Randomness XVIII: Ex-Vee-Triple-Eye

20 hours ago, haldir said:

Anyone know if Army Painter spray primers went up in price? Last time I bought a can (either white primer or dragon red) it was around 11 to 14. I'm now seeing them for around 18. My FLGS can order cans so I don't have to worry about shipping costs but was curious on the price first.

edit: checked their site & a can has a price for about 13.50. Sounds like overzealous sellers jackin' up prices.

I just picked up a can from my FLGS last weekend, and it was under $12.  I don't think it was old stock, either, because they didn't have it the time before when I was there. 

• Like 7

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my coworker committed suicide over the weekend.

I knew he was having problems, but not how bad.

Early twenties and homeless, he didn't see anyway forward.

If I had known, I could have put him contact with some social workers, it's been a while, but I still have contacts in the field.

Just, way too young, without the experience to know he would survive this.

• Sad 25

had a good day playing killteam today, until the transitive property of rules lawyering killed the game. Someone had rules lawyered the tournament organizer into believing an absolute nonsense interpretation of the psychic rules at a previous tournament. that you can't use psybolt if you can't see the closest model... Then things ground to a halt as we tried to explain it was nonsense. But since it's a dead game, there'll never be an official FAQ to put an end to this dumb argument. (well other than just banning the only two lists that cause it...)

If you ever write rules PLEASE put a line at the beginning explaining that if you say "requires line of sight closest model" you mean closest of the models you can see or being able to see the closest model...

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

fake.jpeg

There is some truth in this, and some creative spinning.  Those aren't fully wooden planes, as is noticeable if you look at the assembly they're hoisting up.  It's either a wooden or metal frame, with canvas stretched over it that is then painted.  While plenty of decoy fields were made by both sides, one wouldn't waste a ton of wood (let alone months of time) to build a decoy.

The wooden bombs were real though - the RAF was known to "hit" the fake fields with wooden bombs on occasion (probably to be all "ha ha, we know it's fake"), but there's no way they'd send just a single one to a fake field as it's too risky - it was probably done alongside bombing of other airfields.  That particular one was dropped in Normandy in 1944 (although for some reason, some reposts state it's from 1940 despite the museum plaque being clearly visible).

• Like 5

Fair week..... I hate fair week.......... by the gods I hate fair week..... one more time... I hate fair week. 

Thanks for letting me vent. as far as fair weeks go, this one was going fairly smooth... until tonight. My youngest is in the fair and she has her farmers permit. meaning she can drive to and from work on the farm. She raises a few steers so her employer's daughter can show a steer, Youngest also get to show a steer and maybe a heifer. This year since she can drive now, and the fact that there is only animals to deal with instead of animals, arts and crafts, paintings, and maybe cooking, clothes... and what ever else she wanted to do. She showed her chickens and her rabbit. she got Grand Championshowman in both and the rabbit got Grand Champion and so did her goose...... now that was where things started to go south. I got home after the judging was done. wife and youngest stayed to do what they needed done. My truck has been commandeered by the youngest to go do her cattle this morning and the wife had her new truck, that just left my youngest sons car. he is not going to school this summer so it has sat around in the garage. it was fine till I decided to go to the school after I was back from the fair..... I got in and the door would not latch....so now I have to go to the car parts store in town and ask them what I need.... there are a few screws missing from the latch, that much I can see. anyways, so it has had a bad turn.... now we wait for it to get worse. My faith in fair week has been restored... oh and it is usually hotter than the sun here during the fair, 112 or so, this year today was not that hot maybe in the low 80s...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

If you ever write rules PLEASE put a line at the beginning explaining that if you say "requires line of sight closest model" you mean closest of the models you can see or being able to see the closest model...

This is why I hate game tournaments.  There are just too many ways to creatively reinterpret rules to one's benefit, and the more rules authors try to defeat that, the more convoluted and bulky the rules become. 

Should I ever publish a set of game rules, somewhere in the rules will be the statement "These rules were never intended for tournament play. All disagreements about the meaning of rule wording shall be resolved by a die roll."

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This is why I hate game tournaments.  There are just too many ways to creatively reinterpret rules to one's benefit, and the more rules authors try to defeat that, the more convoluted and bulky the rules become. 

Should I ever publish a set of game rules, somewhere in the rules will be the statement "These rules were never intended for tournament play. All disagreements about the meaning of rule wording shall be resolved by a die roll."

Funny I said something similar on the ride home. "if you need to argue for two minutes or more, roll a die to determine the outcome for that day, then email me the question and I will add it to the faq"

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

had a good day playing killteam today, until the transitive property of rules lawyering killed the game. Someone had rules lawyered the tournament organizer into believing an absolute nonsense interpretation of the psychic rules at a previous tournament. that you can't use psybolt if you can't see the closest model... Then things ground to a halt as we tried to explain it was nonsense. But since it's a dead game, there'll never be an official FAQ to put an end to this dumb argument. (well other than just banning the only two lists that cause it...)

Yeah, GW has learned from such ambiguity and has tightened up the more recent rules to reflect that, such as in 9th Edition. But hey, new Kill Team will be coming out soon with a new rules system!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

One of my coworker committed suicide over the weekend.

I knew he was having problems, but not how bad.

Early twenties and homeless, he didn't see anyway forward.

If I had known, I could have put him contact with some social workers, it's been a while, but I still have contacts in the field.

Just, way too young, without the experience to know he would survive this.

That's always hard. I've been there and almost made the same choice, but for the fear of making my mom cry. It's better now, but it was close . So if you need anything or just a strange guy on the other end of the internet tubes to talk, and remember, you didn't know. In most cases no one could have, so don't let the ache of 'I could have done something' gnaw at you.  

• Like 9

My 2nd dose side effect is weird. Mild hangover sort of feels day after - not bad. I also have a puffy armpit lymphnode. Makes shaving weird. Doesn't look weird until you compare it to the non-puffy one, then go WTF. Because on Lean Me, the left armpit has what looks like a big ol' fat blob, and the other one is curved inward... instead of outward.

Bodies are so darn weird.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Ohhh yeah.  Infinity had an "interesting" one where someone reinterpreted "you can move between buildings that are half a model's silhouette width" as "I can cut through buildings to extend my movement".  Yeah, that wound up being FAQ'd by Corvus...  Apparently there was a LOT of bad blood about that player for a while because of it, since many saw it as cheating (and oh hey, it was). 

• Like 7

Good morning, it's the 200th day of the year. Here's some things that happened in history on July 19th:

• 1545 – The Tudor warship Mary Rose sank off Portsmouth; in 1982 the wreck would be salvaged in one of the most complex and expensive projects in the history of maritime archaeology.

• 1843 – The SS Great Britain was launched, becoming the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull and screw propeller, becoming the largest vessel afloat in the world.

• 1903 – Maurice Garin of France won the first Tour de France.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2