Getting to Know You, DECEMBER** 2021 Edition

TGP

2 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Which do you like better Dawn or Sunset? Have you ever seen either from the air?

I like the quiet stillness of dawn. And there are very lovely sunset colours. Not much of fan of driving with the low sun shining directly in my face.

I've technically seen both from the air. But my flight path or seat often wasn't properly oriented to get a good view of it. Besides, with the sunlight being so strong at altitude, we would close the window blinds as it bothers sleeping passengers or any movie viewing (at least on the tiny screens of Air Canada flights).

• Like 6

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Which do you like better Dawn or Sunset? Have you ever seen either from the air?

I prefer sunset.  Big bad ball of burning light goes away, stars come out to play. 

I've seen both from the air, and both are equally beautiful at FL300-350, but I'd argue the sun setting as you fly west over the Rocky Mountains is probably my favourite of the bunch. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, TGP said:

that time the back yard flooded (my dad had to bash a panel out of a fence to release the water)

That reminds me of a place I worked at that sat near a river. They had a chain link fence around the parking lots and the whole lot got flooded under several feet of water one time. After a few days the river receded back to its banks. But for several days fish had been swimming around the area and getting stuck in the fence. So we had a fence full of fish baking in the sun until someone got around to cleaning it up a couple of days later. Not a good smell.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:35 PM, TGP said:

DEC 5

Who here has ever been flying at night?

Yes. A few times.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

They're both quite nice. But I think I prefer sunsets because that means the day is over and it's time to relax. Though I usually prefer aisle seats when I fly I have been at the window a couple of times during both sunrise and sunset. So yes.

• Like 7

On 12/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, TGP said:

DEC 5

I think it was dark when I landed once.  Not much of a flyer.

7 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Dawn blinds me on the way into work a few months out of the year.  Sunset never does -> winner.

Per Dec 5, it was definitely light when that flight started, so the sun would have set while I was in the air.

• Like 7

On 12/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, TGP said:

DEC 5

When I was 16ish we went to Hawaii.  The 7 hour flight to Chicago left at just after midnight.  I can't sleep in moving vehicles, so I was up for the duration.
The Rockies were gorgeous, with a clear sky and lots of moonlight, and lots of fresh snow.

14 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 6

Dawn in the country is so peaceful and still.

I've seen both from the air. Flying home from Calgary I once got to see the sun rise twice.  It rose just before our decent into Toronto, where it was still dark, and then it rose again as we were taking off toward Halifax.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

DEC 7

What is the best -or- worst surprise (pick one or the other) that ever happened to you?

I have had a fair number of surprises in my life. Some were good & some were bad. The last really good one was having Son Matt call me to ask if I would move into the new house he & his Melissa had bought. I couldn't imagine why they would want me; I've been trying to disassociated myself from me for years.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 7

What is the best -or- worst surprise (pick one or the other) that ever happened to you?

I have an answer that fits both.

I only have one niece/goddaughter, I haven't seen her since her 13th birthday in early March 2020 (right before all the lock downs).

From the pictures I've seen in the past two years, she very much hit puberty.

So on one hand, my niece is blossoming into a lovely young lady. On the other hand, my little baby girl is gone for ever and I missed it!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

DEC 7

Blindly choosing a career after making an enormous foul up of all my school exams. Turning out to be surprisingly good at the choice I had hastily made.

• Like 7