Getting to know You, November 2021

Inarah

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Nov. 22: Miniatures come in a variety of materials: metal, plastic, resin, 3d printed...... What do you prefer to paint? 

I'm old school (though, with only about 11 years in the hobby, there are older old-schoolers than I). I want metal. Yes, it's more prep work, but I like doing that. I like making my surface nice and smooth. I have enjoyed the few Bones USA figures I've done though.

Plastics have their place, but not all plastics are created equal (and most resin is technically a plastic, a thermosetting plastic, as opposed to thermoplastic). I would shudder to hold Ma'al in full pewter glory (and so would my wallet). Ouchie. I have accepted Bones white as a necessary evil.

Never done a 3d-printed mini before, but it's on my list.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Nov. 22: Miniatures come in a variety of materials: metal, plastic, resin, 3d printed...... What do you prefer to paint? 

ok so, in order of preference:

hard plastics (ABS/styrine) fairly resilient, easy to glue, easy to clean, takes paint really well, some times has bad fills and cuts.

soft plastics (bones black, bones USA, Bones classic) Cheap, travels really well, has good details, has some clean up issues doesn't always sand/file well, really has issues once you get above a certain size.

metal (except mantic.) The most mature technique it's issues are well known and documented, holds detail a little better than the plastics, can have assembly issues, increasingly expensive, prone to paint chipping

3d print resin. can get some interesting undercuts, and a lot of fun models available, has scan lines, can have drip marks and pitting from supports. I'm putting it above all other resins just because you can usually find out EXACTLY what material was used, so there are not paint non-adhesion surprises.

3d print FDM, and other methods. If they had a smaller grain I'd put these much higher on the list

commercial resin. I hate this. not because all resins are bad but because it's a giant mystery box of who knows what material was used. I've had to scrap more bad resin than any other material. I only buy it by mistake at this point.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I prefer hard plastic minis as I really enjoy putting them together, but I have no preference when it comes to actually painting them.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

For the most part I pretty much just paint for the tabletop, so my preferences are for more durability. That means I like the softer, more flexible, plastics like bones. When some yahoo from my gaming group drops a bones skeleton on the floor and then tramples it while trying to find it at least it's coming back to the table in one piece. Resin, or even metal is getting broken and bits are getting lost around that group. 

For when I'm painting for display, or just want to make something look nicer than normal, then it's a toss up between metal and resin. Resin is a bit too fiddly at times and I've had a few pieces shatter when trying to trim them up, and some of the worst casting jobs I've ever seen were in resin. But lately a few of the metal minis I've gotten, even from Reaper, seem to be pitted and cracked. Which is a big disappointment when you're paying the higher price for metal. So you know, both of those materials can be great, but have their drawbacks. For me at least.

I've never painted anything in 3D printed materials. And haven't painted enough hard plastic to have much of an opinion about it. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Though I own a few ReaperCon resin minis, I've only ever painted metal and plastic.

Can't say I have a strong preference as both have their pros and cons.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

As a painter I prefer resin; anyway it always depends by the quality: plastic is also good if you do not have to fight with absurd gaps. 
Between bones and metal I think metal is better, but I have to say that bones black is very good. 
Can't speak about 3D printing cause I don't own a printer.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

It really depends on why I'm painting. If it's some grunt for the table I want plastic. Light, resilient to chipping, and I'm less likely to obsess over the tiny details.

If I'm painting for Reapercon or painting up someone's PC, then I'll want something metal or resin, or maybe Bones USA.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

While I prefer to paint metal, resin & hard plastic paint up quite nicely, AND plastic is wonderful for conversions...I love conversions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

I like them all, for different reasons. Metal minis have an old school charm to them, though some are difficult to paint details and the paint does chip a bit easier. Plastic minis are easier to paint in sub-assemblies (for those who do 40K and the like), and I particularly like the new Bones USA for the high fidelity that it has. Resin (such as Forgeworld) also has some very sharp details, though it also requires a lot more cleanup and is more brittle. As for 3D printing, it's become much more prevalent over the last few years and you can customize what you need. Not to mention that I've been considering getting one for some time......

• Like 7