Getting to Know You, DECEMBER** 2021 Edition

TGP

As y’all might have noticed this weekend is simply a question a day, no quests or multi day themes. Might do that next weekend. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:15 AM, TGP said:

DEC 4
Who here has ever been in a storm at sea;

I have not experienced one. The closest was a spoiled family vacation where the Gulf of Mexico was making a half-hearted attempt to climb over the Galveston sea wall, but yours truly was on a road, in a car, behind that sea wall, …so I don’t think it counts. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:15 AM, TGP said:

…what is the foulest storm you’ve been in?

Either that time the back yard flooded (my dad had to bash a panel out of a fence to release the water), that day at an SCA encampment somewhere near San Angelo when tents started behaving like tumbleweeds, or the one when I was 14, in school, in the middle of the day but the storm was so intense it looked like night outside (you could only see when a bolt of lightning flashed) because that thundercloud was that low to the ground and dense. 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

Who here has ever been flying at night?

Only once, it was not a fixed wing aircraft, and it only lasted 5 minutes or so.

• Like 7

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 5

Who here has ever been flying at night?

Many, many times. And I can tell you that airports at night are extremely boring and lousy places to nap in.

Having worked in remote northern mines only accessible by plane or boat, I flew to work on a weekly basis for three years. Generally, during the day, but before I moved closer, I flew many times during the night.

Other times was when traveling abroad. Specifically China and Japan. Considering flight lengths of 20-22 hours (including layovers), you'd have at least one night in the air.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Which do you like better Dawn or Sunset? Have you ever seen either from the air?

I am more a dawn than sunset fan. When I was working third (graveyard) shift I would time my final cigarette break to coincide with sunrise. It was the highpoint of the day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Which do you like better Dawn or Sunset? Have you ever seen either from the air?

While Dawn usually means my work day is almost over, I'm gonna have to say Sunset & yes I've seen both from the air, more often then naught, dawn as I leave Boise airport before dawn, when heading down & coming back from ReaperCon each time I've gone down.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

I've seen both from the Air.

I like both, but when we were on vacation at Tenerife we had dinner in a restaurant with a seaview, we saw the sun set in the Ocean, that was a beautiful sight.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Dawn. I have seen both from the air.  The answer to yesterday's question recalls the time I did both on one flight. Although on two different legs of the flight.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Very happy with both. Perhaps dawn wins out as it PROBABLY means that I get to enjoy at least one more day.

Seen both from the air, in fact I once saw 2 sunsets in a row, with no sunrise in between. (Going westward on Concorde.)

Saw "the Green Flash" during one spectacular sunset in the Caribbean.

• Like 8