Reaper BaseBoss 2: Enthusiasm and Commentary!

Guindyloo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that I’m going to preemptively score a line between the base and the lip so that I get a clean removal per their instruction videos. I won’t begin using them until the current batch of figures on my desk are done so it’ll be a couple weeks. 

• Like 2

@Adrift I've done a similar process. I use snippers to cut in on both sides about 80%.  I thought twisting would help, but it seems to cause to much stress on the base.  Now i bend it down and away while keeping the base on a flat surface and the excess over an edge.  Comes off pretty clean, but the overall excess is still a pain in the "ash".  I decided to only do like 10 per style of base to ready them.  It's valuable wasted painting time for me to prep and clean more I don't immediately need.  Really really really really wish they didn't have that sprue still on them.  

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 4

So the best method I have found is to use a scalpel to do a light score along the connection point of the whale tail and the base.

One issue I find consistently is that the removal of the whale tail does do a little damage to the underside of the base…not visible per se but could really bother people with OCD stronger than my own.

What does bother my OCD is that there is a crease between the bottom and top of the base where the whale tail was connected. It can be easily filled with a little glue, paste, or other such material but it adds a step to be sure.

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 5

Okay, apparently there are TWO different gaming bases in 60mm and I have the ones that are 2mm to small on top, so my skull inserts are a slight bit too big (my fault not reaper's and I am too cheap and lazy to get the others), so i'll have to shave them down a bit. I did however have to go back to the kickstarter and see if I was doing something wrong, and from the pictures there I am not. I could have sworn that the base inserts were flush to the gaming base cavities. Apparently I was wrong, and even the ones on the kickstarter page stick up a bit from the base. A little disappointing, but it is what it is. I will get more skull inserts when they become available, as I do not believe I have any STL files that have skull inserts.

• Like 1

Here is one 80mm and two 60mm bases with skull inserts glued in:

321526099_reaperskullbases.thumb.jpg.ab7d775460b64fe6af3bbc33e2d72922.jpg

overall I am happy with them. 

I just went over to the campaign, and boy a bunch of people are complaining about clean up? Really, I thought that was part of the hobby? I do agree that they need better PR, and many hear know this isn't the first time I have brought it up or suggested that Reaper's core people wear too many hats and are spread thin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So I finally took out all the bases I got yesterday & again not that I had allot to go through, just $25 bucks worth of product. I was surprised to see the 1 inch bases were lipped. I mean I shouldn't be as this is a base-topper KS & these go together. I should have read that better, as I don't really use lipped bases.

Oh anther post reminded me I wanted to do a comparison test:

$25 dollar base boss order - shipping was like 15 to 16 dollars (priority shipping).

0.500 kg aka 1.10 lbs GSW order from the Netherlands - shipping was around 16 dollars.

Hmmmmm 🤔

• Like 2

Got mine 1 week after i paid shipping.  Ive assembled some of them with what i already had on hand for bases(i just bought the inserts).  Apparently i didnt have the bases for 2 of the sizes i had purchased.  My own fault for not paying attention.  Ill have to pick some up eventually

• Like 4