Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

32 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like this is an opportunity to write/initiate a new policy:  All support services are provided in English.  It is the responsibility of the site owner/operator to provide for any translation services for non-english literate personnel.

Note that I specified literate, not just a rudimentary ability to communicate in english.

If you are dealing with the sort of situation I suspect, the mind of the barely able to communicate person has "technology" in the same mental box as "magic" so any change in the "ritual" that invokes the report requires the learning of a new "spell".

Good Luck.

GEM

That is company policy. Well, English and French, since the company is Canadian, and has customers in Quebec. 

Interesting observation about the 'ritual' aspect.  I need to bring that up to engineering, since it likely applies to more than our non-english speaking customers. 

• Like 4

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That is company policy. Well, English and French, since the company is Canadian, and has customers in Quebec. 

Interesting observation about the 'ritual' aspect.  I need to bring that up to engineering, since it likely applies to more than our non-english speaking customers. 

I write this at the same time I have to translate some maintenance documents.

As a bilingual French-Canadian living in a non-bilingual part of Quebec, I can tell you that broken English is sometimes painful to listen to. At least most of our global customers do speak English (be it as a second language), so though they have their own accent and dialect, they are understandable.

And I like that "ritual" observation. It can be quite a challenge to change a well ingrained behavior/habit that worked, where you go through the motions without a second thought and low chances of mistakes. Even if it isn't optimal by modern standards.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

1348775750767.jpg.7a1b311468424b105036e078c1dde34a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I've observed the "invocation of the ritual" among those without a solid grounding in technical subjects for several decades.

The technical device does its "magic" only when "the ritual" is correctly performed.  Deviate from the learned ritual by even an iota and it all breaks down.  Small changes in the system require the "learning" of a new "spell",  just changing the "old spell" to fit the new circumstances is outside of the realm of their comprehension.

It's the basic dichotomy between the technically conversant and the non-technical mentalities.  While a person with technical competencies in one are can usually pick up concepts and procedures in other technical subjects relatively quickly, for the non-technical mind, especially the ones for whom technologies are indistinguishable from magic, it's like the difference between fire magic and earth magic.  Different subject so it requires learning from the ground up.

It's one of {Arthur C.] Clarke's Laws in real world application.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've observed the "invocation of the ritual" among those without a solid grounding in technical subjects for several decades.

The technical device does its "magic" only when "the ritual" is correctly performed.  Deviate from the learned ritual by even an iota and it all breaks down.  Small changes in the system require the "learning" of a new "spell",  just changing the "old spell" to fit the new circumstances is outside of the realm of their comprehension.

It's the basic dichotomy between the technically conversant and the non-technical mentalities.  While a person with technical competencies in one are can usually pick up concepts and procedures in other technical subjects relatively quickly, for the non-technical mind, especially the ones for whom technologies are indistinguishable from magic, it's like the difference between fire magic and earth magic.  Different subject so it requires learning from the ground up.

It's one of {Arthur C.] Clarke's Laws in real world application.

GEM

Andi occasionally proves this, albeit I'm pretty sure it isn't deliberate on his part.

He's just.. really good at getting computers to do stuff. He swears up and down it's not hard, but for some reason, he's the only one who can consistently keep stuff working.

This has not been always been a benefit; there's only the one of him.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

That's right, Crazy Crow isn't weird. He's as normal as you are. :poke:

Grump: I have no idea why CC decided to say hello.

Grump ->EVERY TIME HE SEES A CROW: ::D:

:lol:

I think CC learned human expressions pretty quick. As soon as he met me he knew EXACTLY how to get me to do what he wants.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Whoo!  Second try with BenQ to get an accessory seems to be going a lot better than the first, where I was told to wait until "sometime in the fall".  Second guy understands I need the part sooner than later and basically went "well, you tried through your usual means and clearly want to get this, and our Canadian direct sales isn't up yet...  How about we just do a direct order for you and then ship it to you?  You'll have to pay shipping, but you'll get the needed accessories a lot sooner". 

Hell yes second support person, you made my day, doubly so because losing two 2" square patches on my desk is a lot easier to deal with than two 8" circular ones...  Doubly so because they'll be at the edge of the desk instead! 

• Like 7

Got to a work site this morning and opened my gear bag to grab some PPE and immediately realized I forgot to scrub my gear over the weekend. My reflective vest, which gets covered in nasty stuff every week, had been sharing a bag with the rest of my gear in a car trunk in 90+ degree heat for nearly a week. The smell was something else entirely. Best I can describe it as was a couple of skunks having hate sex in a pool of vanilla scented sunscreen while a sweaty meth addict sprayed them down with bug spray. A truly unique nasal assault to be sure. Luckily I was already wearing a neon yellow shirt so I decided to leave the safety vest behind. Unfortunately it had been wadded up in my hardhat the whole time and I couldn't skip wearing that. 

Anyways, here's a pretty flower I saw today.

IMG_20210708_112009889.thumb.jpg.07d165c54654dbef5b5b8a1a1b1dca67.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Inarah said:

What are you blogging about? What have you worked on lately? What are your plans? What would you rather be doing? Are you looking forward to anything this summer? (don't have to answer, just questions to think about)

Currently working on a blog post about wrecking your brushes.

The rest is all very complicated.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Got to a work site this morning and opened my gear bag to grab some PPE and immediately realized I forgot to scrub my gear over the weekend. My reflective vest, which gets covered in nasty stuff every week, had been sharing a bag with the rest of my gear in a car trunk in 90+ degree heat for nearly a week. The smell was something else entirely. Best I can describe it as was a couple of skunks having hate sex in a pool of vanilla scented sunscreen while a sweaty meth addict sprayed them down with bug spray. A truly unique nasal assault to be sure. Luckily I was already wearing a neon yellow shirt so I decided to leave the safety vest behind. Unfortunately it had been wadded up in my hardhat the whole time and I couldn't skip wearing that. 

I had a pair of sandals that could've won the world's stinkiest shoe contest one year. They had insoles. I walked through fresh silage with them, then sweated all over them. Between the foot sweat and the silage microbes, something akin to an ochre jelly formed on them. There was seriously a rust coloured film. They were horrible. Back in the day, outdoor stores used to carry polypropline socks. They were great at wicking sweat away from your feet, but they smelled truly wretched. I left them in the car on a hot day one time. Never again.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

The heat's here. I 3D printed from PLA a replacement mail box flag several months ago.

Today it melted.

Not entirely, but the flag did decide it was waaaay too hot so it laid down on the top of the mail box. I've gently put it back over to the side. Hopefully, it'll reform into something that's at least usable.

• Haha 10
  • Sad 2

Hrmph..All of us are vaccinated Oldest Vixen only got one shot and needs the second one..

Aaaaanndd now youngest tested positive.

One of her friends tested postive after feeling like having a cold, then she started to feel like having a cold...and bingo.

So..she's confined to her room.

We will stay at distance.

Biggest problem, Oldest Vixen switched sportsclubs so she wanted to say goodbye to the kids she trained by going out for icecream this saturday.

That won't happen now.

Also she was going to look at a house...won't happen.

So she's sad and furious at the same time.

She thinks Youngest should not have gone out with the person that got it first because she wasn't in her bubble and not one of her closest friends.

Let's just say I rather go peacekeeping between two warring tribes than this..

Many younger people are going out again, most have had one or two shots already.

They should keep their distance, but... yeah... that's what's happening.

The younger ones won't ( usually) get really sick and most seniors have had their shots.

Now hoping we will not get sick, if we do the vaccin is supposed to make sure nobody gets it bad.

As our rules stand now, we won't have to do anything till we develop symptoms since we're vaccinated, but oldest vixen needs to be tested because she only got one shot yet.

With a little luck she's negative and then she can at least go see the house.

It will be too late for the goodby icecream though.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 24