Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily lesson of historical happenings for July 12th:

• 1493 – Hartmann Schedel's Nuremberg Chronicle, one of the best-documented early printed books, was published.

• 1580 – The Ostrog Bible, one of the earliest printed Bibles in a Slavic language, was published.

• 1962 – The Rolling Stones performed for the first time at London's Marquee Club.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:29 AM, sumbloke said:

So I realised...

Nathan Fillion went from a captain in Firefly, to a detective (sort of) in Castle, to a patrol officer in The Rookie. Does this mean he's going to star in a remake of Police Academy? 

If he does, it also needs Bruce Campbell in the cast. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Slept in today and am moving slowly. Not feeling bad just lacking in motivation a bit. I've been getting up extra early lately to try and get some things done before it gets too hot. Hasn't been going great because of stupid little breakdowns. Not too pressured because everything is pretty much cooked to crap already and not much there. Going to be a tight winter for feed again in my area. At least today is only supposed to be hot and not please just shoot me already hot like yesterday. It was so hot that even my cold blooded wife wanted to stay inside with the ac running.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

If he does, it also needs Bruce Campbell in the cast. 

How about you just take everyone from the McHale's navy movie cast, except Tom Arnold, and just do a version with them? I love how they pretty much wrote their own lines.

On my way home from work, a woman decided that she didn't want to wait for me to finish crossing in a marked crosswalk at a 4-way stop. I looked over, saw her stop (after the person in front of her didn't) and started crossing. Checked the other side, just to be sure, and she's about to run me down. I throw my arms wide and stop. She motions me to *keep going* and when I verbally unload on her, she just goes around me. I feel the need to write a letter to someone, because this continues to happen. They put a 4-way stop on a 35 MPH road between two stop lights, not far from a few busy roads. Every few months, there's the remains of tail lights in the crosswalk. Someone is going to die before too long, you all forgot how to drive during lockdown, and I just hope it isn't me.

In other news, I'm finally giving in and tracking down as many "Raygun Gothic" type minis I can. No idea what I'm going to do with them quite yet, but I'm getting ideas. I might just re-skin a minis game I already have and pretend it's suppose to be about rockets and rayguns. :ph34r:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Starting to primer up all the figures that need it for the RCon games. Probably should have started this allot earlier but I know I'm not going to get everything painted, so things may just get wash or something simple. I know at least they won't be bare materials!!

• Like 8

This post is for all the Canadians expressing their loathing of UPS in the Bones 5 enthusiasm thread:

They don't just do it to you on the way into your country, they do it on the way out. 

The company I contract to won't willingly ship anything from Calgary to the US using UPS's Saturday Overnight service.  Why?  Because 9 times out of 10, the Sat Overnight package winds up getting stuck in US Customs until Monday, and then delivered on Tuesday, or even Wednesday. And when this happens, UPS refuses to refund any of the shipping.  The thing that really sucks about this is that UPS knows this happens on most shipments, and still offers the Saturday Overnight service from Canada to the US at premium prices.  No disclaimers or warnings, or anything. 

It's been this way for at least 15 years. And yet at least once or twice a year, I have a customer who insists some part be sent to them for Saturday Overnight and jumps through all our hoops to do so. We won't do it unless they sign a disclaimer acknowledging that they probably won't get their package on time, and that they have to pay for it anyway.   

For awhile, we tried just telling customers that UPS doesn't do Saturday delivery from Canada, but too many people got mad at us for saying that because they can go to the UPS website and find info that it supposedly does, and then accuse us of lying.  Technically, I guess it was lying, but the reality is (for us, at least) that they effectively don't.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

In other news, I'm finally giving in and tracking down as many "Raygun Gothic" type minis I can. No idea what I'm going to do with them quite yet, but I'm getting ideas. I might just re-skin a minis game I already have and pretend it's suppose to be about rockets and rayguns. :ph34r:

May I recommend 7tv: Inch-High Spy-Fi?  You'd still have to reskin some of it, but it's designed for that, and a lot of fun. 

Spent all morning trying to explain how and why to a customer that she is wrong and that she has overbilled her customers. 

There was a bug in a recent version of our software that results in account running balances not resetting, so the balances continue to climb - imagine paying your MasterCard bill, but the balance on the website doesn't go down, even though they show you made the payment and your statement shows the correct balance.  That's essentially what's happening here.  If you run the report one way, it shows the incorrect running balance, if you invoice the other, it creates the correct balance by totaling all the transactions for the period. 

A site owner who was recently upgraded managed to get this version and noticed this after a few months, and we fixed it for him.  Now I'm arguing with his bookkeeper who is trying to find "missing" transactions to explain those incorrect balances on those older reports, because she used the running balance to bill their customers, and now one of them is disputing the balance.  The solution is rerun the report, look at that balance, and bill the customer the correct amount, which is lower.   

But to her, that means there are transactions missing, because she feels the higher amount must be right.  She's unwilling to admit that she overbilled her customers, even though it's not her fault, and the problem has been fixed. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Just ran across the most barebones Router/modem interface I've ever seen.  Technical stuff spoilered.

Spoiler

All I can do is look at what's on the network, rename the Wi-Fi, assign each connected device a name and sort of setup a forwarded port. 

- can't see the ISP assigned IP address and gateway or even connection status

- can't set any device to a reserved DHCP IP.

- can't set the size of the DHCP Pool.

- can't block a network attached device from accessing the internet. 

- can set up a port forward, but since you can't set a device to a reserved address or set a static IP outside the DHCP pool, the port forwarding keeps breaking. 

- can't turn off the Wi-Fi. 
- can't reboot/restart the modem from the web interface. 

Can't get our equipment to communicate through the site's internet connection as a result.  This stinks because it means having to tell the site that they need to work with their ISP and replace/upgrade the modem/router with something better.  And of course, this site has no one tech savvy enough to do that. 

I get that ISP's like to dumb down their stuff so that it just works for most of their customers, and so that customers can't break stuff by fiddling - but there is a point at which things get too dumb. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3