Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Experienced my first chicken fried steak.

::o:

Something like that does not DESERVE to be that tasty!

Then again, I've never had what Grump calls "real" fried chicken, either. Which is later this week.

Beating the snot out of a cheap steak with a rubber mallet is cathartic. ::P: 

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Experienced my first chicken fried steak.

::o:

Oh, you poor child.  A good chicken fried steak is a slice of heaven.   Now I want one.  Actually, they're on the menu plan this week already. 

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Just wait til you try really good fried okra!

Ahem.  The words "really good" and "okra" do not belong in the same sentence.  :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Oh, you poor child.  A good chicken fried steak is a slice of heaven.   Now I want one.  Actually, they're on the menu plan this week already. 

Ahem.  The words "really good" and "okra" do not belong in the same sentence.  :wacko:

Poorly cooked okra is awful, properly done it is great!

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, haldir said:

I've never been in one. I don't think there are any in Boise. Definitely none here in town.

We're in the Salt Lake area on vacation. When we drove past one on the freeway, I added it to the list of things to do. 

We got off easy, with just a set of small cutting boards and a bar of chocolate, but our list of "to consider" items is...rather long. 

I can confirm that the meatballs are, in fact, quite delicious. :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

We're in the Salt Lake area on vacation. When we drove past one on the freeway, I added it to the list of things to do. 

We got off easy, with just a set of small cutting boards and a bar of chocolate, but our list of "to consider" items is...rather long. 

Huzzah! 

My wife & I are like that when we go into places like Home Dewpah & Looooooes. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Welp, sick again. I swear I’m going to spend the rest of my life getting sick every two weeks. 

Anyway, this time I have a horrible headache (not helped by my daughter slamming her head into mine) and a throat so swollen I can barely talk. So fun!

• Sad 16

Tonight’s dinner in case you all need menu ideas:

Korean BBQ chicken wings, carrot ginger soup, strawberry pistachio salad, lobster ravioli with tequila lime shrimp, all washed down with a peach mule. 

I may have combined my dinner with the family’s but it sounds more like a proper coursed dinner that way. 

• Like 8

What Happened Wednesday for July 14th (posted early because I have to be up and out the door way early in the morning):

• 1865 – The first ascent of the Matterhorn was completed by Edward Whymper and his party, four of whom passed away during the descent.

• 1960 – Jane Goodall arrived at the Gombe Stream Reserve in present-day Tanzania to begin her study of chimpanzees in the wild.

• 2015 – NASA's New Horizons probe performed the first flyby of Pluto, and thus completed the initial survey of the Solar System.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

A what? O_o

Honestly no idea what's being talked about. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Chicken fried steak, country gravy, and taters!  Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Now I want one.

For those not in the know, it's pretty much what it sounds like: steak that's been battered and fried like fried chicken.  I never could eat the school's (grammar or middle), but I tried it again a few years back and all I can say is that times had changed (for the better).

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, strawhat said:

Chicken fried steak, country gravy, and taters!  Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

Now I want one.

For those not in the know, it's pretty much what it sounds like: steak that's been battered and fried like fried chicken.  I never could eat the school's (grammar or middle), but I tried it again a few years back and all I can say is that times had changed (for the better).

Battered both in the sense that it is covered in batter and in the sense that it has been battered with a hammer. ::):

Take a round steak, fold some plastic wrap around it, then mash it flat with a rubber mallet, flip it over and  bash it again.

drench it in a milk/egg mix, dip it in flour -pressing it into the flour, nice and hard, then fry....

Then cover with a country lour and dripping gravy, with chunks off breakfast sausage mixed in.

It never even occurred to me that Megan might never have had it - one of the few dishes that my mother could do well.

Last day for Heroic Maps 60% off sale on DTRPG, some good stuff there,

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Well, spent all day saturday (7 hrs) in the ER in Red Deer. Which was actually better than spending the weekend with my moody, hormonal 15 year old niece. I finally saw a plastic surgeon. She was amazing. She agreed with me the middle joint needed to be cut and drained, so she cut a nice vertical line down the middle of it and left it open to drain. It actually felt so good. I've had 3 days of IV antibiotics, which made me vomit, but I'm all done with them now. The surgeon looked at the finger again today and said it looks great and the numbness will go away in a few months and I should have normal ROM in it. Off work for 2 weeks. The bones box arrived today, and it was my offhand, so I'll have plenty of time to explore the contents of the box. 

Happy it worked out!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Corsair said:
8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Poorly cooked okra is awful, properly done it is great!

and the line between the two is very, VERY thin.  There is no middle ground with Okra.......

11 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Well, spent all day saturday (7 hrs) in the ER in Red Deer. Which was actually better than spending the weekend with my moody, hormonal 15 year old niece. I finally saw a plastic surgeon. She was amazing. She agreed with me the middle joint needed to be cut and drained, so she cut a nice vertical line down the middle of it and left it open to drain. It actually felt so good. I've had 3 days of IV antibiotics, which made me vomit, but I'm all done with them now. The surgeon looked at the finger again today and said it looks great and the numbness will go away in a few months and I should have normal ROM in it. Off work for 2 weeks. The bones box arrived today, and it was my offhand, so I'll have plenty of time to explore the contents of the box. 

So glad to hear that you finally got to see someone who knew what was going on.  Here's to a smooth recovery.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

Fond memories of the Salt Lake City Area. Church is doing major renos to Temple Square. When my sister visited, the Asians loved her little blonde blue eyed children and asked to take photos of them. She thought it was kind of weird, but let them. If you haven't visited Mt. Timpanagos, it's just south of SLC. It's got a cave at the top, but it's a heck of a climb to get there. 

I used to really like the chocolate wafer cake at Ikea. They have frozen vittles to go. 

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

A what? O_o

Honestly no idea what's being talked about. 

It's a Deep South thing, like having waffles with fried chicken. I hate gravy, but I do like a good poutine, how weird is that?

• Like 7