Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I didnt realize it was a trick.  you cut a 1 inch hole in the watermelon.  you plug a bottle of vodka (vanilla or pineapple flavored were favorites but straight works just as well) roll the watermelon until the bottle is vertical and wait about 15 minutes for the bottle to drain into the watermelon.  A big watermelon can take up to a gallon that way.  It is sort of fun watching the watermelon drink the bottle and I have noticed (in the past) that the seeded watermelons take more booze than the unseeded variety.  Favorite summer party melon.  just dont forget to have a separate one for the kids!

I've also seen in done (quite tastily) with rum.  If you're in to rum.

• Like 6

• Replies 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....Oof, just found out my favourite butcher shop closed last month due to a variety of factors. 

...I was going to drop by there today to say hi, have a sandwich, and pick up a few things now that I have a bus pass again... 

• Sad 14

Really sucks how hard it is to find a good butcher these days.  big grocery store (and megastore) butchers seldom have the level of care and service a good butcher should have. 

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I thought that was Brutus for a minute. My sister's rotten beagle has taught my German Shepherd to get on the couch. I bought a queen sized bed as much for my cat as for me. Milo used to sit on the dog carrier in front of the window, but since Lilly hasn't slept in the dog box for over a year, we got rid of it and bought a bigger bed. Anyone who has a cat knows they are fully capable of taking up the same amount of volume as a standard sized human. That squishing into a cardboard box thing is totally a ruse. 

image.png.9d541a45643986e4e3fb568ba9120f46.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Really sucks how hard it is to find a good butcher these days.  big grocery store (and megastore) butchers seldom have the level of care and service a good butcher should have. 

Yup.  There are others in town, but DeRose was so good, family owned, and I was on first name basis with everyone.  They also had really good sandwiches, and it was nice if you were running late and skipped breakfast to be able to pop in there after the first stop and get a nice, filling breakfast that was tasty.  That and the brisket sandwich.... 

They did offer delivery, but it was a minimum order of $100, which makes it difficult when you're on EI and also only have a small apartment fridge to put everything into. 

• Like 7

Questions from left field:

I don't suppose anyone can tell me why so many buildings in Hiroshima have these tower like portions on top?
image.thumb.png.ee846eb6915eb8442185efdd5098e7f3.png

I've seen tons of buildings with equipment "sheds" on top in the US, Australia and Canada, but those are generally only one story.  Many of the buildings I'm seeing on my Google Streets tour of Hiroshima have these two and three story "towers" on top. 

Edit/merge:

DOH!

If I had just strolled down the street a bit more, I would have answered my own question. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8dc824edaa4aec00dd524afa72e55f71.png

Elevators. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 13

Mildly annoyed.

A bird got into the building at work this morning. We lost track of it for awhile, but then a couple hours later I fould it hopping around inside my freight elevator. It quite obviously had a busted wing, and seemed to be in shock. I managed to pick it up, and since the windows on the upper floors don't open, had to walk down three flights of stairs to release it outside. However, it was pretty apparent that the bird was too weak to survive (and wouldn't have lived long out in the wild with a broken wing anyway), so I had to put it down. I snapped its neck.

I was a little bit bummed out about it, but then one of the women in the production dept, who I generally get along with, spent the rest of the day glaring at me and calling me a murderer...  :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Perhaps something similar to this?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/274209/boozy-fruit-salad/

GEM

8 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I didnt realize it was a trick.  you cut a 1 inch hole in the watermelon.  you plug a bottle of vodka (vanilla or pineapple flavored were favorites but straight works just as well) roll the watermelon until the bottle is vertical and wait about 15 minutes for the bottle to drain into the watermelon.  A big watermelon can take up to a gallon that way.  It is sort of fun watching the watermelon drink the bottle and I have noticed (in the past) that the seeded watermelons take more booze than the unseeded variety.  Favorite summer party melon.  just dont forget to have a separate one for the kids!

What we used to do is slice a piece off the side of the watermelon, scoop it all out, make fruit salad with the pieces, and then put it all back in the melon shell, add alcohol and let it sit in the fridge overnight...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Mildly annoyed.

A bird got into the building at work this morning. We lost track of it for awhile, but then a couple hours later I fould it hopping around inside my freight elevator. It quite obviously had a busted wing, and seemed to be in shock. I managed to pick it up, and since the windows on the upper floors don't open, had to walk down three flights of stairs to release it outside. However, it was pretty apparent that the bird was too weak to survive (and wouldn't have lived long out in the wild with a broken wing anyway), so I had to put it down. I snapped its neck.

I was a little bit bummed out about it, but then one of the women in the production dept, who I generally get along with, spent the rest of the day glaring at me and calling me a murderer...  :rolleyes:

Rarely is the right thing to do the easy thing to do.

• Like 12

On 7/6/2021 at 7:03 AM, Cranky Dog said:

[Notices piles of empty Minwax cans behind Chaoswolf's shed]

It counts, I guess.

Edit: AUGH!!! He said "organized", not "painted". My stupid uncaffeinated morning brain strikes again.

The edit makes it even funnier. ::D:

On 7/6/2021 at 7:19 AM, Pegazus said:

Does having all of the B1-4 stuff in containers or up on a shelf count as organized? Said containers may be sitting next to a painting desk. Or are we putting them into foam cases organizationally?

What I meant was out of the boxes they came in, and into various plastic storage containers, roughly sorted by race/type.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Corsair said:

M.E.O.W. is prepared for WOOF treachery...

cat watch.jpg

> walks by, idly playing with a firing pin< :devil:

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

STEP ONE

Dunk Chunks of Watermelon into Rum

STEP TWO

Shake it all about

STEP THREE

Remove Watermelon

STEP FOUR

Drink the Rum.

OPTIONAL:

SKIP STEP ONE to THREE, Proceed immediately with STEP FOUR.

Seems about right. ::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I've been trying to write this blog for like 2 weeks and I'm not very far in. I've been staring at a mostly blank page for like 20 minutes at this point. I have just had no energy or motivation as of late. The fluctuating weather doesn't help either by giving me migraines. Overall, this has made me pretty grumpy and not always pleasant to be around.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Welcome to Burger Thug, can I break your order?

Would you like to try one of our new Your ChoiceTM specials?

For $4 you can have a Double Bacon ThugburgerTM, a small fry, and a small drink,

Or

You can have a Knuckle SandwichTM .

Your ChoiceTM .

The Auld Grump

12 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

It may say something that the first time I made that, I used Everclear....

What it has to say is misleading though - I was a tee totaller, at the time.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 8