Reaper BaseBoss 2: Enthusiasm and Commentary!

Guindyloo

Never did get any kind of shipping notice, so decided to check bb2 pledge manager and sure enough there is a shipping cost in there. So, I went small on this one because honestly I print most of my bases now, especially since I have a few commercial kickstarters that are strictly bases, BUT I don't really (or didn't at the time of base boss 2) have bases with skulls so I ordered:

10qty 60mm Round Skull Insert

5qty 80mm Round Skull Insert

basically ten bucks, and my shipping and tax is $7.22. 

Not really sure WTH is going on with shipping, but shipping has really gotten out of hand. I hope reaper can wait till after the 1st of the month, because I am broke right now. Rent has gone up, car insurance up, I am just getting killed here. And as others have said, this doesn't bode well for Bones 6. I guess it is a blessing that this kickstarter I didn't go crazy at all like bones 4 and 5, and I haven't locked anything in and am still sitting on my $10 pledge. I was going to add the new storm giant (well two actually), the undead expansion and one or two dead mans tales, but now I am seriously considered just taking my 10 bucks as a loss if shipping is going to be exponentially expensive. I don't know if @Reaper_Jonand @Reaper Ron have addressed this anywhere but it would be nice if they could address how bones 6 will be shipping wise.

• Like 6

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$7 is going to be a minimum shipping cost for pretty much anything.  I've never seen a postage bill for packages (not letters/flats) come out less than that unless a retailer was eating the shipping cost or it qualified as media mail.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Never did get any kind of shipping notice, so decided to check bb2 pledge manager and sure enough there is a shipping cost in there.

Neither did I. Thanks for thinking of checking the pledge manager. Sure enough, there was a charge for shipping and taxes. Still haven't received an email receipt saying I paid though. I'll give it a day or two before I reach out to Reaper to see what's going on just in case that confirmation is slow in coming. But it certainly looks like they're still having some glitches when it comes to notifying people about shipping costs. 

• Like 3

update, snapped a bit off one base snapping the sprue off (a 50mm one). I'll be a little more careful moving forward, but flush cut nippers work fine on them.

If anyone at reaper is reading these, please don't move to more Hard for future retail batches. i think the sciores mix in these are spot on as far as flexibility.

• Like 1

Yahoo!  My package was delivered friday while I was at Origins, but I arranged to have it scooped up.  When my friend picked it up, the box had been mauled by some machine (or werewolf?) and taped back together.  Somewhere between Chez Mike and Reaper HQ there's a scattering of bases that didn't complete their journey 😞

Email off to help to see what my options are.

Though it's still a seriously large amount of bases....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

15 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Never did get any kind of shipping notice, so decided to check bb2 pledge manager and sure enough there is a shipping cost in there. So, I went small on this one because honestly I print most of my bases now, especially since I have a few commercial kickstarters that are strictly bases, BUT I don't really (or didn't at the time of base boss 2) have bases with skulls so I ordered:

10qty 60mm Round Skull Insert

5qty 80mm Round Skull Insert

basically ten bucks, and my shipping and tax is $7.22. 

Not really sure WTH is going on with shipping, but shipping has really gotten out of hand. I hope reaper can wait till after the 1st of the month, because I am broke right now. Rent has gone up, car insurance up, I am just getting killed here. And as others have said, this doesn't bode well for Bones 6. I guess it is a blessing that this kickstarter I didn't go crazy at all like bones 4 and 5, and I haven't locked anything in and am still sitting on my $10 pledge. I was going to add the new storm giant (well two actually), the undead expansion and one or two dead mans tales, but now I am seriously considered just taking my 10 bucks as a loss if shipping is going to be exponentially expensive. I don't know if @Reaper_Jonand @Reaper Ron have addressed this anywhere but it would be nice if they could address how bones 6 will be shipping wise.

Remember thou, with Bones 6 shipping in the near future, shipping costs could easily go up in that time. So what they quote now, might not be the right amounts for when it does ship & since we live in the internet age, someone will be irked enough about that to throw a net tantrum over it.

Totally understand (sorta) about the high costs, I mean everything is high these days, but I just placed a order with GSW & the order had like 15 to 17 dollars in shipping costs. I'm kinda curious on the weight & how it compares to the base boss one. The package size should be about the same size, as I ordered mostly paints & a 6 playing card stand. Hmmmm I may have to check on that now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Remember thou, with Bones 6 shipping in the near future, shipping costs could easily go up in that time.

Guess what, USPS rates are going up again on July 9, 2023.  And UPS is raising some rates July 3rd. 

I guess I have a problem here: 

IMG_20230628_174418958.jpg.4c02716fb94c0a9f08d4eef1e4dbba01.jpg

Not a fan of the tabs on the sides of the bases.  I scored both sides with a hobby knife and tried to snap it off.  The plastic was bendy. Then it broke but not along the line, and it left a scar on the edge of the base.   I've always been a fan of nice clean casting.  Kind of disappointed here. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Guess what, USPS rates are going up again on July 9, 2023.  And UPS is raising some rates July 3rd. 

I guess I have a problem here: 

IMG_20230628_174418958.jpg.4c02716fb94c0a9f08d4eef1e4dbba01.jpg

Not a fan of the tabs on the sides of the bases.  I scored both sides with a hobby knife and tried to snap it off.  The plastic was bendy. Then it broke but not along the line, and it left a scar on the edge of the base.   I've always been a fan of nice clean casting.  Kind of disappointed here. 

Yeah I experimented with a couple of bases. One of the 25mm tabs was so bendy-flexi that it was bending the base and not having that nice, crisp break like in the sample videos. So I literally had to scalpel it off. 

Then I tried the next size up which would be a large-monster sized base and it snapped off into multiple shards that went flying. One such shard struck my face and I could easily see it becoming a projectile, shard injury to an eye. So they should consider posting a warning. The abrupt breakage damaged the bottom part of the base slightly, but not sufficient to matter to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine just arrived today! Nice job on quick turnaround, Reaper from shipment paid to door arrival. 

@Reaper_Jon and @Reaper Ron some feedback both positive and opportunity:

Things for improvement: 

1. The ziplocks were unexpected.  Feels a little funny opening ziplocks.  

2.  Having some kind of indicator or label to identify size and SKU of each bag to match the invoice would be helpful. 

3.  The sprue left on the bases are not fun.  It's not terrible, but it is tedious. Would have been nice if there was some kind of machine cutter on your side that could have just finished this off cleanly.

4.  Maybe add some kind of # or size imprinted on the underside of the bases and the terrain would be helpful for us organization weirdos. #guilty

5.  Please, please, please next time commit to your updates.  Even if you can't post an update to the degree you want to, even posting something like, "no major update this week.  Will have more on xx."  A recent company I have seen doing strong updates was Broken Anvil Miniatures.  I love Reaper, and your team is WONDERFUL about getting community support and giving exposure to them, but the holding to expectations is pretty loose. Simply button that up a bit and it helps us (me) your super fans stay enthused and helps bring up the next super fans too.

5.  Reaper Live segments or topics in the notes.  It's a lot to sit through on updates that may not apply to everyone.  If you gave a "here's what's on the agenda" that would be awesome.

Do again:

1.  Box was well packed and sized appropriately.

2. The terrain base is nice and low profile making the fit to a lipped base really nice.  Well done!

3.  Nice videos from Jon on how to deal with the sprue. That was helpful and gave me an idea of what to expect when I get mine. 

4.  KEEP DOING REAPER LIVE.  It's a fabulous means to get to your community.  I gave a suggestion above, but I hope you fully hear me saying this is an amazing thing you do that other companies do not.  It rocks and you improved the give away to keep viewers engaged. Nice job! 

Maybe for Base Boss 3...

1.  Ruins terrain that goes with the Greek odyssey theme. 

2.  Forest- like terrain

3.  A sea bottom or weeds and shells for the Brinewind pirates.

4.  Rolling sand dunes terrain (or water)

5.  Explosion from the center of the base.  Something that would look cool for a spell caster standing in the center or like a beast landing and causing a splash.

6.  Cavern terrain like conical stalagmites rising up. 

I know most of these are flat for a reason, but if you can push your 3d print siocast machine to a new level, these would be cool.

These little bases should save me time on building my own.  It'll streamline making an army or groups by having consistent bases. What I complain about with sprue cutting time lost is easily made up with in time saved on having them pre-made.  Thank you for creating this project. A lot changed since you started it and I'm certain those unexpected changes made for difficulties unforeseen.  I hope your next one goes smoother and receives big buy-in.  

Thank you.  Looking forward to posting my work with them. 

• Like 8

Okay, really not enjoying this "easy" cleaning process.  

The bases crack sometimes. I've done 16 and had 2 fault.

The top center is good. 

Bottom right just snapped. 

And bottom left had a chuck come off with the sprue.

20230628_215643.thumb.jpg.5eca07cf67d000dbc42ec8074dd01b29.jpg

I wanted to give benefit to Reaper this would save them time and wouldn't be hard on the consumer. I gotta say this was not a good idea.  I'm pretty good with mold lines and cleaning, but cleaning and keeping a round edge isn't exactly the easiest when you have to trim excess of 30% off the edge itself. 

Me no likey.

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

The way your base cracked, just snapping off is precisely what I experienced per my post above. The actual base didn’t crack, mercifully. However, the tab broke into several shards and one struck me in the face. Several shards flew onto the floor as well.

So, its definitely a problem.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Refresh my memory, were these 3D printed? Those are the kinds of issues I have if i'm not careful with 3D bases.

There are not. There wouldn't be a huge sprue attached to the base if was 3d printed. Tbh, I think there is more material in the giant sprue then there is the base itself. Pretty sure these are Siocast like BUSA minis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1