• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 20

Topic Adult Beverages, Pick One:

Name one you have never tried, or, one you usually order, or, one you never will try. 

We drank a bit at university. Between the store that let you "build your own six pack" and a roommate that thought he might be a bartender I've tried most of the standard beers and mixes. I'm sure there were some in there worth having a second time, if only I could remember what they were...

I'm usually driving back when I'm out so I usually order very little.

Never?  I guess I'll find out when someone makes the offer and I turn it down.

• Like 6

Never tried a Manhattan. I usually order Dark Beer, Cider, or Bourbon. I'm sure there are a lot I will never try. Probably absinthe.  I can say I will never again have an old fashioned. 

I'm reading a lot of books right now.

Eye of the World - Robert Jordan (re-read)

Leviathan Wakes - James SA Corey (re-read)

Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson 

Ride the Rap - Elmore Leonard

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

What book(s) are you currently reading? 

Well, I’m almost between books.  I finished a reread of Rosemary Sutcliff’s The Lantern Bearers, which takes place in post-Roman Britain from ~450 to ~470CE yesterday.  Given that, I picked up a new (to me) non-fiction book off my stack, Guy Halsall’s Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West 376-568.  It’s pretty dense and academic, though, so finishing it is by no means a certainty. I am thinking that my January project might be to expand my miniatures collection for playing Dux Bellorum (Osprey, Dan Mersey), a game of post-Roman British warfare.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

I've got two up on deck for the holidays, as I just finished Iain Bank's Inversions (which was great). One is the next Banks book in the Culture series, the other is the new Modesitt. I've backed way off fiction, so it's nice to be in a bit of a groove there currently.

For nonfic, the Munsell Student book and a Robert Griffing at book are tableside right now. I also just got in a book of Jeffrey Watts' female quicksketch. My newest crop of Repin Academy texts are stuck in the Netherlands for the last 2 months 😕 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

The only thing I've been giving any attention to recently is the Stargrave rulebook.  I've got a stack of sci-fi, historical fiction and other titles at hand, but haven't been able to sit and ignore the world for hours at a time lately.  

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

I am not currently reading anything.

My brain has a hell of a hard time taking time off to read during day time. And if I read before bed, either I'm too tired to focus or my brain gets overstimulated and I can't fall asleep.

Quite annoying really as I used to read much more.

• Like 7

On 12/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, TGP said:

DEC 3

Emergency preparations: do you practice for emergencies?

I don;t. Used to at work, but haven't been to the office except for one day in the last... (20?) months.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:15 AM, TGP said:

DEC 4
Who here has ever been in a storm at sea; what is the foulest storm you’ve been in?

Not at sea.

Hurricanes, nor'easters, derechos 

On 12/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, TGP said:

DEC 5

Who here has ever been flying at night?

Me

On 12/6/2021 at 7:19 AM, TGP said:

DEC 6

Which do you like better Dawn or Sunset? Have you ever seen either from the air?

Sunset, and I've seen both from the air.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:04 PM, TGP said:

DEC 8

What is the worst bungle you were ever responsible for?

Uff.... I once scheduled a big important meeting, and forgot to let half the people who needed to be there when it was.

On 12/9/2021 at 5:27 AM, TGP said:

DEC 9

What is a Lucky Break that has happened to you recently?

The covid test came back negative!

On 12/10/2021 at 10:41 AM, TGP said:

DEC 10

Who here has ignored a significant opportunity, …let something pass, …missed out on a chance?

Oh yeah...

On 12/13/2021 at 6:04 PM, TGP said:

DEC 13

In your lifetime how many wars has your country been embroiled / involved in?

All of them.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:37 PM, TGP said:

DEC 14

If facebook just went away, ceased, stopped, and never came back up; would you be OK with that ~OR~ lost without the fb?

I'd miss Messenger.

• Like 7

On 12/16/2021 at 7:55 AM, TGP said:

DEC 16

What seasonal activities are you enjoying or planning on enjoying shortly ?

On 12/17/2021 at 12:48 PM, TGP said:

DEC 17

Do you own a Christmas Sweater? Is it ugly? Do you call it a jumper? (If you do own one a certain Wolf suggests posting a picture of it in the Randomness Thread. )

On 12/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, TGP said:

DEC 18 — DEC 19

WEEKEND QUESTION (s)

Have you ever tapped remove, or even unfriended someone, on facebook for no reason other than you found their new profile picture to be irksome? 

Do you play any fb games?  If those still exist?

If you are not using fb (well done!) what would it have to change before you would join it?

No

No

n/a

On 12/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, TGP said:

DEC 20

Topic Adult Beverages, Pick One:

Name one you have never tried, or, one you usually order, or, one you never will try. 

Cocktails.

Beer, something dark and not hoppy. If that's not an option, a good whiskey.

Most cocktails

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

Currently between books. Thinking about downloading Dickens's Christmas Carol. I don't think I've ever actually read it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

Robert Jordan - The Dragon Reborn (re-read)

Bear Ross - Junction World Book 2: Breakthrough

James SA Corey - Persepolis Rising

Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson - The Boys Omnibus Vol 4

Ivan Sorensen - Weasel-Tech: High Octane Cybernetic Warfare

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 21

Nothing. I just finished A Stranger In Town  by Kelly Armstrong. 

It's the most current book in the Rockton series; kind of a murder/mystery  series.

I haven't decided what to read next. 

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.