Getting to Know You, DECEMBER** 2021 Edition

TGP

10 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 4
Who here has ever been in a storm at sea; what is the foulest storm you’ve been in?

At sea?  Nope. 

Our weather is generally fairly moderate compared to a lot of places.  Worst were likely Juan and White Juan.

White Juan was probably worse, due to the time of year. That and dealing with a meter of snow falling in a day.

• Like 9

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 4
Who here has ever been in a storm at sea; what is the foulest storm you’ve been in?

I'm in the middle of the prairies, so if we've got a sea storm here I suspect we haveuch bigger things to worry about... 

Being out with a tornado nearby sure wasn't a fun day at work, gawds that hail was deafening against my Nissan NV1500.  Glad I managed to limp to a nearby mall and hide in the delivery driver loading dock, because if I was being stuck somewhere it was a) out of said weather and b) somewhere I could grab supper... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 4

I’ve never been in a storm at sea. I think the most intense storm I’ve been in was about 4 years ago, it came on really quick with high winds and hail. It knocked out power all over the puget sound, knocked down thousands of trees. And it only lasted about 15 minutes.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I lived in Massachusetts during the Blizzard of 1978, that was a pretty big deal.

I'm also old enough to remember the blizzard of '78... I remember my father being stuck at work for three days because the entire state of CT had been closed down.

Out on the water, I've been on a 30-ft. fishing boat when we were getting huge winds and 9-ft waves... Picked the wrong damn day to take it out for a test run after a retrofit - that storm came out of nowhere and was gone again in under an hour. That was a fun little rollercoaster.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I'm also old enough to remember the blizzard of '78... I remember my father being stuck at work for three days because the entire state of CT had been closed down.

Out on the water, I've been on a 30-ft. fishing boat when we were getting huge winds and 9-ft waves... Picked the wrong damn day to take it out for a test run after a retrofit - that storm came out of nowhere and was gone again in under an hour. That was a fun little rollercoaster.

I am not old enough to remember it, but the entire state of Rhode island will not stop talking about it when there is even a tiny amount of snow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

19 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Where did you go to waste 3 solid months?

Just about every square inch of the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, and at least part of the Indian Ocean (I'm not sure where the Arabian Sea becomes the Indian Ocean).

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I am not old enough to remember it, but the entire state of Rhode island will not stop talking about it when there is even a tiny amount of snow. 

Well, Rhode Island is a tiny state, so even a tiny bit of snow is more than enough for them.::P:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Just about every square inch of the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Arabian Sea, Persian Gulf, and at least part of the Indian Ocean (I'm not sure where the Arabian Sea becomes the Indian Ocean).

Well, Rhode Island is a tiny state, so even a tiny bit of snow is more than enough for them.::P:

they also don't believe in doing snow right

• Like 7

On 12/4/2021 at 4:15 AM, TGP said:

DEC 4

At sea? No. On a sea sized lake? Yes. When I was younger my dad, sister and I drove up to Copper Harbor, Michigan and rented a 30 foot charter boat to take us out to Manitou Island in Lake Superior to see the lighthouse my grandpa served in for several years after getting out of the navy. On the way out, about a 2 hour trip, the lake was calm and the sun was shining, we got to the island and started exploring and after about an hour the lighthouse horn started going off and the sky began getting pretty dark. The owner of the charter boat, an old guy who went by the name of Captain Charlie, came and found us and said we needed to go. On the way back a storm hit us and the lake went from glassy to gigantic waves in a matter of minutes. The waves were a bit bigger than the boat and the first one would lift the bow out of the water and the next one would crash down over the top of it. I remember seeing one of those giant ore freighters you get up on Superior rocking side to side further out in the lake and thinking that we were probably less safe than Captain Charlie was trying to tell us we were. When we got back to the harbor you could no longer see the buoys marking the safe pass (whatever nautical term that would be called) into the marina. Thankfully Charlie had been in boats up there his entire life so he got us in no problems. But even a young Thoramel realized just how dumb of an idea being out in that weather was. The next morning we went to breakfast at some little local joint (Copper Harbor being really small everyone knows everyone else's business) where we heard a couple of guys saying something to the effect of "Did you hear that idiot Charlie took some tourists on the lake yesterday during that storm? I doubt they'll be back on a boat any time soon." That may not have been the biggest, or worst, storm I've been in... but it was certainly the most terrifying.

My dad's version of that story gets a little worse every time he retells it to the point that by now I'm pretty certain his version includes Neptune personally trying to sink our little boat. My sister tells that story much differently, mainly because her perspective was face down in a bucket from the moment the first wave showed up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

Who here has ever been flying at night?

Raises hand.

I guess I'm young at heart as I enjoy looking out the window & down at the world below. Just seeing things lit by street lights or parking lights is neat to see. Love seeing stuff that you only see in pictures & such. Example was a couple years ago, left DFW after ReaperCon on Monday morning (around 5 or 6) & everything was still lit up & I got to see "Jerry's World aka AT&T Stadium lit up, it was neat to see.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

Many times.  The longest was flying back from Hawaii in the last seat of the jet that would not recline.  Started at sundown and landed in Washington DC about sunup.  Then had to wait to fly into Cleveland.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

A number of times, to Europe and Asia. Too many US flights that started during the morning and got us home 8 or 12 or 24 hours later than expected.  A few nights camped in the airport terminal.... 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

That's usually how we flew.  Either it's cheaper, gets you to your destination at a more convenient to plans time, or some other reason.  There's nothing quite like chasing a sunrise or sunset in a plane!

• Like 7