Getting to know You, November 2021

Inarah

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Nov. 24: If you had a choice between a vintage figure of your dreams and a new limited or unreleased figure which would you choose? 

If it is Battletech, I would take the new plastic mini, the new stuff is fantastic.

• Like 9

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Nov. 24: If you had a choice between a vintage figure of your dreams and a new limited or unreleased figure which would you choose? 

There's no specific vintage figure I'm after, so I'd go for something new and unreleased.

In particular one of those still unreleased Kingdom Death figures I've been waiting years for (And presumably still have quite a lot of waiting to go).

• Like 9

On 11/23/2021 at 9:51 AM, Inarah said:

Nov. 23: What is your unique ability? 

I can write words upside down and blindfolded. I tried it just now with “ INARAH “ and sure enough, it looked correct when I turned the envelope around. 

19 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm about 98% sure that the universe is actually afraid of me... I regularly win staring contests with the laws of physics. ::D:

The universe is not afraid of you. Don’t mistake fear for amusement. 

Vintage. 

Final answer…

• Like 8

As long as it's in good condition, I'd take the vintage figure. If it's coming to me second-hand from someone who assembled it sloppily and used 5-minute epoxy to hold it all together and used a difficult-to-remove primer, then I'd rather have the new figure. Time is precious in this hobby.

• Like 7

If we're talking something like R-One's Anubis, I'll gladly go with that!  I missed out on getting one due to the cost....  Sure also wouldn't mind getting my paws on A Knight from Industria Mechanika... 

• Like 7

I got on a vintage mini kick once, trying to collect a couple of my favorites from my youth. Once I got a few of them, I stopped because I remembered why I'm not generally a nostalgic person. Leave nostalgia as a memory, enjoy the fruits of modern state of the art sculpting and casting.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

The new figure. Classic items have their charm, but the advances made in manufacturing techniques make the best recent figures superlative. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

Some new limited or unreleased fig.  I don't really have anything vintage that I'd love to have, but there are newish things, like that CAV dropship, that I'd love to have.

• Like 7

On 11/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I like them all, for different reasons. Metal minis have an old school charm to them, though some are difficult to paint details and the paint does chip a bit easier. Plastic minis are easier to paint in sub-assemblies (for those who do 40K and the like), and I particularly like the new Bones USA for the high fidelity that it has. Resin (such as Forgeworld) also has some very sharp details, though it also requires a lot more cleanup and is more brittle. As for 3D printing, it's become much more prevalent over the last few years and you can customize what you need. Not to mention that I've been considering getting one for some time......

If you do end up getting that printer, I'd love to help you off-set the costs by purchasing Egyptian terrain and minis...

I used to be a hard-core metal only girl, but that was in the earlier days of plastics. Plastics have come a long ways. The first Bones I bought (wave 1) I wanted to send back, and I would've, if not for the cost of shipping. I did not like them at all. But I'm really happy with my Bones 5 minis. I do like hard plastic minis, and they're fun to assemble, but they have an annoying habit of losing their weapons when you drop them. Lately, GW's hard plastics don't really even show mould lines. I do still love metal, but it's getting so expensive, not only the materials, but the shipping cost. 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:51 AM, Inarah said:

When I worked at Quiznos, I could sweat the odour of beef dip. 

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

I think the vintage figure, just for a conversation piece. I heard about a very early Citadel dragon that was cut into slices, because they didn't know how to mould him. It's apparently quite rare. The article I read about this also mentioned that the early sculptors occasionally sculpted in some materials that blew up when they were cast. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:26 AM, Corsair said:

A glittery human?

No, that would make him a Twilight Saga vampire and nobody wants that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

When I worked at Quiznos, I could sweat the odour of beef dip. 

I had a friend who once ate 40 ranch-flavored chicken wings in college (it was $0.15 per wing night at a restaurant), and for the next day he reeked of the smell of ranch, even after taking several shower throughout the day. The meat-sweats are a real thing.

1 hour ago, Great Khan Artist said:

No, that would make him a Twilight Saga vampire and nobody wants that. 

True statement.

• Like 8

On 11/23/2021 at 9:51 AM, Inarah said:

To have an excellent idea that is totally appropriate to the situation at hand.

10 or 15 minutes too late to be helpful.

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

Vintage.

• Like 10