TGP

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

Emergency preparations: do you practice for emergencies?

I was trying to think about this question seriously, but then I got stuck on the mental image of some guy with a stopwatch, a clipboard, and a golf visor yelling at his family that the house is on fire while they all look at him like he's insane.  The dog brings him a ball because all the excitement makes him think it's playtime.

• Haha 11

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

The occasional fire drill at the office. And when I still worked up north, we had mandatory First Aid classes to refresh every two years.

Last summer I had to call the firemen for what ultimately was a false alarm in our apartment building. Real heavy smoke with the smoke detectors and fire alarm going off. But just smoking oil in a tenants kitchen. Still, I followed the usual steps. Kept calm. 911. Make sure everyone is out. Wait for emergency workers to give the OK to go back inside.

Aside from that. I have a first aid kit at home. Enough food and beverages drink for several days. Warm clothes. Etc.

I... know how to survive without the internet or cell service.

• Like 9

On 12/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, TGP said:

DEC 2

Christmas decor: …Are you tired of seeing it yet? About how long have the stores near you been festooned with forests of little trees? Do you have a tree up of your own?

I now can notice the trees.  Before Thanksgiving (esp before Halloween) I stop my ears to the music and divert my eyes from decorations.

We put up decorations late and keep them up longer.

56 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

Not since I retired.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

Not at home, but we do at work. All the basic stuff like tornado and fire drills. But I also keep up on my CPR and boat safety training - which is kind of like practicing an emergency. Fun fact (or maybe not so fun if you live in my state) but I used to have a role in our FEMA disaster response organizational chart. It was a tiny role to be certain, but still a role nonetheless. In the event of some sort of hazardous or toxic material or waste release I was supposed to help analyze data on waste shipments to determine what was released and how bad it could be. Thankfully, I never had to do anything with that.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

At work we had fire drills and the like.  I was trained on CPR through the office.  Hasn't been renewed due to, you know, all the everything.  If/when we get back to the office I expect they will be running courses to get people re-certified.

At home we don't, but I did start the generator just the other week to make sure it was good, just in case.  We grew up in the country in a province that was known for multiday power outages so we are good on all of that. We have enough food to last a good long while and so on.  For fire at night or anything like that I know I'm going to be the one waking everyone else (wife and kid could both sleep through just about anything).  I've been trained in basic fire procedures from my marshals training,  so that helps.

At the track we don't practice, other than occasionally doing some fire practice when bottles need to be replaced anyway, but I tend to run through worst case scenarios on a regular basis, and we have enough minor incidents that when something big happens we are all generally well prepped for dealing with it, 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 3

I used to be an EMR with St John Ambulance, and we did practices a couple times a month. Since covid hit, I did my recert in June, but I haven't been at any duties. In the spring, we get the throwbag and the 5 gallon pail of water out and practice throwbagging. (The bucket of water weighs the bag down so it throws farther.) We are arranging a swiftwater rescue and wilderness first aid for the canoe club this spring, so I will probably do the course too. I should take my doggo for a walk out to the trees. Now there is snow on the ground, we can try to light a fire with the flint and steel without worrying about burning down the countryside.  

• Like 7