since I try to do too many different thing all the time....

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought it would be fun to rent an RV and tour around, playing games on the built-in table and chairs, driving from convention to convention and stopping to check out all the parks and historical sites. It would be even better if you got someone not playing to drive. 

My entire house is pretty much a gaming room. There are plaster moulds stacked on the kitchen counter with the food dehydrator for drying plaster blocks; a dungeon set up in the living room; there is no dining room, only a paint table and display case; the linen closets are full of terrain; there are dioramas in the office and on bookshelves in my bedroom and a bag of bark chips in the shed. My friend commented that there were minis in every room of the house, which is a lie because there are none in the bathroom or laundry room or even the guest bedroom. But since she had to say something, I will be sure to put something in these rooms. 

If we ever move the house to a basement, I will move the minis down there. It would be super fun to do something Egyptian, since you can get so many neat props. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, Corsair said:

Fill in Quizzle for today:

Did you watch the eclipse yesterday?

Yes! It was cold, but worth it.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, Inarah said:

Sorry, server was down for me this morning.  Planned question for today: 

Nov. 19: What made you smile this week. 

I had planned to, but completely forgot about it while I was sleeping. It was probably cloudy anyway. 

Snuggling with Alice, watching Jojo play and explore, kissing my wife.

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Well, they'd be 2 different rooms. Wouldn't want the hobby stuff to mess up any of the gaming stuff. Spills, sprays, etc...

The game room would have more art & decorations. Quasi-medieval theme.  Big table that would work for wargaming or RPGs, Comfy chairs.

Good sound systems in both areas, some really dynamic lighting controls. Computer set up in the hobby area. Both rooms would have extensive shelving and storage space. Actually the gaming area might have a closet rather than in room storage... Yeah.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Now that I see what they use in Campaign 3 of Critical Role, my dream game room needed an upgrade.

The game table:

alex-andrews-mview-image20190622-3697-o7

Wide sides, a DM nook, large gaming surface, usable drawers.

What I'd change for my needs would be either an embedded large screen monitor as a playable surface *or* a top down projector.

For the rest:

• Smart bulbs for adjustable mood lighting (brightness color).
  • Several speakers all around for soft music + 1 extra for sound effects.
  • Large bookcases on the walls with glass doors to store and display books and minis.
  • Several decorations hung around the walls. Pictures, posters, maps, fancy props.
  • Plenty of space to move all around the table. Game rooms are notoriously tight.
  • Working beverage dispenser, coffee machine.
  • Bluetooth speaker and monitor in the restroom. So no one misses anything.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Have you ever seen Clash of the Titans (1981 version)? So I want one wall to be like Zeus's place where he keeps figures of mortals, with alcoves for each of my minis to fit perfectly, and it magically adjusts to make more space for every newly completed mini, though the size of the room never grows from the dimensions it occupies in the house (it's kind of a T.A.R.D.I.S. hobby room, bigger on the inside).

Another wall has dual industrial strength fume hoods so I can spray any aerosol or paint or pour nasty resins and not have it stink up the room or any of the house. Occupying one corner in a large L shape are several sturdy tables, sized appropriately for me to sit at, housing an assembling station, painting station and a miscellaneous staging area. Lots of wall-mounted bins. The other walls are filled with shelves for paints, materials, a peg board rack to hang mini blisters on.

There's a couple dog beds on the floor for Molly and Dixie. The temperature in the room is kept at 77 degrees, and comfortable humidity. Right down the middle of the room is a heavy table to build terrain and scenery on. And there is plenty of adequate lighting, the nice daylight kind... and it also helps to get vitamin D so I don't have to actually go outside for it... and there's a full private bathroom. And a mini-fridge that never runs out of Coke.

Hey, you asked for a dream room, not a feasible one.

This is probably the best choice.

Add a kitchen a large dinner table and a shower so I won't have to leave anymore and we're there.

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

Well, personally, I prefer to dream about the potentially achievable.  At the moment, I already have a game table:

E71A88C9-845D-4210-9E00-058B34D6D73D.thumb.jpeg.cc653937c984c52a980c7eb8513b37a6.jpeg

It is doubling as the dining room table, though, so games on/in it are rare compared to dinners.  The overall dimensions are about 3.5’ by 5.5’, so a reasonable movement zone around the table (which it does not have here) would be about 3 additional feet in each direction, so ~10 by 12.  We live in an older house with a maze of small rooms, so there isn’t really a room that size to be found.  Would a bigger table be better? The largest convention miniatures scenarios I stage single-handedly are on 6x10 foot tables.  You could take that as an upper limit of the semi-practical dream.  (And that implies a 12 by 18 space, or ~4m by 6m for the folks in the rational part of the world…). There would have to be powerful overhead lighting so that I could see what i was playing.

My actual dining room is right off the actual kitchen, and has an attached bathroom (not visible to the right, with a shower, for whatever odd reason).  A dream space would have a snack station, with a refrigerator, coffee/espresso station (I don’t have at-home espresso now), some counter space and a small sink.

01255CAC-3EA9-4662-9164-BF220AB458FE.thumb.jpeg.54eec078fa6c6dc92c246a60eb7ff1e7.jpeg

My other real space is the “library”.  If you combined that with the game room, you would probably need as much space for that as for the table.  My real library has bookcases that have room for all of the history and wargaming books, but more would be needed to house the rules, the board games, and the fiction.  I’d like better shelving. (Barrister book cases?) My desk, which is currently covered in painting stuff (though I gave it about a 75% clean-up yesterday) would become two work surfaces, one for papers and writing, and one for paints and modeling.  A comfortable reclining chair with good lighting for reading (and occasional napping) would be the last piece of the puzzle.  I suppose a second chair to enable a conversation with a single guest would be nice, but multiple people would presumably be there to play, so would just need reasonably comfortable seating at the game table.

Hmmm…I guess it would also need a huge walk-in closet with industrial shelving for the miniatures and terrain.  That’s currently the realm of the basement:

8089412D-60E3-43B9-8451-97923256819C.jpeg.52c58bd1cdf86bf3de8565d3dc15ed83.jpeg

So, let’s see, 12x18 for the table, 24x18 with the library, 12 by 6 for the bar, and a 20x12 closet…this is getting up toward house-sized, isn’t it? 🤨

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

20 hours ago, aku-chan said:

An actual hobby room with a permanently setup painting desk and maybe a table where I can leave in progress board games set up is all I want at the moment.

Once I have that then I can start dreaming bigger.

While I enjoyed seeing/reading about everyone's great ideas, I have to say I agree with this. Currently, I have a painting desk set up in the corner of the living room. 

So yeah, an actual room would be a nice start. Ideally, it'd be big enough to store a fair amount of my stuff and have room for 2 workbenches; 1 for miniatures building/painting, and 1 for terrain building/painting. Two tables (1 for miniatures and 1 for RPG's or board games) would be nice, but this hypothetical room is starting to get a little big so practicality says one table.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Personally, I'm okay with leaving and going upstairs for a snack or to go potty. A bit of exercise keeps one fighting fit. 

I keep fit by slinging pewter-laden storage totes as I rummage around Tetris-style looking for where I put something. Look for my exercise DVD commercial soon.

Two Labradors will keep you surprisingly fit, with all the potty breaks and walks. Since they each go out one at-a-time (hard to keep a younger and older going at the same pace), and if one goes out the other must go also, that's anywhere from 10-14 trips outside per day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 11/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

I've always thought it would be fun to rent an RV and tour around, playing games on the built-in table and chairs, driving from convention to convention and stopping to check out all the parks and historical sites. It would be even better if you got someone not playing to drive. 

I had probably better not be the driver; between my likely inability to park the thing, and my occasional panic attacks on bridges and roads clinging to the sides of gorges, it’d be better if I were only tasked with relief driving across the plains. 😕 The basic idea sounds good, though.  I already have a project intended for small spaces and tables, and one could probably find room for another period as well (something horse and musket, perhaps).  I wonder what the table sizes available in RVs range…?

• Like 6