Do lacquer based paints suffer freezing affects like acrylics?

haldir

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lacquer based paints might start freezing at -4 Fahrenheit. That's the point the oil paints can start to freeze. I can't find anything specific to lacquer but it is another form of oil paint. With the weather we have been having I don't think freezing is going to be an issue for a while yet.

@haldiryou and i have chatted about hot weather on our respective areas.  I would say if it's paint, go for it.   If it's lacquor, which is the last thing you put on after you've painted and love the piece to protect it.  If there's a chance of it failing, I'd skip the risk.  Wait until it warms up and lacquor out later (if you can hold out).

At least with paint you can see if it's not good while using it. With lacquor it's the last thing to go on and could ruin all your work.  

My two cents: wait.  Weather is so unpredictable right now and if it's going to port, there's no way to know what weather it's going to get. 

17 hours ago, R2ED said:

@haldiryou and i have chatted about hot weather on our respective areas.  I would say if it's paint, go for it.   If it's lacquor, which is the last thing you put on after you've painted and love the piece to protect it.

This sounds like you're talking about varnish or top coat, which can be acrylic, lacquer, or enamel based. 

Lacquer is a type of paint known for its oh so even and smooth coats (especially when used with Mr Hobby levelling thinner). 

Edited by WhiteWulfe

There are a fair number of lacquer based paints out there; Mr.Hobby C-series (Mr.Color), Alclad II, Mr.Paint, Gaianotes, SMS, Tamiya Lacquers (also their spray paints) and Zero Paints. I have also heard rumors that the Floquil Lacquer based railroad colors may be coming back into production.

I think you are going to be fine order these even with the slow shipping we are experiencing these days, -4 F is pretty darn cold.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it. Yes, these aren't clearcoats but color paints from various paint makers out there. Most of these I'm probably ordering from Europe or whatnot from companies like Gravity Colors & maybe Zero Paints, but I may also order from a company out of Salt Lake City called Scalefinishes. Now, I may end up ordering clearcoats to go on top of those, but for the most part colors for indoor (aka airbrushing) painting this winter season.

• Like 1