Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

10 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

I've also seen in done (quite tastily) with rum.  If you're in to rum.

Like Admiral Nelson!

Not really, though.  I just wanted to say that.

[sings]So we'll roll the old chariot along...[/sings]

• Like 3

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Worst part is that the thieves probably don't realise what they got and such memorabilia may end up dumped somewhere.

I simply hate criminals..

I had a stack of games stollen from my car boot several years ago. Cops gave me a call a couple of days later to say they'd found them. I thought they were all there until a couple of weeks later when I went to play one...

They had opened up the tube for Zombie Dice, pulled out another game I'd stored inside it, taken the dice, put back the other game, then closed it back up...

• Sad 9

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I've been trying to write this blog for like 2 weeks and I'm not very far in. I've been staring at a mostly blank page for like 20 minutes at this point. I have just had no energy or motivation as of late. The fluctuating weather doesn't help either by giving me migraines. Overall, this has made me pretty grumpy and not always pleasant to be around.

I agree the weather has been oppressive lately.  We don't need any more rain, but we keep getting cold fronts that rain just enough to make it even more humid than it already is.  High humidity makes nearly everyone feel tired and sick.  I'm finding it hard to get anything done between ~noon and sunset. 

What are you blogging about? What have you worked on lately? What are your plans? What would you rather be doing? Are you looking forward to anything this summer? (don't have to answer, just questions to think about)

I'm trying to figure out how to sneak a chocolate cake past my husband this weekend. His birthday is soon. This "work from home" stuff makes planning difficult.  How am I supposed to hide stuff when he's always home! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Huh - I just found out from Mercedes Lackey that it is actually pretty common for rescue corvids, like Crazy Crow, to become attention hogs.

Crazy Crow is normal!

They adjust, they adapt, and they remember.

Somehow, that makes me happy.

The Auld Grump

That's right, Crazy Crow isn't weird. He's as normal as you are. :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

That's right, Crazy Crow isn't weird. He's as normal as you are. :poke:

The thing that's neat is that it's pretty much only corvids that commonly display this behavior, Crows, ravens, etc..

I also found out that vultures are one of the most affectionate of raptors, and adapt well to humans - and are much, much smarter than hawks, eagles, or owls. Not much good as hunting birds though. Wrong instincts, which is also why they are more affectionate.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

It may say something that the first time I made that, I used Everclear....

What it has to say is misleading though - I was a tee totaller, at the time.

The Auld Grump

That may be one of the few "safe" uses of everclear. Should be enough water in a watermelon to keep it from becoming sweet flavourful alcohol poisoning. I uh, I don't do Everclear anymore....for reasons...

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

However, it was pretty apparent that the bird was too weak to survive (and wouldn't have lived long out in the wild with a broken wing anyway), so I had to put it down. I snapped its neck.

You guys don't have wild animal/bird rescue agencies there?  I've saved a few peregrine falcons this way.  One of them was being harassed by geese of all things... 

• Like 5

The following things happened on today's date, July 8th:

• 1497 – Vasco da Gama set sail on the first direct European voyage to India.

• 1947 – Reports were broadcast that a UFO crash-landed in Roswell, New Mexico, in what became known as the Roswell UFO incident.

• 2011 – Space Shuttle Atlantis was launched in the final mission of the U.S. Space Shuttle program.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You guys don't have wild animal/bird rescue agencies there?  I've saved a few peregrine falcons this way.  One of them was being harassed by geese of all things... 

I knew that geese were broccoliheads, but this is just one more data point supporting that conclusion.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Huh - I just found out from Mercedes Lackey that it is actually pretty common for rescue corvids, like Crazy Crow, to become attention hogs.

Crazy Crow is normal!

They adjust, they adapt, and they remember.

Somehow, that makes me happy.

The Auld Grump

PXL_20210708_114937783~2.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Short workweeks always screw me up. It's Thursday, which means it's getting close to the weekend, but it doesn't feel like it should be Thursday.

Same here.  Today feels like Tuesday to me. 

I've been dealing with a fun one the last couple of weeks.  

Almost two years ago, the distributor upgraded the software at a site that was originally built back in 1999, but had had a few upgrades since then.   In this particular upgrade, a change was made to the way certain reports balances are calculated, to make running them more intuitive and useful.  To get the full benefit of this change, a few new settings have to be properly set. 

About three months ago, the site brings to our attention that they're having problems with these reports, and I realize the settings never got properly set.  I fix everything, and think that's the end of it. 

NOPE. 

About two weeks ago, the distributor starts passing on messages to me from the site - according to them, the balances are still never right, and they're worse since I made the setting changes. According to all my data, the balances are just fine. 

Turns out there are two separate issues here.   One is that the site is trying to do things the old, difficult, unintuitive way which requires doing multiple steps before running the report, and another step afterwards, instead of the new way, which is to just run the report.  The second issue is that the site person running these reports barely speaks english, and I don't speak their language at all.  The distributor tech does speak a little bit of their language, so he's been operating as an interpreter, but getting the point across that things were made simpler has been difficult to do. 

Never has "No, we made it easier" been so hard to get across. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Same here.  Today feels like Tuesday to me. 

I've been dealing with a fun one the last couple of weeks.  

Almost two years ago, the distributor upgraded the software at a site that was originally built back in 1999, but had had a few upgrades since then.   In this particular upgrade, a change was made to the way certain reports balances are calculated, to make running them more intuitive and useful.  To get the full benefit of this change, a few new settings have to be properly set. 

About three months ago, the site brings to our attention that they're having problems with these reports, and I realize the settings never got properly set.  I fix everything, and think that's the end of it. 

NOPE. 

About two weeks ago, the distributor starts passing on messages to me from the site - according to them, the balances are still never right, and they're worse since I made the setting changes. According to all my data, the balances are just fine. 

Turns out there are two separate issues here.   One is that the site is trying to do things the old, difficult, unintuitive way which requires doing multiple steps before running the report, and another step afterwards, instead of the new way, which is to just run the report.  The second issue is that the site person running these reports barely speaks english, and I don't speak their language at all.  The distributor tech does speak a little bit of their language, so he's been operating as an interpreter, but getting the point across that things were made simpler has been difficult to do. 

Never has "No, we made it easier" been so hard to get across. 

Sounds like this is an opportunity to write/initiate a new policy:  All support services are provided in English.  It is the responsibility of the site owner/operator to provide for any translation services for non-english literate personnel.

Note that I specified literate, not just a rudimentary ability to communicate in english.

If you are dealing with the sort of situation I suspect, the mind of the barely able to communicate person has "technology" in the same mental box as "magic" so any change in the "ritual" that invokes the report requires the learning of a new "spell".

Good Luck.

GEM

• Like 4