Windows SP2

Qwyksilver

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using it since it came out on my laptop with no issues. Appart from some new security additions M$ makes sure you know about I haven't noticed a difference, whether good or bad.

It was kinds of "neat" to see the new security "in action" as it warns you if your virus protection is out of date or non-existant and other potential harms. It also firewalls all of your connections so gamers may have to allow a few things or disable the firewall alltogether (not recommended unless you have something like zonealarm or have hardware firewall).

We will know soon enough find out how "effective" SP2 has been I'm sure...

• Reaper User
Just curious if anyone has installed and started using the new Service Pack 2 for Windows XP?

Any comments. Anyone notice any significant changes in performance/function?

I had the misfortune of having it download/install by accident. Wrecked my OS. Boot up/shut down is a disaster, lags, and my network has developed a severe twitch. I'm rebuilding my OS tomorrow because of the 20+ blue screens I've suffered in the few days following the release. Nightmarish!!!

Avoid for a few months till the yahoos at Microsoft iron out the kinks.

>>ReaperWolf

I always wait for a few months (about 6) until the bugs are worked out. I wish they did at work. We're using Acrobat 6.0 Professional and in order to get the e-fixes that will get rid of the problems we're experiencing (it's not creating EPS files correctly and causing major problems) we have to go through a long, drawn out process of getting the fixes approved through channels.

Yes, they're free fixes.

Yes, the original software is approved and licensed properly.

But can we just get the fixes so my nice, clean, white background eps files won't end up with a yellow background when imported into a word processing program and look like someone eps'd the file through Word? No. We have to sit, wait, and do our best to create the course material to train the new workers for ALL SERVICE CENTERS that has to go to print in mid-November.

I sure hope we don't have to redo all the graphics. As it is I'm raising the roof about needing the e-fixes enough to have my boss complain to his boss and sending out emails saying WE NEED THIS!!

Yes, big time system slow down since installing it...

Booting up/shutting down now takes about 3-4 times longer. Other minor annoyances as well.

I never used to install them so quickly since I don't download stuff I don't know about, but I let someone borrow my computer (for a LAN party) and it came back with a virus. So this time I installed it.

It really messed up a friends computer though, he wiped his HD and reinstalled just like RW.

We are currently evaluating it for deployment where I work. There are quite a few applications that we use that it breaks, so untill there is a fix or a work-around, I think we are going to wait a little while.

Some of the security holes they claim to fix, also aren't really fixed - and just give a false sense of security while your machine is being compromised (read pwn3d).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639276,00.asp

I'd wait a little while.

You can switch your browser from Internet Explorer to something else (I use Mozilla Firefox, which is GREAT with all the plugins and customizations available - plus it's speedy and isn't as prone to compromise and exploitation like IE)

Hey, thanks for the reports everyone. I wasn't planning on installing it right away. But glad to hear about other's problems (sorry you experienced them, but thank you for sharing the warning) so that I, and others don't fall into the same trap.

Well I just got a new motherboard so I decided to re-image hard-drive. Apart from frustration at slow modem speeds (were they ever really fast), various differences in MB setups, no probs yet.

But then again I haven't tried running all my games or other programs. Still fairly vanilla. But I did update as many drivers etc to most recent as possible, so they may have already had the SP2 fixes.

Actually I just installed it. My anti-virus went down, my wireless went down, my dvd player also went down... so no wait a bit more.

UPDATE: well I thought about going back using System Restore but somehow all my restore points are gone.... just great

• Reaper User
Actually I just installed it. My anti-virus went down, my wireless went down, my dvd player also went down... so no wait a bit more.

UPDATE: well I thought about going back using System Restore but somehow all my restore points are gone.... just great

Try uninstalling it instead, worked for me. Bought myself a couple of extra days before I reinstall XP sometime later this week.

>>ReaperWolf

If you have a pre-built OEM system (Dell, Compaq, etc.) then I'd recommend SP2 for home users. Work users should wait until their IT department gives it the thumbs up. If you have a Frankenstein box at home (built it yourself) then I wouldn't go SP2 unless you are adventurous or don't have / use a firewall of some sort already. The updates to the firewall (and turning it on by default) are pretty nice in SP2, btw.

Otherwise, in my professional experience, it's been one of the better major updates Microsoft has released (in terms of breaking the fewest things).