3D Resin Printer - What is needed to start?

If I was looking to get a resin 3D printer, what items are needed to get started?

From what I can see, I’d need to get:

- Resin printer (currently considering Elegoo Mars 3)

- Wash and cure station (currently considering Elegoo Mercury Plus 2 in 1 Washing and Curing Station V2.0) - not essential, but would make post-processing a lot easier so I consider it a definite buy

- Resin

- Isopropyl alcohol

- Nitrile gloves

- STLs to print

Is there anything else I need, or does that cover it?

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need some nippers or a Xacto blade to remove stubborn supports. Depending on the maker, the supports might just come right off, thou. If you can't find Iso alc, denatured alcohol works just as well. Since my eyes are getting old, I can't see things up close anymore, so magnification is nice when removing supports.

WnC station isn't essential, but yah it makes post clean up soooooo much easier & cleaner. Definitely get one of those.

Eventually, you'll need hard drive space for files!!! :lol:

Extra FEP sheets are handy to have on hand. Also, a funnel & paint filters are nice when you need to pour the resin back into the bottle after a fail or are changing out resin. Also, plastic razor blades are nice for print removal (thanks @Gadgetman! for that tip).

• Like 3

Extra FEP sheets are the big one I forgot. Definitely need those. Where do you buy extra FEP sheets from? Direct from the printer manufacturer?

Clippers and/or exacto knife I have. Funnel, filters and plastic scraper are good ones to remember.

I’ve got a NAS, so the hard drive space the STL models will take up on there are small compared to the hard drive space my media server takes up! :-D

A wash and clean station seems like a no brainer for me as it will make clean up a lot, lot easier. I want to muck around with toxic resin as little as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olaf the Stout said:

If I was looking to get a resin 3D printer, what items are needed to get started?

From what I can see, I’d need to get:

- Isopropyl alcohol

You can also go to the hardware store and buy a can of denatured alcohol.  It works just fine, but they add in a keytone that has a rather strong odor.

I’ve got a NAS, so the hard drive space the STL models will take up on there are small compared to the hard drive space my media server takes up! :-D

An individual figure isn't bad, but they do start to add up.  I think I'm over 500GB for the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auberon said:

You can also go to the hardware store and buy a can of denatured alcohol.  It works just fine, but they add in a keytone that has a rather strong odor.

An individual figure isn't bad, but they do start to add up.  I think I'm over 500GB for the year.

I'll try and get ipa, but that useful to know denatured alcohol/methylated spirits will also work.

As for the STLs, you must be added a lot of new ones! My media server is currently at around 20TB and growing, but I'll probably be upgrading that soon due to lack of space, so I'll keep my need of space for STLs in mind when I do.

• Like 2

I recommend watching a lot of videos on the subject on youtube.

Learned a lot about placing supports, settings and problems that way.

I clean a print in denatured alcohol then dunk it in warm water. ( not too hot, not boiling) that will help removing the supports.

You need a mask to protect yourself from resin vapors and always use those nitril gloves.

Dedicate knives/sidecutters etc especially for this and don't use them for anything else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Plastic Razor blades isn't for removing prints from the plate, but to remove failed prints from the FEP. Just round off the corners before use, or they'll tear open the FEP film.  

That's what I use em for. With the handle/holder that was included in the purchase it's perfect for me. Thou I did see on big River the other day they make longer versions (just with a smaller blade on the other side). I may give that a try someday.

• Like 3

+1 paper towels. 
I wear safety glasses while cleaning and breaking off supports. You don’t want a droplet or piece of cured resin in your eye.

“dirty” tool set (putty knife, xacto, nippers) I only touch these with gloves on.

A garbage can near your station.

“Welcome to the party, pal!”

• Like 3

On 11/14/2021 at 1:58 PM, Neatpete said:

+1 paper towels. 
I wear safety glasses while cleaning and breaking off supports. You don’t want a droplet or piece of cured resin in your eye.

“dirty” tool set (putty knife, xacto, nippers) I only touch these with gloves on.

A garbage can near your station.

“Welcome to the party, pal!”

Do you ever dunk your dirty tools in isopropyl alcohol, then leave them in the sun for a while to cure any resin that may be on them?

• Like 2

Do you ever dunk your dirty tools in isopropyl alcohol, then leave them in the sun for a while to cure any resin that may be on them?

I dunk them in methylated alcohol and wipe them off with paper towel. I don't let the resin cure on them because then you'll have to scrape it off.

• Like 2