Nativity!

Wife asked for this one as a Christmas gift.

I got it mid November.  I wanted to give it to her early, so it can be out as a decoration this year.

It’s 11 figures (including ox) which is roughly how many I paint a month. 

i also want to get lots of points from RCL. 
the plan is to finish the basic nativity set, and give that early, then rest of the box set under the tree, and finally a display base in January 

I added the Ox from wizkids, it’s mentioned in many versions - I may add more sheep for final display. image.thumb.jpg.bfc5fc48498600f10607646ece601a0f.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Need more work on Mary s back

RCL  - pc (Joseph) holiday (Jesus) monster (donkey) December pc (wise man), backstory (sheep?) diorama (without base) 2022 pageorama (decorative base + sheep?) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 13

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phase 1 is complete:  this is ready to be boxed and opened as a early Christmas gift, about the same time we put up a tree. 

Ox is from wizkids as the Ox and the Donkey  are specifically mentioned in some versions. 

they wont be mounted to this base - as it makes it harder to store flat and has no room for the other 5 figures. 

colors for the holy family were taken from a work by Rubens but I don't feel the "Rubensque" cherubs  were as necessary as he did.  

the wisemen colors / patterns will be taken from the same source.  I'm sure there is a lot of symbolism,  which I would rather copy than figure out. 

Nativity.thumb.jpg.23d9bf60f2746a57f50706a442d2476e.jpg

Jesus.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

clearly this need updating - I broke it into 2 gifts, one before christmas and the wisemen on a single base under the tree.

It currently has a third base for animals.  I double checked with my wife, and she thought 3 bases was was better than a single large diorama.  

A6F1EEE4-2468-49C2-8B22-47D327E17F44.jpeg

D358B4A3-74F2-434C-9151-3B9E4B1A98DD.jpeg

B853725B-6FA2-44C4-9579-8358B392E69B.jpeg

I should be finishing the basing today, unless I run out of the tea I’m using for straw. 
I bought some more sheep and they are going on the manger base.  My parents raise sheep, and 1 is not a flock. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

53 minutes ago, SotF said:

It might have been a better idea to split the shepherd and put him with the animals...that would also allow the various changes some people do with the Nativity over the season.

that makes a lot of sense.  Then you could also see the freehand on the back of the kneeling wiseman.  

none of the animals are pinned (unlike all humans). But the basing that I have done so far would need rework.    Hmm.

I knew that some versions have the wisemen arriving later than the Shepard.. but my wife didn’t remember/care so that’s only an issue for my peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, Evilhalfling said:

that makes a lot of sense.  Then you could also see the freehand on the back of the kneeling wiseman.  

none of the animals are pinned (unlike all humans). But the basing that I have done so far would need rework.    Hmm.

I knew that some versions have the wisemen arriving later than the Shepard.. but my wife didn’t remember/care so that’s only an issue for my peace of mind. 

Even in the Bible, they show up a while later. Shepherds were the night of, the magi showed up later (which explains the age range of Herrod's "kill the babies" thing).

Traditionally, their arrival is celebrated January 6th (Little Christmas), though the main Nativity scenes show them all at the same time for display purposes...but many places bring them out later to require less display space.

• Like 2

Just finished this off.  I’m now aware that the wisemen showed up at a house, per my copy of Matthew 2:10.  the Shepards and manger are from Luke 2:7 But oh well. It’s close enough.  

We both converted to Unitarianism but my wife has always wanted more Christ in Christmas, and misses her family’s more traditional beliefs around the holidays. 

it’s never going to fit back in the case now, but it is a lot sturdier.  This combo also gives us more display options.  

6E600690-358A-4873-9D2E-387794DFEFC2.jpeg

• Like 7